ring identification

Dan

About a year ago I found a strange hoard (if you could call it that) it consisted of 13 copper rings.1 silver ring would like to know the age of the silver ring and also the use off the bronze rings and why they were buried with the silver ring.
Attachments
IMG_0365.JPG
ring.jpg
IMG_0364.JPG
Steve_JT

Can you see a hallmark on the ring? Hallmarking began in 1300 introduced by a statute of Edward I

If no hallmark it could still be modern if its below a certain weight of 7.78 grams but it does show some age to it :thumbsup:

Needs to be seen in the flesh for a proper look, but if buried with the other rings does suggest medieval, one to take to the museum for the
FLO to see, also take the other rings too

The other rings are difficult to determine their use but possibly horse harness related or even curtain rings?

Regards Steve
A foolish faith in authority, is the worst enemy of truth." Albert Einstein
Dan

It definitely does not have a hallmark but weighs 2g
Oxgirl

Hi Dan, you have a treasure case there so you need to get hold of your FLO and report the rings. The bronze ones will be classed as part of the hoard as they were found with the silver finger ring. You have 14 days to report it from when you realise it is treasure so don’t worry that you found it last year. You can find the contact details of your local FLO here if you don’t already have it. Apologies if I’’m teaching you to suck eggs though!

On dates the ring could be as early as 1100-1200 like this one; certainly it’s medieval anyway. Love the file marks on the bronze rings. Are they different sizes? They could be sizing rings I guess (to know the finger size) although they are normally multi use items for joining leather pieces (junction rings). I have a few of those type and they are very tactile. Great, unusual, hoard :thumbsup:
Yes I really don’t like Roman coins, I’m not joking
Easylife

The ring maybe dates 1500 - 1650 as it is similar to this Treasure item. :thumbsup:
https://finds.org.uk/database/artefacts ... /id/937747
D2 - 13"x11" coil - audio only.
Dan

Thanks for all the IDs the rings are roughly the same size but a couple are slightly smaller and I will be reporting this when my flo is next available