I Had To Carry This One Home

keyfits

There must are a lot of you like me who don't mind finding lead but this one really boosted my scrap bucket.

Whilst detecting at the top end of the field my coil picked up a banging signal which had to be dug, so in went the spade and out came a lump of lead only 5" long by 3" deep but quite heavy, as I collect lead for a big weigh in I carried the lump around with me for about an hour whilst I finished detecting on my way back to the car.
At home I weighed the lump and the needle spun round to 5lb, no wonder my arm ached. It's not often a lump of scrap lead is the find of the day!!!
Attachments
H.jpg
Steve_JT

I found a lot in one hole a few years ago, largest piece 8 Lb. 8 oz (3.9 Kg) one inch at the thickest part, thin on the outside edges, and smaller pieces, total weight of the lot was 16 Lb. 4 oz (7.4 Kg)

Luckily the car was only about 100 metres away
DSC07019.JPG
Regards Steve
A foolish faith in authority, is the worst enemy of truth." Albert Einstein
Blackadder43

That is some lump of lead for sure :shock:
keyfits

Steve_JT wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 5:59 pm I found a lot in one hole a few years ago, largest piece 8 Lb. 8 oz (3.9 Kg) one inch at the thickest part, thin on the outside edges, and smaller pieces, total weight of the lot was 16 Lb. 4 oz (7.4 Kg)

Luckily the car was only about 100 metres away

DSC07019.JPG

Regards Steve
Wow must have been a lead factory.
Easylife

keyfits wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 5:18 pm ....as I collect lead for a big weigh in I carried the lump around with me for about an hour whilst I finished detecting on my way back to the car.
Anything heavy or large I just leave by a fence post or tree and collect on the way out. :thumbsup:
D2 - 13"x11" coil - audio only.
Oxgirl

It’s funny how big lumps of lead turn up sometimes. By god though they don’t half weigh the finds pouch down :lol:

I’ve had a few big pieces, including a big sheet of lead I left in the corner of one field to pick up on the next trip. It had gone when I returned.

My first finds bucket is way to heavy to lift now and the second is getting that way so needs weighing in soon. Lead is a good price right now at just over a £1 a kg, and over the year getting a good volume ain’t that hard :thumbsup:
Yes I really don’t like Roman coins, I’m not joking
Steve_JT

My local scrapyard is a 5 minute drive away, I sort my scrap after every session into 3 little tubs, lead, copper alloy and ferrous, when their full transfer them to larger tubs, it’s surprising how quick they fill

Regards Steve
keyfits

Oxgirl wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 7:47 pm It’s funny how big lumps of lead turn up sometimes. By god though they don’t half weigh the finds pouch down :lol:

I’ve had a few big pieces, including a big sheet of lead I left in the corner of one field to pick up on the next trip. It had gone when I returned.

My first finds bucket is way to heavy to lift now and the second is getting that way so needs weighing in soon. Lead is a good price right now at just over a £1 a kg, and over the year getting a good volume ain’t that hard :thumbsup:
It sounds like your in for a bumper weigh in then.
keyfits

Easylife wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 7:11 pm Anything heavy or large I just leave by a fence post or tree and collect on the way out. :thumbsup:
Sound advice.
keyfits

Steve_JT wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 8:22 pm My local scrapyard is a 5 minute drive away, I sort my scrap after every session into 3 little tubs, lead, copper alloy and ferrous, when their full transfer them to larger tubs, it’s surprising how quick they fill

Regards Steve
It makes digging the scrap worth the effort, a winner every time..
Oxgirl

Steve_JT wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 8:22 pm My local scrapyard is a 5 minute drive away, I sort my scrap after every session into 3 little tubs, lead, copper alloy and ferrous, when their full transfer them to larger tubs, it’s surprising how quick they fill

Regards Steve
Are they ok with mixed types of copper? I am always worried about how they’ll react if I gave them bronze and other copper alloys together.
Yes I really don’t like Roman coins, I’m not joking
Steve_JT

Hi Cath

I try to sort the any really heavy brass and bronze such as old taps and ball cock arms and obvious heavy brass stuff, but normally they take the lot mixed as copper alloy, I tend to wait until the tubs get heavy then pop up

Its a really nice modern site they have relocated to, we are on first name terms and he knows the scrap comes from detecting as he has other customers that detect

Regards Steve
Dave The Slave

That was a good bonus.
All goes towards the costs. One way of getting some cash in . petrol has gone up 45p a Gallon in the past month. :thumbdown:
Detecting friend, has weighed in lead before, now also have a bucket going for Brass from bomb fuze fragments, which were coming in at around 300g on the larger pieces.
Cheers, :thumbsup:
Dave.
Easylife

Oxgirl wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 1:11 pm Are they ok with mixed types of copper? I am always worried about how they’ll react if I gave them bronze and other copper alloys together.
You will get more for it if brass (mixed) and copper are separated. Copper fetches about 50% more than brass. But I can't be bothered to separate it so it all goes as brass. Though it about pays for the detecting fuel. :thumbsup:
D2 - 13"x11" coil - audio only.
Saffron

I just do not believe the amount of lead targets that I have been digging recently.

Not really worth me taking it to the scrap yard though, as its all air rifle pellets :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

Currently have the same issue on 3 different permissions :pulling hair out: :pulling hair out:

When you get the signal you suspect that its another air rifle pellet but they have to be dug "just in case".

Evan