I Had To Carry This One Home

keyfits

Dave The Slave wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 2:25 pm That was a good bonus.
All goes towards the costs. One way of getting some cash in . petrol has gone up 45p a Gallon in the past month. :thumbdown:
Detecting friend, has weighed in lead before, now also have a bucket going for Brass from bomb fuze fragments, which were coming in at around 300g on the larger pieces.
Cheers, :thumbsup:
Dave.
If petrol was underground i think i would forget the gold and silver and discriminate everything else out and just detect for petrol!!!
keyfits

Saffron wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 8:40 pm I just do not believe the amount of lead targets that I have been digging recently.

Not really worth me taking it to the scrap yard though, as its all air rifle pellets :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

Currently have the same issue on 3 different permissions :pulling hair out: :pulling hair out:

When you get the signal you suspect that its another air rifle pellet but they have to be dug "just in case".

Evan
Have you ever thought of getting an air rifle?
pmm212

Hi guys i recently had a conversation with a guy who was telling me about low alpha lead!! Apparently it's old lead with no radiation, the type using in medical and scientific devices as well as phones. There is now a shortage of this lead and is supposedly trading for 50-200 x the value of scrap lead! Making those little dribbles valuable.............. Have read up a bit and seems to ring true but can I find where to sell it??? I recently gave 10kg of lead to a mate who makes fishing weights before I found out about la lead............. could have been a new detector now it's 5 oz breakaways!!!
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Dr otek pin pointer and etrac, not everyone's cuppa, but we're finding stuff
keyfits

pmm212 wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 9:30 am Hi guys i recently had a conversation with a guy who was telling me about low alpha lead!! Apparently it's old lead with no radiation, the type using in medical and scientific devices as well as phones. There is now a shortage of this lead and is supposedly trading for 50-200 x the value of scrap lead! Making those little dribbles valuable.............. Have read up a bit and seems to ring true but can I find where to sell it??? I recently gave 10kg of lead to a mate who makes fishing weights before I found out about la lead............. could have been a new detector now it's 5 oz breakaways!!!
Great information. I thought that old lead was more pure but did not realise that it was called Low Alpha Lead. After looking it up apparently Low Alpha Lead is pre 1945 such as church roof lead, etc. and is used in electronics manufacturing amongst other things, not sure if this also applies to ancient lead such as Roman lead? But as already stated the scrap yard will probably only give you the price for standard scrap lead and make a bigger profit.
When i eventually take my lead to the scrap yard I will be telling them its Alpha Lead and maybe they will think I know what I am talking about and give me a better price, "don't think so"
Easylife

pmm212 wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 9:30 am Hi guys i recently had a conversation with a guy who was telling me about low alpha lead!! Apparently it's old lead with no radiation, the type using in medical and scientific devices as well as phones. There is now a shortage of this lead and is supposedly trading for 50-200 x the value of scrap lead! Making those little dribbles valuable.............. Have read up a bit and seems to ring true but can I find where to sell it?
If there was actually any great demand for it buyers would be easy to find. So maybe it's just a myth? People have been asking the same question for years with no buyers found! :thumbsup:
D2 - 13"x11" coil - audio only.
Easylife

I once found two 5kg pig iron ingots in a field, not sure what they were doing there but they stayed there! ;)
D2 - 13"x11" coil - audio only.
keyfits

Easylife wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 2:14 pm I once found two 5kg pig iron ingots in a field, not sure what they were doing there but they stayed there! ;)
There are times when you just cant take it home!!!
the-roman

I save all the lead and scarp copper, brass etc. I got £70 at the last weigh in. Nice little bonus and helps towards batteries, fuel etc :thumbsup:
Saffron

keyfits wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 9:17 am Have you ever thought of getting an air rifle?
I have one. The down side of digging these pellets is the horrid thought that on two of the permissions I might have been resonsible for them from when I shot there in my youth :oops: :oops:

Evan
keyfits

Saffron wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 6:35 pm I have one. The down side of digging these pellets is the horrid thought that on two of the permissions I might have been resonsible for them from when I shot there in my youth :oops: :oops:

Evan
What goes around comes around I guess. We have all done it, boys will be boys.
keyfits

the-roman wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 5:42 pm I save all the lead and scarp copper, brass etc. I got £70 at the last weigh in. Nice little bonus and helps towards batteries, fuel etc :thumbsup:
Thats a nice little earner you had, was you detecting on a church roof by any chance?
the-roman

keyfits wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 7:05 pm Thats a nice little earner you had, was you detecting on a church roof by any chance?
Shhhhh :lol: no, but seriously, it was about a year and a half's worth to be fair. :thumbsup:
keyfits

the-roman wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 7:33 pm Shhhhh :lol: no, but seriously, it was about a year and a half's worth to be fair. :thumbsup:
Still a good amount though.