‘Common’ finds that you can’t find!

Oxgirl

Whilst out today I was thinking about this question and came up with a few things that I think qualify. I desperately want a penannular brooch. I also have never found a buckle with an integral plate which seem common for other people. A decorated spindle whorl too. I’ve loads of plain ones but decorated ones aren’t found commonly in my area.

I’m lucky on the crotal bell front and have a few beehives too. Funny though how few very common items turn up for me - I found an Edward VII farthing today and I realised it was my first. Generally I have very few 19-20th century farthings but lots of halfpennies and pennies.
Yes I really don’t like Roman coins, I’m not joking
Easylife

Oxgirl wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 11:36 pm ......A decorated spindle whorl too. I’ve loads of plain ones but decorated ones aren’t found commonly in my area.
I haven't found a spindle whorl for perhaps 1 1/2 years on my local permissions, but before then quite a few showed with maybe 1 in 3 being decorative. Though they were all quite close to the field edges.
Oxgirl wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 11:36 pm I’m lucky on the crotal bell front and have a few beehives too.
A fair few crotals around here too but no beehive thimbles so far.
Oxgirl wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 11:36 pm Generally I have very few 19-20th century farthings but lots of halfpennies and pennies.
Those farthings are probably my most common coin find, sometimes I find about half a dozen but no other coins. I guess that with them being smaller that they are much easier to lose?
D2 - 13"x11" coil - audio only.
HolzHammer

The remote for my TV. :shock: :shock: :shock:

😂
HolzHammer

Great question Matt, hmmm let me think - Like Cath said earlier, there are loads but nothing comes to mind immediately!!!!
figgis

Found a fair few spindle whorls but, like Cath, never a decorated one. But that all comes down to the land and what it was used for - there's no doubt one in fields I've either not been on yet or haven't been on much :thumbsup:
TheFenTiger

I know they are not that common but a papal bulla. I have a mainly medieval site so the chances should be high with the number of seals I keep finding. I have never found a decent roman brooch so that would be on my list. Gold. More gold. Only found 1 random piece and 1 coin. Staters would be nice.
Dave
BuriedByTime&Dust

figgis wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 9:31 am Found a fair few spindle whorls but, like Cath, never a decorated one. But that all comes down to the land and what it was used for - there's no doubt one in fields I've either not been on yet or haven't been on much :thumbsup:
Same here with the whorls. Evidently they have more decorated ones in the north, whereas we tend to just get plain ones around these parts.
Dave The Slave

Just with coins, would love to find milled, especially one with a regional mint letter.
Hammereds seem to elude me too.
Cheers, :thumbsup:
Dave.
figgis

Never had so much as a whiff of a purse bar
Oxgirl

Oxgirl wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 11:36 pm Whilst out today I was thinking about this question and came up with a few things that I think qualify. I desperately want a penannular brooch. I also have never found a buckle with an integral plate which seem common for other people. A decorated spindle whorl too. I’ve loads of plain ones but decorated ones aren’t found commonly in my area.

I’m lucky on the crotal bell front and have a few beehives too. Funny though how few very common items turn up for me - I found an Edward VII farthing today and I realised it was my first. Generally I have very few 19-20th century farthings but lots of halfpennies and pennies.
Whooped with joy today cause I can now scratch the ‘buckle with integral plate’ of my list. It was on the appropriately named buckle field that used to gift numerous buckles per visit but is now very, very quiet. In fact I’ve not found a buckle on it in months! Come to think of it I’ve not even any musket balls now either and I used to have a bag full on each visit :lol:
I’ll post photos tomorrow :D
Yes I really don’t like Roman coins, I’m not joking
mattjb

Oxgirl wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 10:13 pm Whooped with joy today cause I can now scratch the ‘buckle with integral plate’ of my list. It was on the appropriately named buckle field that used to gift numerous buckles per visit but is now very, very quiet. In fact I’ve not found a buckle on it in months! Come to think of it I’ve not even any musket balls now either and I used to have a bag full on each visit :lol:
I’ll post photos tomorrow :D
Nice when you can tick one off the list!
I’d had one with integral plate but none with plate, pin and buckle complete until earlier this year. Then two turned up in less than a week.Funny how it goes.