Impressed in the clod was the image of ??

Dave The Slave

Yesterday was our 4th visit to this field, weather was chilly with a breeze but the sun was out, as was a Red Kite. Nice to see it gliding at a fairly low level, the wingspan of these things..
Going to start the report at the end but also with a teaser.
Final signal, pinpointed target, took a scoop of earth, checked hole and target was on spade. Let the soil drop gently and the first thing i noticed was a geometric impression on a clod of what had been there .............
Decided to detect diagonally across to the general area of where i had found buckles and last weeks post bag seal but ended up going and doing a right angle. First hour and a half did not turn up much, think i only dug 7 signals.
Reaching the area decided to continue outwards from where i had previously gridded, almost immediately, Georgian Halfpenny, indecipherable but my first coin from this field. Within a minute and a further yard or two a surface find, although it was the detector that spotted it, pin fire cartridge, do like finding these.. Next good signal was a pendulum shaped piece of.
lead that had been made specifically for a purpose, totally flat on the back and weighs 5oz although the neck attachment is missing.

Then had a piece come up i have requested Id help with, initially gave a signal of 61/62 which is usually foil, although i did once get a Silver coin on that readout. Extracted on 2nd scoop and as i uncovered a bit, could see gilding and it was like a squashed ring. Went over to my friend who is more upto date on detecting finds and we did a brief clean of the encrusted soil, as it was still a tube shape. Mentioned a piece had fallen off so she came over to help and soon found the tiny fragment. While looking for that, she exclaimed something and my heart was racing, as i thought something else was there, alas it was just the excitement of my find and set us both laughing. Now confirmed as a seal fob frame, not had one of those before
While in that area she went down the slope and found the gilded buckle thingy. Quite ornate and when whole, would not have been from one of the general populace.
After doing some more gridding in the general vicinity, time to start heading back to car. Found another ring buckle , 3rd one from this section of the field, which i believe was the boundaries of older smaller fields.
Nearing the car another signal which i teased you with that clod shot impression of what had been there. Yes you have all guessed it correct, a Saxon Saucer brooch had fallen away from the clod, actually wanted to take the clod home and preserve itthe image was so good.
As you can see, only had a very light brush clean, can see specs of gilt. Would you recommend running under a tap or would that wreck its appearance.?
Rest of the finds, firstly my mainly rusty stuff.
Now my friends, including couple of Livery buttons, piece of Crotal and a decorative fragment of buckle.
Probably my 2nd best days detecting, with 3 gilded items between us being a first.
Thanks for looking, :thumbsup:
Dave.
figgis

Ye gods, Dave, that is one special find, lad :clapping:

Personally, I give everything a spruce up in de-ionised or rain water but you could just pick off the crud with a toothpick
Easylife

That brooch is a lovely find which will look great when cleaned up. :thumbsup:
D2 - 13"x11" coil - audio only.
Oxgirl

:Star: :Star: :Star: :Party: Bucket lister!

Personally I’d not go near it with water but give it a brush with a soft toothbrush and use a wooden cocktail stick to get any mud out of the detail. Love to see it cleaned up :D
Yes I really don’t like Roman coins, I’m not joking
Blackadder43

Great Saxon find there Dave, and love the impression in the clod, glad you photoed that too :thumbsup:
Definately a bucket lister for sure :clapping:
shaggybfc

Looks like you have a site contaminated with green waste there Dave,,,, give it up mate, send me the permission, don't bother yourself finding this rubbish :lol:

Beauty of a find, well done. :thumbsup:
Always carefully proof-read what you've typed to see if you've any words out.
Deus with 11" X35 and 9" HF coils. MI 6 pinpointer.
shaggybfc

What have you done with the brooch Dave - I know that you was being very careful with it, but have you cleaned it any other than a light brush?
Dave The Slave

shaggybfc wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 3:29 pm What have you done with the brooch Dave - I know that you was being very careful with it, but have you cleaned it any other than a light brush?
Still giving a light brush every so often Andi and seeing the dust come off. Have also used a wooden cocktail stick, to lightly remove some of the groove dust from the outer rim and have also uncovered the curled bit of the catch plate.
Visually not much different from the photos. Still reluctant to go too far, not sure about getting it wet either. May seek further advice from the FLO, when it gets recorded at the end of the .season.
Cheers, :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Dave.
Sensorman

“Yes you have all guessed it correct, a Saxon Saucer brooch “

Well done Dave! What a fantastic find. You must be over the moon with it. :Star: :Star: :Star:
Easylife

It's looking better all the time. :thumbsup:
D2 - 13"x11" coil - audio only.
shaggybfc

It's brushing up nicely :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Oxgirl

Great to see the detail emerging Dave :thumbsup:
Yes I really don’t like Roman coins, I’m not joking
JohnDeus

Lovely Saxon Brooch :thumbsup:
HolzHammer

wow! Very nice!!!!!!
Kenleyboy

You work hard for your finds Dave , glad to see you rewarded with a superb find in the shape of a Saxon saucer brooch . Well deserved :thumbsup: