Called in to search a field

DaveP

Now here's a story I can't tell you as there is a detectorist out there who hasn't left a good impression with the landowner and that's putting it mildly! But, as the owner was having some groundwork done, and I know the groundworkers, they recommended me to come in and search on the chance there was something special worth finding.
The first day turned up a range of C20th coins but little else. I even had a coin spill of silvers in the picture below.
On my next visit I was joined by their grandson. For someone new to watching detecting this was a delight. However, I dug a small coin which I thought, as I saw it for a microsecond, to be a sixpence. You have never seen a coin retrieved from a hole so fast and disappear across the field to show the family! On we went with a selection of thru'ppeny bits, sixpences, pennies and half pennies all dated circa 1900-1950.
I returned to do a small adjacent field and the first target, another thruppence. What followed was three more thruppences, a couple of sixpences, a dozen pennies and a selection of halfpennies. I do not want to dig another penny! Fantastic signal = boring find.

And then the penny dropped. A small Girls Guides Brooch as the next find. After talking with the owners they thought something had been mentioned about the Guides. This would fit with lots of small denomination coins, but trust me, you end up longing for a button :lol:

All the coins have been cleaned, boxed and are with a delighted landowner (or somewhere with the grandson) as well as a full documented history and value of an important find that brought me to the fields. And I can remember the day when my dad upped my pocket money to a shiny half crown - it's such a lovely coin.
Attachments
IMG_3483.jpg
Blackadder43

Great story there Dave the Pheasant, and really pleased you have corrected the balance with the landowner and detectorists. :clapping:
Also brilliant that the excited Grandson may now get a calling for all things historical
Love the silver coinage, no age but still nice to find them :thumbsup:
Pete E

I had a similar experience detecting on a field used by some local scouts, only my finds were about a dozen pop cans assorted bottle tops and a fair few ring pulls..🙄🙄
Oxgirl

Bet that was fun, even if it was all coins and you started to get an itch for something else. I had a field like that - must have found 20-30 coins (all early 20th century) in two hours detecting. A couple of snuff tin lids were a nice change by the end of it. Mind you at least you were rewarded with silver - I wasn’t!

Great to see the excitement of your young helper I bet. Good job :thumbsup:
Yes I really don’t like Roman coins, I’m not joking
Easylife

A great story. :thumbsup: Well done, but where has Dave the Pheasant's avatar gone? :o
D2 - 13"x11" coil - audio only.
DaveP

Easylife wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 8:10 pm but where has Dave the Pheasant's avatar gone? :o
It's a long story.
DaveP

Blackadder43 wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 6:22 pm Great story there Dave the Pheasant, and really pleased you have corrected the balance with the landowner and detectorists. :clapping:
Also brilliant that the excited Grandson may now get a calling for all things historical
Love the silver coinage, no age but still nice to find them :thumbsup:
Thanks. The owners have said "you're welcome back any time" but it's not likely to reveal much of anything else. They have horses (I've been around them for 30+ years) and I've advised them on contaminated areas not to disturb so they also appreciated that.
I spent ages with the grandson and answered a million questions but how times have changed:-

Good signal - dig - end of a ring-pull.

GS "what's that?"
"Just a bit of a ring-pull"
GS "what's that?"
"you know, the bit you pull off cans"
GS - blank look. Then I realised the rings on modern cans don't pull off anymore and were changed to makes sure they always opened (the ring didn't detach) and to address the litter problem from old ring-pulls which used to be chucked everywhere. At 11 years old a ring pull was something new. And a thruppenny bit was a real mystery. A little bit of history changing before our eyes.

I've offered to do another detecting session with him - more pennies :|