3 day round up

Steve_JT

Out today third session on the musket shot field 98 targets dug, and only 4 items of any real interest, 3 if you discount the buckle fragment and the usual lead and coper scrap and stuff fit for the bin

At least the musket shot is getting less as I work my way up the field, only 11 today, yesterday 18 and the first day 23.

Only 2 buttons yesterday which is well below the norm as buttons go. Hope to get another day on the field tomorrow, then possibly 3 more sessions to finish the small field

Day 1

Blank coin, Portsmouth token, George IV penny, mount? Nail with some lead, strap mount? And vessel leg

And all the other stuff

Day 2

Possible awl, buckle fragment, Charles I Groat, George II Halfpenny, George III Halfpenny, Purse bar, strap end, Thimble, a strip of copper alloy and a possible worked flint

And the other stuff day 2

Day 3

A chunky belt / strap mount, buckle fragment, an odd piece and a vessel fragment

And the other stuff day 3

Regards Steve
A foolish faith in authority, is the worst enemy of truth." Albert Einstein
Oxgirl

Bet you have back ache after that lot :lol:

Nice mix of finds :thumbsup: Never found a cattle horn guard and wondering if you found a latching pair? Good luck when you for the next outing :thumbsup:
Yes I really don’t like Roman coins, I’m not joking
Easylife

It looks like you have to work through the dross to find the better bits. :thumbsup:
D2 - 13"x11" coil - audio only.
Steve_JT

Easylife wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 12:28 am It looks like you have to work through the dross to find the better bits. :thumbsup:

Lot of digging and lots of items but nothing older than the Charles I groat or purse bar, getting close to the top road and cross roads so will hope to find some better items, no doubt some scrap tin too, just about had enough of musket shot

Oxgirl wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 11:50 pm Bet you have back ache after that lot :lol:

Nice mix of finds :thumbsup: Never found a cattle horn guard and wondering if you found a latching pair? Good luck when you for the next outing :thumbsup:
I have found 2 horn protectors in this field, and found lots of them in the past, enough to equip a small herd :lol: :lol:

As for backache yesterday was the hardest day so far, the wind got to me and left me a bit chesty and out of breath, had a god soak in the bath because my back was aching too (which is rare for me to have a bath) still getting over a massage which was quite brutal to my back, more of a trapped shoulder nerve that's giving me gyp

Regards steve
Easylife

Steve_JT wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 1:03 am still getting over a massage which was quite brutal to my back, more of a trapped shoulder nerve that's giving me gyp.
My best ever massage was in Bali for about a fiver an hour, though another there was very firm and quite torturous. Thailand is a great place for a massage. :thumbsup:
D2 - 13"x11" coil - audio only.
figgis

Well, that field's keeping you busy and there's some good stuff amongst the shot :thumbsup:
Dave The Slave

Busy time there, Steve.
Good to see you posting photos of, " the other items " as that shows how much we actually dig to find the " Interesting pieces ". :clapping: :clapping:
Fifty two musket balls ! One thing i could never bring myself to do is to scrap a musket ball, or even a whole old bullet, squashed ones yes.
Need to really look at Civil War action for Dorset and Hants, Corfe Castle i do know about.
Cheers, :thumbsup:
Dave.
Steve_JT

Dave The Slave wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 2:05 pm Busy time there, Steve.
Good to see you posting photos of, " the other items " as that shows how much we actually dig to find the " Interesting pieces ". :clapping: :clapping:
Fifty two musket balls ! One thing i could never bring myself to do is to scrap a musket ball, or even a whole old bullet, squashed ones yes.
Need to really look at Civil War action for Dorset and Hants, Corfe Castle i do know about.
Cheers, :thumbsup:
Dave.
The musket shot may be linked to the 1830 swing riots, I need to do some deeper research to see exactly where the yeomanry cornered the swing rioters. I may contact my FLO to see if this amount of shot may link something to it

The scrap lead, copper and junk of which there was a lot was sorted and not shown, average around 80 holes a day not far off

Just got back today, only a few hours as I had to be back early, apparently we are going to see some fireworks, if I didn’t get back early there would have been fireworks at home I was told :lol:

Today only a George III halfpenny, a blank coin, 2 vessel fragments, a vessel handle and a buckle fragment

4 musket shot, 3 lead bullets, 2 buttons, Victoria halfpenny and 2 furniture studs

The lead copper and junk sorted, all counted and came to 61 holes

Regards Steve