Interesting couple of hours

Kenleyboy

I had a few hours spare this afternoon and decided to have a go on the farm fields for a change and have a play with the much neglected Q40 . We have a club dig this sunday and my Daughter will be joining me and no doubt she will borrow the Deus Lite and I will end up with my older machine so I thought it would be nice to familiarise myself with the settings as it had been quite sometime since I last used it .
I did have a senior moment and for a minute I couldnt remember how to switch on the headphones !! After much muttering and fumbling , the fog subsided and with a clear head I was finally able to fathom it out .
It was a bit of a culture shock , I didnt realise how much heavier it was by comparison but I soon got used to it after about half an hour and then I got back into Q40 mode . Great machine , well balanced with the smaller blade coil but with the larger raptor coil I could feel how top heavy it was but no matter , a couple of hours just to get used to it for the weekend dig .
I still cant believe just how warm the weather is , sunshine and blue skies with autumn well underway and the trees and hedges were well in to its grasp and they didnt look quite so vibrant as they did a few weeks ago , more drowsy looking and soon to be leafless .
2pm and with just a couple of hours away from darkness I decided on one area and popped the machine in all metals but after ten minutes it was doing my head in so opted for my usual past setting which is jewellery mode , bit more gentle on the ears .
First decent signal was a real heart trembler in the shape of a gold gilded button to the rear , I thought my luck was in but sadly not , what a downer when I pulled the clod away and suddenly realise it wasnt that dream find :lol: No matter , we live in hope .
Had this little lot apart from the usual scrap and plenty of buttons .
20211105_152043_resized[39338]knee finds .jpg
The buckle fragment would have been really nice if it was whole , all that fancy dandy decoration , still nice enough though and better than buttons .
The best find in my meagre few hours was this interesting piece . I have no idea but looks to have some age , maybe part of a strap end or buckle . The two rounded "ears" looked to have had a bar going across between the ears which makes me think it was attached to a belt or strap at some time .
20211105_152109_resized[39339]knee buckle 1 .jpg
20211105_152134_resized[39340]knee buckle 2 .jpg
Apart from that , not a lot else other than this little handful was all I could muster this few hours .
20211105_180329[39342]cleaned .jpg
It was nice to reacquaint myself with the old machine , it was a fun few hours but I did miss the Deus :thumbsup:
Mucky

Looks like you had some nice finds.. Well done. :thumbsup:
Oxgirl

I wonder if going back to our older machines is always hard to do? Not necessarily because it’s inferior but because your ears are tuned in to another machine.

Glad you found a few keepers. That buckle type item has a book clasp feel too. I bet it’s very tactile. Sorry to hear about the gold that wasn’t - I had a gold foil incident like that this week :lol: at least it looks like you had a piece of silver in the form of a button top. Least I hope it is!

Good luck at the weekend. Hope you both have a great day!
Yes I really don’t like Roman coins, I’m not joking
Easylife

Super simples it great being a no brainer. :thumbsup:
D2 - 13"x11" coil - audio only.
Steve_JT

I think Cath is right, the odd item looks like a clasp for some function, its got some age to it that's for sure, I like these sort of items

Regards steve
A foolish faith in authority, is the worst enemy of truth." Albert Einstein
Kenleyboy

Oxgirl wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 11:46 pm I wonder if going back to our older machines is always hard to do? Not necessarily because it’s inferior bur because your ears are tuned in to another machine.

Glad you found a few keepers. That buckle type item has a book clasp feel too. I bet it’s very tactile. Sorry to hear about the gold that wasn’t - I had a gold foil incident like that this week :lol: at least it looks like you had a piece of silver in the form of a button top. Least I hope it is!

Good luck at the weekend. Hope you both have a great day!
Going back to using the old machine was a bit strange considering I was so used to it and knew it inside out . The main issue was the weight hence my opting for the lighter deus . Bit of a culture shock yesterday but I soon got used to it , the weight was an issue but I was only out for a few hours .
The silver oval is not silver sadly .