Club dig and a sad farewell

Kenleyboy

In deepest darkest Norfolk we had our club dig today on some nice looking land . My Daughter attended and this was her second outing as my guest so there was no actual detecting for me , just the hole digger for the day while she finds her way round using the detector which was the Q40 with the small blade coil so the weight wasnt an issue . I was going to detect myself but to be fair I would probably be called over to assist and as she is new to the hobby it would be easier just to help her get used to the machine etc
The weather was pleasant enough , clear blue skies for the morning but it was a bit chilly and we had about 40 members attend as it was also an occaision to mark the leaving of one of the clubs organisers so it was tinged with a little sadness .
Without going into the gory details , lets just say some negative outside influences which in my mind was a little uncalled for and unnecessary but it was enough to beat a man down and force a decision upon someone who has supported the club and its members without fault . Nobody wanted him to leave but the pressure and bullying was just that little too much to tip a man over the edge .
Some of you on board here will know exactly what I am talking about so I will leave it there , enough said !
On with the day , as the morning wore on the weather improved and despite the breeze it was a pleasant enough day and a good atmosphere . Some nice finds came up but it was a little sparse with areas totally barren of any signals but some members got lucky with a few Roman brooches , couple of hammered coins etc .
We didnt fair so well in the finds department but it was equally as rewarding to be out on the land together and although nothing earth shattering came up for my Daughter , the one wish list was a thimble and she found one so she was happy enough .
One odd item came up which we have no clue so if anyone can shed a light on it that would be great . Searching through the sticky clod at first glance we thought we had one of the many brooches but alas no but the curved shape had us thinking differently until the mud was cleared away .
Very crude hatched design to the rear .
20211107_183945_resized[39348]object 1.jpg
20211107_184012_resized[39350]object 2 .jpg
The final tally apart from the usual scrap and the last club dig of the year .
20211107_184110_resized[39352]rachel finds.jpg
Blackadder43

Such a shame that the day was tinged with the bullying of folk who only ever try to help.
I've seen it first hand myself and its ugly. :thumbdown:
Hopefully others will see whats been happening and act accordingly

Really great to see your daughter out again with the detector, and a great dad forfeiting his day to teach her the ropes and machine :clapping:

That top item i have seen before, but cant for the life of me remember what it is
The markings on the round piece indicate it being used as a grip, so the thumb uses the markings as a grip type thing
Probably miles off lol, i'll wait for a grown up to come along i think
Sensorman

Hi BA,
Interesting finds. I think the top item may be the curved arm broken from a pair of tongs.
Easylife

Sensorman wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 10:29 pm I think the top item may be the curved arm broken from a pair of tongs.
Yes, it's part of a skirt lifter. :thumbsup:
D2 - 13"x11" coil - audio only.
Easylife

Kenleyboy wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 9:40 pm Without going into the gory details , lets just say some negative outside influences which in my mind was a little uncalled for and unnecessary but it was enough to beat a man down and force a decision upon someone who has supported the club and its members without fault . Nobody wanted him to leave but the pressure and bullying was just that little too much to tip a man over the edge.
Some of you on board here will no exactly what I am talking about so I will leave it there , enough said !
It sounds like you had a lovely day out with your daughter. :thumbsup:
But from under my rock I just don't get that if it was so wrong what was happening why anyone didn't show their support? :shock: :Thinking:
D2 - 13"x11" coil - audio only.
Kenleyboy

Easylife wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 11:22 pm It sounds like you had a lovely day out with your daughter. :thumbsup:
But from under my rock I just don't get that if it was so wrong what was happening why anyone didn't show their support? :shock: :Thinking:
Plenty of support easylife , hence the turn out for the dig , all who attended did not want this person to leave but respected the decision .
shaggybfc

Have you not got her into bottle digging, or is that a bit to hazardous? She’ll soon be out doing you on the finds front :thumbsup:
Shame about the situation at the club, but these things happen, and normally over something very trivial.
Always carefully proof-read what you've typed to see if you've any words out.
Deus with 11" X35 and 9" HF coils. MI 6 pinpointer.
Kenleyboy

shaggybfc wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 8:43 am Have you not got her into bottle digging, or is that a bit to hazardous? She’ll soon be out doing you on the finds front :thumbsup:
Shame about the situation at the club, but these things happen, and normally over something very trivial.
She loves the bottle digging :thumbsup:

Quite true , a trivial matter which morphed out of control :thumbdown:
Oxgirl

Thought I’d responded to this but obviously didn’t :shock:

Very sad to see that some small minded narcissistic people are still active in this hobby :thumbdown: I’ll say no more because it boils my urine :silent:

On the much brighter side I love hearing about your father/ daughter adventures and glad you and your club pals had a brilliant dig :D
Yes I really don’t like Roman coins, I’m not joking
Littleboot

dear me. it is a sad state of affairs when bullying occurs, especially now when life is trying enough for us regular folk. We need to stick together more than ever. it kind of makes me glad that I wander my fields totally alone apart from the occasional very casual waft from Hubby.
Apart from the sad bit it seems to have produced a typical enjoyable collection of finds.
"The forest was shrinking, but the trees kept voting for the axe, for the axe was clever and convinced the trees that because his handle was made of wood he was one of them."