What a nice man

Saffron

The small field where I found the Henry VI penny the other day is normally long grass and is only topped once or twice a year, but had been cut which let me get on it for that session. I have always suspected that there could be more in there than I have found but a combination of the long grass and a lot of trash meant it was always hard going with limited finds.

When I walked by a few days ago I noticed it had been cut a second time within a month and this time even shorter. I had never know a second cut so soon after the previous cut, nor it to be cut this short (only about 1"). So I made a mental note to get on there when I fancied a quick session :thumbsup: .

Then the following day a quick panic ... the owner was not going to turn it into lawn and extend his garden was he :shock: :shock:

To avoid the risk of losing it to a lawn and garden before I got on there and made the most of the very short grass I had a short session on it this afternoon, the first chance I had to get out since it had been mowed again. When I was last on there and found the Henry VI I started the write up with "After nearly having a heart attack as a person walked around the car as I took my head out of the boot and took me by surprise", well today was nearly a repeat as I am bent down looking in the first hole and the owner walks up behind me and speaks!. Honestly if the new Dues II has mirrors on it so you can see people walking up behind you I will buy it!.

Since getting the permission several years back I have only ever seen him at Christmas when dropping a "Thank you" bottle off, and I had never seen him in the field either when I am detecting or walking past, so it was a surprise to see him. Once I had regained my composure we had a good chat. It turns out that he will now be spending a lot more time here than previously and wanted to tidy up the field so they had bought a large wide mower to keep the grass shorter and was also going to plant some trees.

What a nice man he is, what was a potentially nice field but ruined by long grass is now going to be frequently mowed :Party: :Party:

When I found the Henry VI penny I also found a "bit of lead", which after a clean has turned out to be a very poor condition bag seal. Today I found 2 small buckles, 2 small buttons and a couple of other random bits. But these targets were all reasonably deep and only found due to the grass being much shorter so I am already benefiting.

For no real reason as it was very nearly dark rather than head back to the car I walked the opposite direction and had a very quick swing in an area that is normally fairly quite, but straight away got a nice solid signal. A lead seal and you all know I love these as they can be researched, it turned out to be what I am fairly certain is a Dutch Custom House seal, my first. :thumbsup: You do wonder what this might have been attached to that would end up in a field in the North Cotswolds. (photo to follow when I can get one in daylight).

Evan
Easylife

Great news for you. :thumbsup:
I think that flax was the main import from Holland.
http://www.peacehavens.co.uk/BSDUTCH.htm
D2 - 13"x11" coil - audio only.
Saffron

Easylife wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 10:42 pm Great news for you. :thumbsup:
I think that flax was the main import from Holland.
http://www.peacehavens.co.uk/BSDUTCH.htm
Cheers for that Easylife.

I had always thought of flax as coming from the Baltic, rather than the low countries.
I was going to put it on here for StuE, but having seen that will also fire it at Gedd on the peacehavens project. It is actually identical to 312a.

Evan
figgis

A field you can't get on is like an itch you can't scratch and it's great that you've now got access to it. Looks promising, too :thumbsup:
Oxgirl

Great news Saffron :thumbsup: Look forward to hearing about the gold finds soon now :Party:
Yes I really don’t like Roman coins, I’m not joking