If you could have two wishes…

Oxgirl

You managed to unearth a magic lamp and it can grant you two of these wishes! Which two would you choose?

(Reproduced with permission from @Bleepingfamily on Twitter)
BA1187D2-995C-41E7-AB2D-F0C2C9969158.png
Yes I really don’t like Roman coins, I’m not joking
figgis

6 and 9, all day long :thumbsup:

But 5 ran them both close :lol:
Easylife

Just No.9 would be quite interesting though if I have to make a second choice it would be No.3 to find a few more deeper targets.

Edit: No scrub No.9 because I would feel obliged to return the gold bangle I found to it's owner! :lol:
D2 - 13"x11" coil - audio only.
Dave The Slave

2 and 3
2 should keep clothes etc clean, plus keep me warm and dry.
3 would be an upgrade, i cannot afford.
Metalurgy

None of the above.
Oxgirl

Does no one want no 7? :shock: God I’d give anything to get on two near me. One is on my permission and I know what I have found in the next field so the protected one would be a feast of beautiful medieval things.

And number 9 would be wonderful.
Oxgirl

Metalurgy wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 6:37 pm None of the above.
None? :shock:
Blackadder43

My first choice would be 9
Always try to work out who or why the item was dropped, lost or hidden

The last wish i would give to the genie in the lamp to rid himself/herself/itself of having to listen to all the entitled wishes folk want :ugeek: :lol:
Littleboot

5 comes in first. (It isn't such an issue for blokes.lol) I rarely see anyone while detecting but it all gets a tad undignified even if only observed by the cows. (TMI)
I wouldn't want 1 because I have some cracking lead finds in my collection. Since getting the Nox i don't fret about a drop of rain and i quite like the changing skies and moods of being outdoors so not much use for 2. I'm tempted by 3 because we all like to think that if only there was a bit more depth everything would be popping up. But I don't detect in a 'competitive' situation so I tend to chill that if the plough doesn't fetch it up this year maybe the next. But on my pasture it is tempting. 4. I don't share any permissions anyway, except with Pete and frankly he spends most of his time leaning on his spade surveying the scene and contemplating his next meal. 6 is very tempting. Heavy clay soil is a pig. 7 is always intriguing but I actually think it is more fun to find new places of interest rather than to dig something already known. 8. While i would like someone to dig my holes, especially since my injury, it means 'someone' would be in tow with a spade. I detect for peace and so I will prefer to do the hard labour myself. 9 is a real ponderer. I tell myself I want to 'know' what and who lost these items. So many stories and mysteries. But then again part of the charm of detecting is to ponder and imagine and wonder. And if you know absolutely what the story is then a lot of that dies. So 5 (as long as it comes equipped with Andrex :D ) and 3.

very interesting idea and a lot of fun to consider.
"The forest was shrinking, but the trees kept voting for the axe, for the axe was clever and convinced the trees that because his handle was made of wood he was one of them."
JohnDeus

For me it has to be 7 and 9
Oxgirl

Littleboot wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 9:26 pm So 5 (as long as it comes equipped with Andrex :D ) and 3.

very interesting idea and a lot of fun to consider.
Lovely to see you back and posting Jan :Luv Ya:

5 is an interesting one but the hassle of the potential lack of privacy in the open air situation isn’t that bad when I compare it to the smell from some of those portaloos - they can be pretty awful :lol: . A posh loo facility would be okay though.

I’d rather like someone to deliver lunch and a nice hot cup of tea sometimes too :D
Kenleyboy

7 and 9 please :thumbsup:
Saffron

This post by Oxgirl is obviously not aimed at me because she knows how I love to do research on my finds and I would go straight for nr 9.

Or would I?

Lets say its a hammy. You can identify the monarch and depending on what it is the year or date range and that is all. So yes I would love a tag attached to it saying it was dropped by Joe Bloggs when drunk on his way home from the local tavern on a given date, or whatever the story might have been behind the loss.

But if its an item where I can do research and find out the background myself would I want that tag attached?. On reflection NO. I love doing the research myself and you learn so much as a result.

However, having found out the background of the item it would be nice to know how and when it was lost. A good example of this is that on my one permission I found two love tokens a short distance apart - who was the girl that threw them away?, was it the same man trying twice with the girl he dreamed of marrying?, was it one girl with two suitors?, what ever happend?.

Evan
Saffron

Nr 1 should read "No more random bits of small lead".

In which case YES, YES, YES, YES.

After today on a dig where the bulk of targets were random bits of small lead, several of which took ages to find :pulling hair out: :pulling hair out:, this has to be my first choice.

BUT lead can be good :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

In my case I have found bag seals with "SH" on them which after research I identified as belonging to Samuel Healing's mill at Tewkesbury http://www.bagseals.org/gallery/main.ph ... emId=34748 (others found since these), this was real local history.

The other week down by Andover I found an Anglo Continental Seal from when guano was imported from Peru, and was used as a fertilizer.

Some time back I found a nice Russian flax bale seal at Crewkerne in Somerset.
ЛД = LD / A.EPOXИHЬ / H71 /// CПБ / HoП.2. / M.K. / 1836
Flax Inspector A.EROKHIN working out of number 71 post in St Petersburg, Kronstadt, Narva, Riga, Libau, Pilau, Pernau, Revel, Elbing, Memel, Konigsberg, Windau or Tilsit .. in 1836.
CПБ (SPB) dated after 1829 means a flax tax has been paid to St Petersburg, but it does not mean that the seal originated there ..
The Grower/Owner/Agent initials are M.K with 2 grade quality flax plants in the bale.
. .see reference IDS 2471 on the page
http://www.peacehavens.co.uk/BSIND2400D.htm

These are just 3 examples of where lead finds have given me chances to do research and find out so much more and been a part of social history.

There are also lead finds that I would love to make such as a pilgrims ampulla

Evan
Littleboot

Oxgirl wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 10:13 pm

I’d rather like someone to deliver lunch and a nice hot cup of tea sometimes too :D
Now THAT is the one for me. Totally on board with that one.
Thanks OG it already feels like I haven't been away. (Though I have a lot of catching up to do.)
"The forest was shrinking, but the trees kept voting for the axe, for the axe was clever and convinced the trees that because his handle was made of wood he was one of them."