Republic Denarius.

Littleboot

Hello folks. gradually getting back to it since a bit of a problem developed in my upper back due to over-use of a sledge hammer. lol The swinging motion caused the damaged discs between my shoulders to not heal properly. So I have been easing into it with shorter sessions. (I also have spent the last months doing more art and exhibiting...have to stay busy!)
Anyway, I was pleased to find a nice Roman republican denny in a field I often go over at this time of year (maize stubble). It is mainly 16th to 18th century stuff that usually comes up. Like the majority of my fields. Due to the depopulation of rural Normandie during the Industrial revolution (the population has never recovered to those earlier levels) I don't get much stuff on them post-1850. Anyway for the sake of background, I do get the occasional bit or Roman stuff and this field is straddled by a ridgeway which is now ploughed out but was still a lane in 1825. This feature goes through 3 larges fields including one that borders our house before it dips into the valley. I have found a large pommel in a rams-head form which is clearly celtic in this particular field, as well as a votive object, a piece of decorative samian ware, a roman disc brooch. and a balista. In the next field along I found an iron age beehive quernstone and in the one behind our house I found a stater. All over many years. so all pointing to a Celtic settlement which was then romanized.
100_6353.JPG
It is the first Roman republic coin I have found on my permissions here and it had been bugging me. They had to be here somewhere but all I seemed to find were 2nd century bronzes in varying degrees of grot. The coin predates the conquest of Gaul by Julius Caesar by about 30 years. I had just started my search where Pete dropped me off and intended to follow the ridgeway back home. I switched on and was going to walk a few yards as it the old hedge had been ploughed out and harboured a lot of trash...old toothpaste tubes and bottle tops which belonged to the rubbish tip of a nearby long-gone house. However i got a good signal and dug and found a broken silver 'fede' ring. I get a lot of those but it encouraged me to stay in the patch a bit. next signal up popped this. Very pleased as it helps to fill in a part of the story of my valley.
I found an electrum stater about 400 yards away from this a few years ago. It is of the same kind of date. Around the 100-80 BC mark. So clearly in use by the same community at the same time. Very intriguing. What I also find fascinating is the similarity in designs. The stater and the denarius both take their design influence from the same Greek roots.
100_6353.JPG
So, renewed vigour for looking for other things from this period in my fields. But boy oh boy do they need some teasing out. lol I have no idea why it is showing the first picture twice but hey ho.
Attachments
100_6350.JPG
"The forest was shrinking, but the trees kept voting for the axe, for the axe was clever and convinced the trees that because his handle was made of wood he was one of them."
JohnDeus

Nice Denarius :thumbsup:
alloverover

Wonderful to hear from you Jan, glad your back, you have been missed on the circuit :D :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
figgis

Well, I've seen less impressive returns, Jan! :lol: Lovely to have you back and so glad the back trouble's eased enough for you to get swinging again.

Great stuff :thumbsup:

And the finds ain't bad, either ;) Glad the story of your land has got another piece of the jigsaw
Blackadder43

JAN :Luv Ya:
I have missed you!
I've put on 8 stone eating all these choccy hobnobs i bought for us to share :lol:
Great to see you are getting better with the ole back :thumbsup:
I'm gonna nip over and remove your sledgehammer :ugeek:

Great coin too....top of one of my wishlists (i make a lot cause i run out of paper space)
stanslad

Lovely find Jan & lovely to hear from you, hope all is well & your getting better.
Clint :thumbsup:
Pete E

Great to see you back Jan and with your usual high quality find as well!
Easylife

Great finds Jan and best wishes for a speedy recovery. :thumbsup:
D2 - 13"x11" coil - audio only.
Oxgirl

Sounds like a dream area and a beautiful coin.

Hope the distractions from the important thingsin life (detecting) are now being pushed out of the way :thumbsup: We need to see more of your finds and listen to your detecting adventures :D
Yes I really don’t like Roman coins, I’m not joking
Kenleyboy

Great to have you back and look forward to future posts :thumbsup:
Dave The Slave

Great to have you back, Jan.
Great Denarius 91BC.
Best Wishes, :thumbsup:
Dave.
Littleboot

Thanks Gang!
I am so glad to be back. I was worried for a bit as it wasn't properly diagnosed and mimicked other things. You know how it is. The mind goes to dark places and I really wasn't going to be great company. lol
It is an interesting area. I think I really value the fact that it was undetected until I came along. More important I think, I am the only one who has been detecting it and have done so for 15 years. It really builds up a picture of what went on where because you get the whole picture. Nobody else is taking bits of it away.
We all have our permissions where we get a shrewd idea of the most dominant era of activity pretty quickly. That is, as i said, 16th-18th century on mine with some areas being a century either side. The stuff that falls outside that is much more elusive. Older stuff is deeper, for one thing, beyond the plough, but also there is less of it anyway. What i have enjoyed is peeling back the layers and filling the gaps. It is obvious, now, that there was a celtic settlement on the high ground in the back fields. But for the first 8 years or so of regular detecting on there, when crops permitted, I didn't know that. Just goes to show. A field can suddenly take on a whole new dimension just when you think you have it sussed..
"The forest was shrinking, but the trees kept voting for the axe, for the axe was clever and convinced the trees that because his handle was made of wood he was one of them."
Allectus

Very well done there, Jan. :thumbsup:

A ;)
Littleboot

Howdy doody, Tony!
coal digger

It's a bobby dazzler Jan👍👍
Divide and Conquer