Ancient Secerts of Althorp: C4, 9pm tonight.

bob79

One off documentary where archaeologists search the Althorp Estate for a lost Saxon settlement.
Oxgirl

Thanks Bob - clashes with the new River Hinters episode but recording both :thumbsup:
Yes I really don’t like Roman coins, I’m not joking
Saffron

I have just seen this on catchup and thought it was quite good and well worth watching.

Rather a shame about the plastic pipe, but at least they had a laugh about it.

Not sure I am convinced by the "ritualistic" comments at the end, sometimes the "experts" jump to this conclusion straight away. Just look at modern life and how few buildings are religous. In the iron age I am sure most people were more concernd day to day life and about keeping livestock in and a good defensive position against neighbouring tribes.

Evan
DaveP

Saffron wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 1:53 am
Not sure I am convinced by the "ritualistic" comments at the end, sometimes the "experts" jump to this conclusion straight away. Just look at modern life and how few buildings are religous. In the iron age I am sure most people were more concernd day to day life and about keeping livestock in and a good defensive position against neighbouring tribes.

Evan
Agree and think this tends to happen when they don't find much but need to make the programme more interesting. It's not dissimilar to tabloid editing.
I'm still wondering why you would knock down a building and then cart all the rubbish UP to the top of a hill for all to see - ritual site perhaps.
Charles Abbeyville

Oxgirl wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 3:13 pm Thanks Bob - clashes with the new River Hinters episode but recording both :thumbsup:
Do you really like river hunters???
Oxgirl

Charles Abbeyville wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 8:25 am Do you really like river hunters???
I do :lol: . I like screaming at the screen in frustration when they get the initial IDs wrong. Last night’s iron age ring being a prime case in point - it was initially ID’ed (very confidently) as a medieval buckle :shock: :lol:
Yes I really don’t like Roman coins, I’m not joking
Charles Abbeyville

Oxgirl wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 9:06 am I do :lol: . I like screaming at the screen in frustration when they get the initial IDs wrong. Last night’s iron age ring being a prime case in point - it was initially ID’ed (very confidently) as a medieval buckle :shock: :lol:
It is a 'reality' programme made by 'TV folk' using wannabbees'. I think that American is simply taking advantage of the chance to detect places we would never be allowed to detect, at least he has some kind of clue but...
Why don't they find folk like Gary Blackwell et al to create the start of a new and much more successful series?