Bit lost on this one

Stevieg

Could anyone help with an identification and possible date for this please? It's a fragment and I found it near Ely, Cambridgeshire. I thought it might be religious. I have cleaned it as much as I dare and given it a coat of wax to lift the design. But still, I am stumped. It could be lead (bit of weight to it) and the reverse is blank.

Thank you
Steve
Attachments
Beats me 2.jpg
Oxgirl

I’m stumped too :?
Yes I really don’t like Roman coins, I’m not joking
Saffron

I have no idea why but something makes me think its Eastern rather than British origin. But what do I know?.

What ever it is if complete it would have been very nice.

Evan
figgis

Book fitting/decoration?
Littleboot

I can't help but think it orientates the other way. because it looks to have small panels featuring what may be people (saints?).
Maybe the eyes are playing tricks.
Let us look at what the evidence tells us: Clearly it is flat on one side so is meant to sit on top of, or sides of, something flat. It is highly decorative and therefore meant to be on view. It doesn't appear to be of precious metal. (is there any trace, however small, of gilding/silvering?) The design, though intricate is not particularly accurate and clearly not made by machine. It also is quite small and so the intricacy would not be seen at anything other than close range.
If it is heavy it is probably not suitable for a book mount as it would pull on, rather than protect, the cover. Probably more suited to a small coffer or wooden box, (The sort which may have had a book in.) Just my thoughts. Not a lot to go on but intriguing.
Live long and prosper.
Stevieg

Thank you for the suggestions. All very interesting. I think I'll have a quiet word with the farmer about being more gentle when he is ploughing!