Eyes needed, coin for ID.

Saffron

A few of us from the club went on a ring hunt / dig yesterday. Basically trying to find a wedding ring that had been lost years ago in what was a 5 acre paddock but is now very short grass (think football pitch length) "lawn", and at the same time trying to find out if there was any "history" to be found.

The good news is that after about 5 minutes a lady club member found a gold ring, although the bad news is that its not hallmarked and we suspect its costume jewelry rather than the ring we were hoping to find.

My only good find was this coin that has been pierced, interstingly looks as if it could have been done twice, once the single hole at the top so it could be worn as a charm, and once the other two holes forr some other purpose.

But I need to go to specsavers (other opticians are available) as I can not work out what the coin is. Its 22mm dia., and very thin. Reverse is too far gone and now just blank.

Evan
Attachments
DSCN0782.JPG
Blackadder43

I think its a George III something.....can see his distinct face and features :thumbsup:
(Yes i have new glasses yesterday :lol: )
Blackadder43

Dont know if this helps you see the face Saffron?
DSCN0782.JPG
Jamesey1981

Did you find it next to Chester Copperpot's journal?

Try holding it up and see if the holes line up with any landmarks, you might be able to get a clue to where One Eyed Willy stashed his rich stuff.
Attachments
pp-doubloon1.jpg
pp-doubloon1.jpg (73.89 KiB) Viewed 173 times
That is not dead which can eternal lie,
And with strange aeons even death may die.

I'm a Mortgage Broker, please visit my website for help with your mortgage:
https://denariusmortgages.co.uk/
Allectus

Snide George III shilling.

A
Oxgirl

Well that’s an interesting one!

I tell you what coin counterfeiting has really been rife for centuries hasn’t it :shock:
Yes I really don’t like Roman coins, I’m not joking
Easylife

Plenty of George III forgeries around here, three in my last three visits, a half crown, a shilling and a sixpence. :?
D2 - 13"x11" coil - audio only.
Saffron

Allectus wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 3:28 pm Snide George III shilling.

A
As always very many thanks Allectus.

As far as I am aware my first counterfeit. But with the number of forged £1 and £2 coins there are around I wonder how many have passed through my hands over the years.

As its a new find for me I will ask are the two holes in the centre to mark it as a forgery?. If so then I suppose the person that suddenly found a shilling (which would have been a lot to most people back then) is now worthless would have converted it into a charm with the hole near the top.

Evan