Some sort of brass pendant?

Allectus

:pulling hair out:

Edit: Too many woke/do gooding lefties brigade on here for that one :lol: ( :thumbdown:
DaveP

Jamesey1981 wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 8:59 pm
You can't suspend the item from ANYTHING that's on the scales, otherwise you are just weighing the item.

If you suspend the item from a cocktail stick and then put that cocktail stick on the cup you have just added the weight of the item to the cup.
doh! - you sir, are correct :oops:
Easylife

Jamesey1981 wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 9:04 pm
(I know you were only quoting somebody else):
"I'm using a Scobby Doo cup as it's the lightest one I have that clear so you can see whats going on, but something like a plastic cup from a coffee vending machine is lighter. Heavier glass cups will tip your scales over the . Reset to Zero, on my scales this is the Tare button."
But just to add that there is no need to use a really light cup on digital scales, just place any cup of water on them and turn them on, they will read zero because they are not weighing it. For example my gold scales can only weight up to 100g, but I can place say 500g or more on them (and have), turn them on, they will read zero and they will only weigh any extra that is added. But if I remove the total load then they will overload on a minus weight. But having said that, it is better to keep the vessel weight within reason. :D
D2 - 13"x11" coil - audio only.
Jamesey1981

Some can cope with that, I have one set where I can zero it with the calibration weight and then weigh something that would otherwise overload it.

My milligram ones don't work like that though, they'll weigh 50 grams and 50 grams only, otherwise they'll overload.

I have to use a very light, and very small cup if I want to use those, but then I only use those for very small items, larger items are fine with hundredths and those scales will go higher anyway so it doesn't matter.

Plastic shot glass works well for the really small stuff.
That is not dead which can eternal lie,
And with strange aeons even death may die.

I'm a Mortgage Broker, please visit my website for help with your mortgage:
https://denariusmortgages.co.uk/
Beckybue

Easylife wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 7:51 pm So how did you suspend the item for your metal density test Becky? I think the item needs to be suspended from say a cocktail stick resting across the rim of the water container rather than you holding it. :thumbsup:
I used a cotton bud which I even added to the total weight of the beaker and water before adding the artefact (I drew the line at weighing and factoring in the cotton thread as well!)
Easylife

Beckybue wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 11:39 pm I used a cotton bud which I even added to the total weight of the beaker and water before adding the artefact (I drew the line at weighing and factoring in the cotton thread as well!)
I couldn't remember which way to suspend it but you just need to suspend it by hand to get the correct result which I guess will be about 0.5g. Then divide actual item weight by that to get metal density. :thumbsup:
D2 - 13"x11" coil - audio only.
Beckybue

Jamesey1981 wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 8:59 pm Agree with most of your post apart from this bit.

You can't suspend the item from ANYTHING that's on the scales, otherwise you are just weighing the item.

If you suspend the item from a cocktail stick and then put that cocktail stick on the cup you have just added the weight of the item to the cup.

This method works because you are supporting most of the mass of the item which is much denser than water off the scales, then you are getting the weight of the displaced water, not the weight of the item, if you are supporting the mass of the item with something that is on the scales your reading will be the same as if you just dump the item, the cup, the water, the string and the cocktail stick on the scales and don't bother suspending it. It would also give the same incorrect reading if the item is touching the bottom of the cup as you mentioned.
I’m being dim but I get this now. My first few measurements, where I suspended the pendant freehand, are therefore still accurate (although still indicating that the item is pile of crap), but for the last sets of measurements I used a cotton bud suspended over the container. I do understand now that this defeats the purpose of the exercise (my calculations at that point made the pendant less dense than argon)
Beckybue

Pete E wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 8:13 pm Completely agree...

But don't go there and say "Is this crap?" just take it in and tell them it's Asian 20ct weighs 7.1 grams and ask them what is worth...

If the dealer is in anyway reputable he will do a gold acid test Infront of you....At this point they could say it's 9ct or 14ct or some other grade rather than 20ct, and give you a scrape value....

Just from looking at it, I would be very very surprised if it as not gold of some grade or other....
Wise advice and thank you, will do!