Two copper alloy artefacts I would appreciate help/id with

brambleton

shaggybfc wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 4:47 pm I like blob - could it be an Ironage pendant?
https://finds.org.uk/database/artefacts ... /id/533588
Blob thanks you for your kindness!
I'm not sure that blob is as well defined as the example you found, but definitely looks hopeful for blob being something!
I have been searching PAS for pendants, but how do I narrow that search to early items? I have the most enormous list to scroll through, and can't even seem to eliminate harness pendants! Suggestions gratefully received! :D
shaggybfc

brambleton wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 5:21 pm I have been searching PAS for pendants, but how do I narrow that search to early items? I have the most enormous list to scroll through, and can't even seem to eliminate harness pendants! Suggestions gratefully received! :D
On my phone / pad it's at the bottom and on the laptop it's in the RH side.
Click on the broads period - choose one and then on material copper alloy, then you could select type of item and then he area found.
Good luck :thumbsup:
Always carefully proof-read what you've typed to see if you've any words out.
Deus with 11" X35 and 9" HF coils. MI 6 pinpointer.
Easylife

brambleton wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 5:21 pm I have been searching PAS for pendants, but how do I narrow that search to early items?
Use the Advanced search. :thumbsup:
D2 - 13"x11" coil - audio only.
brambleton

Easylife wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 5:38 pm Use the Advanced search. :thumbsup:
Crickey - I'll give it a go! Thank you - what a learning curve this new hobby is!
This is still not spot on, but giving me hope!
https://finds.org.uk/database/artefacts ... /id/954588
brambleton

shaggybfc wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 5:37 pm On my phone / pad it's at the bottom and on the laptop it's in the RH side.
Click on the broads period - choose one and then on material copper alloy, then you could select type of item and then he area found.
Good luck :thumbsup:
Thank you! I'll try it! :D
shaggybfc

If not an IA pendant, then and IA bead, surely :thumbsup:
Always carefully proof-read what you've typed to see if you've any words out.
Deus with 11" X35 and 9" HF coils. MI 6 pinpointer.
brambleton

shaggybfc wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 5:54 pm If not an IA pendant, then and IA bead, surely :thumbsup:
That's interesting! I haven't got a complete match (my blob seems too flat on the reverse?) but I think blob did have a purpose!
I think Easylife mentioned beads .....
This was close I think:
https://finds.org.uk/database/artefacts ... /id/524763

Thank you so much for your help and interest! :D
Pete E

brambleton wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 6:13 pm That's interesting! I haven't got a complete match (my blob seems too flat on the reverse?) but I think blob did have a purpose!
I think Easylife mentioned beads .....
This was close I think:
https://finds.org.uk/database/artefacts ... /id/524763

Thank you so much for your help and interest! :D
In this context I am not sure what the difference is between a "bead" and a "pendant" actually is, but yours looks to be about twice as big as the one in the link...That said, I do believe you are on the right track, and this is the sort of thing I had in mind as soon as I saw it....
brambleton

Pete E wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 6:24 pm In this context I am not sure what the difference is between a "bead" and a "pendant" actually is, but yours looks to be about twice as big as the one in the link...That said, I do believe you are on the right track, and this is the sort of thing I had in mind as soon as I saw it....
You :Star: - thank you so much for your help! :D
Littleboot

Ah..Blobs. Most, to be crushingly honest, will remain blobs of no definitive purpose. If it is a blob of a dense material like lead then it is a good idea to weigh it and see if it comes in at a nice round number in ounces or other unit of weight. Because dense, leaden 'blobs' , especially those with a hole to suspend it, are often either to weigh something down (loom, cord, etc) or weigh something in terms of scales.
"The forest was shrinking, but the trees kept voting for the axe, for the axe was clever and convinced the trees that because his handle was made of wood he was one of them."
brambleton

Littleboot wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 6:53 pm Ah..Blobs. Most, to be crushingly honest, will remain blobs of no definitive purpose. If it is a blob of a dense material like lead then it is a good idea to weigh it and see if it comes in at a nice round number in ounces or other unit of weight. Because dense, leaden 'blobs' , especially those with a hole to suspend it, are often either to weigh something down (loom, cord, etc) or weigh something in terms of scales.
Gosh, I think that goes back to my original post under the heading copper alloy artifacts :- "The holed item weighs 12.00 grams, and the flatter 'reverse' seems to show signs of wear at the top of the hole. It could well be rubbish, but it seems more design than accident when I look at it. Some kind of weight? "
:Thinking:
Littleboot

Always get the weight in ounces first. Grams are very new on the block. Anything with any age will be Imperial. But anything really old could well be in a different measure than that. Here in France I still weigh things in ounces first...the metric system came in after the Revolution, anything older than that will be imperial. In fact, in rural areas things are still sold in livres (pounds) to this day so there will be an overlap. Most of the vernacular weights (irregular, un-stamped discs or steel-yard type) I get here are ounces or fractions thereof. So likely to be pre 1800-ish. So they are often older than you think.
In this case it is more likely by size or shape to be a weight for putting tension on a cord of some kind.
"The forest was shrinking, but the trees kept voting for the axe, for the axe was clever and convinced the trees that because his handle was made of wood he was one of them."
Littleboot

Littleboot wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 1:57 pm Ah. I see. One point though: Always get the weight in ounces first. Grams are very new on the block. Anything with any age will be Imperial. But anything really old could well be in a different measure than that. Here in France I still weigh things in ounces first...the metric system came in after the Revolution, anything older than that will be imperial. In fact, in rural areas things are still sold in livres (pounds) to this day so there will be an overlap. Most of the vernacular weights (irregular, un-stamped discs or steel-yard type) I get here are ounces or fractions thereof. So likely to be pre 1800-ish. So they are often older than you think.
In this case it is more likely by size or shape to be a weight for putting tension on a cord of some kind.