Finally......!!!!

HolzHammer

...its happened!!!!

Top of my wish list for years!!!

Afternoon All,
I finally found an Anglo Saxon coin, I think it is Harold I. It sounded like thin foil (XP Deus Lite in Hot) and the only reason I dug it was that it definitely was not a ring pull ( which sound much 'sharper') with which this pasture is littered as they hold all sorts of events on it.
Right, on to second on the list, an aureus and then I can stop!
And I had literally only been saying an hour before that I still hadn't found one and it had been on my mind as to when it would happen. So I am now going to enter a day long trance and only contemplate Roman Gold!

All the Best
Alexander

P.s I couldn't bare a scale ruining the first two photos but have added one in the last...
Attachments
AVW_5945.jpeg
AVW_5946.jpeg
AVW_5947.jpeg
Blackadder43

I am having a lucky mascot made in your Image sir, and will be strapping it to my machine, once i have built the shrine in my workshop :thumbsup:

Cracking find fella, really chuffed for you and its a corker too
Well done :clapping:
Now all those signals you have dismissed as ringpulls, now need to be re-examined :ugeek:
HolzHammer

Blackadder43 wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 1:33 pm I am having a lucky mascot made in your Image sir, and will be strapping it to my machine, once i have built the shrine in my workshop :thumbsup:

Cracking find fella, really chuffed for you and its a corker too
Well done :clapping:
Now all those signals you have dismissed as ringpulls, now need to be re-examined :ugeek:
Thanks Bruce! I may not have made myself clear... it didn't sound like a pull and that's why I dug it ... but it didn't sound like I imagined a Saxon coin to sound like out - it was like thin foil... something I would usually avoid!!!! You have all this to look forward to!!! Hope all well - is it windy down your way?!
brambleton

What a cracking find - well done you!
I look forward to the video. All the best.
Sarah
Dave The Slave

That, Alex is an exquisite coin in superb condition.
Well done Sir. :clapping:
Cheers, :thumbsup:
Dave.
bob79

Blimey!!! That's a cracker, well done, I'm sure Cath will not be jealous in any way shape or form🤣
HolzHammer

brambleton wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 1:50 pm What a cracking find - well done you!
I look forward to the video. All the best.
Sarah
Thanks Sarah - I wasn't filming!!!! Its a real treat to go out without all the clobber etc and then there is no pressure to find stuff its much more relaxing...but I do wish I had filmed that! I'll find a way of sneaking him in it would be a shame not too! Hope all well!
HolzHammer

bob79 wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 2:00 pm Blimey!!! That's a cracker, well done, I'm sure Cath will not be jealous in any way shape or form🤣
Thanks Bob... I have told her.....!
HolzHammer

Dave The Slave wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 1:53 pm That, Alex is an exquisite coin in superb condition.
Well done Sir. :clapping:
Cheers, :thumbsup:
Dave.
Thanks Dave; it was a bit of a shock - at the time, part of me thought it may be Norman ( and that would have been fine too!) And when I got me Spink out and went backwards from Stephen and couldn't see it I knew it had to be Saxon! Hooray!
Blackadder43

HolzHammer wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 1:43 pm Thanks Bruce! I may not have made myself clear... it didn't sound like a pull and that's why I dug it ... but it didn't sound like I imagined a Saxon coin to sound like out - it was like thin foil... something I would usually avoid!!!! You have all this to look forward to!!! Hope all well - is it windy down your way?!
Yep i understood what you were saying, but i didnt make myself clear :lol:

Look at how your coin has been struck
There are small overlaps on the strike with 'extra' silver
If that coin was ever in circulation for long it would surely have been clipped to tidy it up and make the clipper a small amount of silver for his melting pot
When coins come out like this (condition wise) they are quite often part of a hoard or a buried wealth bank for the owner

So, with that in mind i would now dig anything that comes in the foil/pulltab conductivity region
Your machine is only telling you what it percieves the item to be based on its conductivity
A coin on its side will have a skewed sounding signal, a coin near a flake of iron or rust will skew the sound you hear
A stunning example or 2 together may fall into the ring pull area which you say you have learnt to ignore based on probabilities and experience of the field itself

If that field produced just 1 of those coins for me i would change my digging habits :ugeek:

I am gonna put my neck on the line and say that coin is not just a random casual loss

Our American counterparts have learnt to hunt by signal sound and numbers on the conductivity scale, because they can, they dont have hammered coins in their parks etc
But we in the UK, with present technology do not have that luxury
All this is just my opinion of course and i shouldnt be teaching a respected and knowledgable Deus user how to suck eggs :lol:

I look forward to more findings from this field of dreams :ugeek:

PS:
Its windy as heck here as i live on the coast, garden looks a right mess with stuff everywhere
I went donw town earlier and i kid you not that walking into that wind as a 16 stone oaf was not an easy walk :lol:
Allectus

Very nice indeed, well done!! :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

Godric - Derby

A ;)
Oxgirl

I have avoided looking on here this afternoon as you’d commented on your video on finding a Saxon. I knew I’d feel sick with envy - and I do :sick:

This is not just a nice coin, it’s an absolute beauty and was worth waiting for. If I have to wait another couple of years for my first Saxon to look like this I’ll happily wait. OK not happily, but I’ll force myself to try.

Very well done :Star:
Yes I really don’t like Roman coins, I’m not joking
HolzHammer

Blackadder43 wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 2:12 pm Yep i understood what you were saying, but i didnt make myself clear :lol:

Look at how your coin has been struck
There are small overlaps on the strike with 'extra' silver
If that coin was ever in circulation for long it would surely have been clipped to tidy it up and make the clipper a small amount of silver for his melting pot
When coins come out like this (condition wise) they are quite often part of a hoard or a buried wealth bank for the owner

So, with that in mind i would now dig anything that comes in the foil/pulltab conductivity region
Your machine is only telling you what it percieves the item to be based on its conductivity
A coin on its side will have a skewed sounding signal, a coin near a flake of iron or rust will skew the sound you hear
A stunning example or 2 together may fall into the ring pull area which you say you have learnt to ignore based on probabilities and experience of the field itself

If that field produced just 1 of those coins for me i would change my digging habits :ugeek:

I am gonna put my neck on the line and say that coin is not just a random casual loss

Our American counterparts have learnt to hunt by signal sound and numbers on the conductivity scale, because they can, they dont have hammered coins in their parks etc
But we in the UK, with present technology do not have that luxury
All this is just my opinion of course and i shouldnt be teaching a respected and knowledgable Deus user how to suck eggs :lol:

I look forward to more findings from this field of dreams :ugeek:

PS:
Its windy as heck here as i live on the coast, garden looks a right mess with stuff everywhere
I went donw town earlier and i kid you not that walking into that wind as a 16 stone oaf was not an easy walk :lol:

Never had you down for a 16 stone oaf BA!!!! And I do look forward to meeting you one day! Excellent advice and thank you I will take it all on board and report back - hopefully I will get a chance this week.
HolzHammer

Allectus wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 2:35 pm Very nice indeed, well done!! :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

Godric - Derby

A ;)
Thanks Allectus much appreciated as always!
Blackadder43

I noticed its pasture you found it on
So, you're gonna have to put your farming hat on and try to work out which way it was ploughed, whenever it was last ploughed
If it was or is part of a hoard of some description, then you need to be aware of where the plough will distribute it if it was indeed clipped up by the plough
Follow the lines luke, follow the lines :ugeek: