Is It Just Me Or What

keyfits

We all love finding artifacts but why do i always judge how my detecting day has gone by the number of coins that I find?

Don't get me wrong I love finding Artifacts and enjoy researching and making a successful ID with all it's associated history but it always comes down to how many coins end up in my finds bag that makes it or breaks it for me. I may find one or two great artifacts but if my coin total is nil I feel like my detecting day has failed in some way. May be it's down to the instant recognition of the Monarch and date on some coins that makes finding coins so pleasurable which is possibly why it makes them a bench mark for how my day has gone

After watching hundreds of detecting videos online I have also noticed a similar pattern to the same way of thinking, nobody seems to says "oh my first musket ball or buckle of the day" but they always mention their first coin no matter what condition it is in as though it is a special find. So perhaps I am not alone with judging my day by the amount of coins I find especially when finding a coin in good condition such as a gold, silver (obviously) or just a copper coin like Victoria, Edward or George, even the coins that come out of the ground so called toasted, after a little rub with fine wire wool when I get home 80% of them will give up enough to make an ID, they all count towards my happy day out in the fields .

I suppose all detectorists have different expectations but these are mine -

0 - 2 coins - A not so good day

3 coins - A reasonably good day

4 - 5 coins - A good day

6 - 8 coins - A very good day

Above 8 coins - An excellent day

Don't know why 3 coins is the minimum for me to go home happy but it just is. Getting out in the countryside is pleasurable enough but from the detecting point of view I have to find coins for it to rock my detecting boat. "Is this normal"
Attachments
George & Victoria.jpg
Dave The Slave

When i detect the beach, have a similar thing for Pound coins, like to get the first one in the back pocket. Two is normally what i hope for as petrol covered. Five pound in total i regard as a good day. Double figures is exceptional and only happened on a handful of occasions.
Inland, like to find a coin, 3 is Very Good, 5 has happened only 3 times when i was detecting a scattered Roman area, 9 being the record in half an hour on the initial discovery.
For myself, i just like to find at least one item i can do some research on, so coins don`t really hold much appeal to me unless they are Roman because outside of Roman and Georgian Halfpennies, have probably found less than 10 pre Victorian coins.
Cheers, :thumbsup:
Dave.
keyfits

Dave The Slave wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 1:50 pm When i detect the beach, have a similar thing for Pound coins, like to get the first one in the back pocket. Two is normally what i hope for as petrol covered. Five pound in total i regard as a good day. Double figures is exceptional and only happened on a handful of occasions.
Inland, like to find a coin, 3 is Very Good, 5 has happened only 3 times when i was detecting a scattered Roman area, 9 being the record in half an hour on the initial discovery.
For myself, i just like to find at least one item i can do some research on, so coins don`t really hold much appeal to me unless they are Roman because outside of Roman and Georgian Halfpennies, have probably found less than 10 pre Victorian coins.
Cheers, :thumbsup:
Dave.
Sounds like you have some special inland permissions then and you must also be very close to the beach if 2 pounds pay for your petrol. These days £2 will get you about 100 yards!!! :thumbsup:
figgis

Good point about coins :thumbsup: For me, there are many things which determine whether a day has been successful or not, and coins do not figure on the list
keyfits

figgis wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 3:06 pm Good point about coins :thumbsup: For me, there are many things which determine whether a day has been successful or not, and coins do not figure on the list
:o It would be good to hear what does make it on your list?
figgis

1. Enough gin for the whole session.
2. Weather mild enough to completely enjoy my surroundings.
3. Any find of interest, no matter its age.
4. A bit of wildlife to watch.
5. Enough gin for the whole session.

:D :thumbsup:
Charles Abbeyville

Allow me to complicate things :roll:
I would divide coin finds as worth the digging or not.
Roman grots, hammered grots and modern pennies/halfpennies, poor day no matter how many I find.
Decent 17th century tokens, yes please.
Then I think I would like to jump back to Charles 2nd and earlier.
Fave coins: Saxon.
Having said all that I would prefer nice artefacts all day long of same periods.
Picky eh :lol:
Easylife

For me it's always nice to see a coin in the hole but I don't really care about the coppers which usually just go into a container never to be looked at again, so I'm personally not fussed if I find any copper coins or not. Though any silver are a bonus and even just one hammered makes it a great result. Any older or at least interesting artefacts make for a good day. :thumbsup:
D2 - 13"x11" coil - audio only.
keyfits

Easylife wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 4:29 pm For me it's always nice to see a coin in the hole but I don't really care about the coppers which usually just go into a container never to be looked at again, so I'm personally not fussed if I find any copper coins or not. Though any silver are a bonus and even just one hammered makes it a great result. Any older or at least interesting artefacts make for a good day. :thumbsup:
We are all different after all :thumbsup:
DaveP

Just got in after an afternoon in the fields.
More than 8 coins.
Only the 10p and the 2p have anything recognisable on them.
Walking back to the car I was caught between "if I don't detect I won't find anything" and "if I carry on detecting I don't want to find what I've been finding and should turn it off" but, "if I turn it off I won't find anything" so .........

The sunset was nice!

P.S. For me it's quality not quantity and coin or artefact. It only takes one good item to make the day and that can even be a lithic.
keyfits

DaveP wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 5:04 pm Just got in after an afternoon in the fields.
More than 8 coins.
Only the 10p and the 2p have anything recognisable on them.
Walking back to the car I was caught between "if I don't detect I won't find anything" and "if I carry on detecting I don't want to find what I've been finding and should turn it off" but, "if I turn it off I won't find anything" so .........

The sunset was nice!

P.S. For me it's quality not quantity and coin or artefact. It only takes one good item to make the day and that can even be a lithic.
Very true, as you said dont swing the big thing on the end you wont find anything in the end.
Oxgirl

Charles Abbeyville wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 4:07 pm Allow me to complicate things :roll:
I would divide coin finds as worth the digging or not.
Roman grots, hammered grots and modern pennies/halfpennies, poor day no matter how many I find.
Decent 17th century tokens, yes please.
Then I think I would like to jump back to Charles 2nd and earlier.
Fave coins: Saxon.
Having said all that I would prefer nice artefacts all day long of same periods.
Picky eh :lol:
That pretty much sums up my thinking too :D

I’d think one decent medieval button a pretty good day whilst 20 Roman grots isn’t. One nice hammered and I’m delighted, more and I’m ecstatic :Party:
Yes I really don’t like Roman coins, I’m not joking
Littleboot

figgis wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 4:04 pm 1. Enough gin for the whole session.
2. Weather mild enough to completely enjoy my surroundings.
3. Any find of interest, no matter its age.
4. A bit of wildlife to watch.
5. Enough gin for the whole session.

:D :thumbsup:
That is me but substitute Gin for Calvados. :lol:
"The forest was shrinking, but the trees kept voting for the axe, for the axe was clever and convinced the trees that because his handle was made of wood he was one of them."