DaveP

I see the site is no longer open for general viewing :(

https://www.landmark.co.uk/news-insight ... s-website/
TheFenTiger

I have always used this one

https://www.oldmapsonline.org/
Dave
DaveP

Thanks - I've used it too but the other site was so much easier to use. I've been in touch with them and you can get individual access - haven't looked at the cost yet. I'll check it out.
Oxgirl

National Library of Scotland’s ones cover off most maps although I know a few obscure ones are on old maps. Shame it has closed though :(
Yes I really don’t like Roman coins, I’m not joking
mattjb

I use one called Know your place West. Covers 7 counties,Gloucester,Wiltshire, Somerset etc. Side by side maps with different map choices and you can click on toolbar and get HER records, archeological dig info etc and it overlays those spots onto the main maps. Recommend it for those with permissions in those counties covered by it
Pete E

While I think the old maps found online are very interesting, I have never really found them that useful, as they lack detail and their scale is too large...the Victorian OS maps are about the oldest maps I can find on line that are both accurate and sufficient detail to be generally useful...

I have looked the online Tyth maps for my permissions here in North Wales, and again, they don't really offer much beyond what the Victorian OS maps do, but are worth looking at "just in case"...

I think the folks in Scotland fair better as military maps of Scotland were produced in the mid 1700's which were the predecessors of the OS maps in many ways...
stanslad

You got to get yourselves in the farmers office & take photos of the maps on the wall.
The drawn one from 1792 has the field names they still use today.
The painted one from 1669 has been a great help in finding now lost area’s & buildings that are not there now, like the church, windmill, orchard & medieval ponds.
They might even have a painting on the wall like this one of the drovers inn now a pile of bricks & stone that was on a junction that the footpaths & bridleways all meet at the drinking ponds & dated back to Elizabethan times.
Clint :thumbsup:
Attachments
1231949A-2D5C-43F9-B621-BF5AA1959CFB.jpeg
72A4F39A-7E16-493D-805A-25C93D2AC7F3.jpeg
7ECB055F-5404-4AF2-B82D-9FCE3B9FCEE8.jpeg
Pete E

stanslad wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 3:25 pm You got to get yourselves in the farmers office....
Sorry, that gave me a real chuckle! Many of the small farms I detect over don't even have gates that open properly, never mind an "office"! :lol: :lol:

But if you are lucky enough to detect over larger, more affluent farms/estates, it's definately worth enquiring about any historical mapping or documents they may have...
DaveP

Pete E wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 2:36 pm While I think the old maps found online are very interesting, I have never really found them that useful, as they lack detail and their scale is too large...the Victorian OS maps are about the oldest maps I can find on line that are both accurate and sufficient detail to be generally useful...
This is why I liked the Old-Maps website. It was a doddle to use and the attached shows the level of detail. I put the attached images from Old Maps + Lidar together for a neighbour. Most of those hedge lines are long gone and were gone before 3 generations of his family.
The only problem is the land is part of the Northumberland Estates and Lord Percy (Blackadder fame) won't have any detecting :thumbdown:
water lane farm old map.png
water lane map.png
JohnDeus

stanslad wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 3:25 pm You got to get yourselves in the farmers office & take photos of the maps on the wall.
The drawn one from 1792 has the field names they still use today.
The painted one from 1669 has been a great help in finding now lost area’s & buildings that are not there now, like the church, windmill, orchard & medieval ponds.
They might even have a painting on the wall like this one of the drovers inn now a pile of bricks & stone that was on a junction that the footpaths & bridleways all meet at the drinking ponds & dated back to Elizabethan times.
Clint :thumbsup:
I did the same Clint most farmers have some old maps with the old field names on, this time of year is the best time to ask for them as they are not doing so much work :thumbsup: