What will happen to your collection

figgis

I see what you're saying. Mancavechap, and yes, we do it all the time but I would imagine that an online catalogue would involve more than just an image and include such minimal data as a reference number, article type and attributed date/culture at the very least. This would take time and therefore resources.
TheFenTiger

But that is the sort of thing they could use interns and volunteers for.
Dave
DaveP

TheFenTiger wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 6:14 pm But that is the sort of thing they could use interns and volunteers for.
Or archaeologists when they shut their departments ;)
Saffron

Charles Abbeyville wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 12:35 pm
<cut>

I would venture to suggest that every museum has to have a web site that shows a photo of every single item it has AND IT IS FREE TO VIEW online!
<cut>
I have not been on for a short while but this is one of the best comments I have seen for a very long time.

As many know I do a lot of family / local history and my local military museum is Soldiers of Gloucestershire (well worth a visit if anybody is near Glouster docks) if you use the search facility on the website https://soldiersofglos.com/ they have 17,694 items catalogued and photographed that you can search on line. Its probably not perfect as I would like more information about the items online but it shows what they have and you can then follow up.

Evan
Saffron

As for items I have found when I depart this earth save time and money. Just open up the dustbin and put me and them in it, nobody will miss me or them.

Evan
Blackadder43

Saffron wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 11:17 pm As for items I have found when I depart this earth save time and money. Just open up the dustbin and put me and them in it, nobody will miss me or them.

Evan
I would miss you Evan
DaveP

Saffron wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 11:17 pm Just open up the dustbin and put me and them in it, nobody will miss me or them.
No chance. Around here you can't go in the black bag bin. You don't class as recycling so that only leaves the food waste bin and at 18" tall it would be a bit of a squeeze! :lol:
Oxgirl

Blackadder43 wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 8:15 am I would miss you Evan

Don’t fall for his sob story BA - we’d miss his genealogy skills anyway ;)

:Luv Ya:
Yes I really don’t like Roman coins, I’m not joking
shaggybfc

Saffron wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 11:17 pm As for items I have found when I depart this earth save time and money. Just open up the dustbin and put me and them in it, nobody will miss me or them.

Evan
That makes for really sad reading Evan. You'd certainly be missed. If you need a chat, please don't hesitate to reach out to me. :thumbsup:
Always carefully proof-read what you've typed to see if you've any words out.
Deus with 11" X35 and 9" HF coils. MI 6 pinpointer.
Easylife

Well the wife used to call all of my finds just scrap unless it was gold that she could wear, even any decent silver ring finds soon disappeared! Though on occasion she has quite surprisingly called some of my other finds pretty cool, so perhaps she is growing some fondness of them? :shock: When I pass maybe my ashes could go into the bottom draw of my finds cabinet then passed onto any family member who has some historical interest? :lol: I'm only joking about the ashes coz that always seems a bit creepy and dark to me! Or maybe I could pass the finds back to the landowner's, but they are all older than me, so maybe not really either? I just don't really care what happens to the majority of my finds as they are only quite common personal trophies of little value. Though the more significant few finds and those of a few hundred quid value I should maybe bequeath in my will to whomever I wish, whether that be a museum or an individual, so that they are not just unknowingly thrown away? Though actually I think I would rather just donate them all to a local historical group who would no doubt appreciate them more! :thumbsup:
D2 - 13"x11" coil - audio only.