Headphones For Noisy Environments???

Pete E

I am looking for a pair of headphones to use with the Nox and the WM-08 unit in noisy environments...

I bought a pair of Black Widows a few months back used on eBay, but when I actually got around to using them, they were faulty :-x

So can anybody recommend a good set of full cup/ear defender style headphones? I would prefer a set with the minium number of external controls, just good quality sound reproduction and weather resistant....

Thanks in advance,

Peter
Dave The Slave

Can`t recommend any , Pete but over the ear full cup are normally just as good as ear defenders, which i wore at work in the Print industry for 10 plus years. They keep the weather out, especially down the beach in Winter when it can be near gale like. Still using the set from my Bounty Hunter, 16 years old and fit the 400i .
Good luck with your search for ear protection and audio qualities.
Cheers, :thumbsup:
Dave.
Pete E

Thanks Dave...

I'm not sure I used the correct terminology, but I am just looking for a standard full over the ear type headphone like the Bountyhunter or Black Widows as as opposed to the much open style like the blue Deus backphones....

I find the Equinox supplied headphones are fine for most situations, but are a bit of a half way house as far as ear coverage goes in that they don't quite block out things like road traffic or even wind noise in certain circumstances...

Regards,

Peter
Pete E

Just add, I don't know whether I need stereo or mono earphones , and whether they should be low or high impedance????
DaveP

Not sure about the WM-08 unit as I don't use one with the Nox.

You could look at the Gray Ghosts or the IsoTunes (building site headphones but they would not have dangling leads). The solution is there but it depends on budget.

Does the WM-08 allow wired phones. If so try your ear buds and pop a pair of Peltor Shotgunners over the top before spending oodles on expensive phones.

I just tried the headphones I use with the Nox which have 10cm long ear cups and compared with a basic set of Peltor shooting earmuffs which are 10.5cm long with Billy Bragg on the computer and there is a very obvious difference in the amount of sound they block and amount of ear they cover. Who would have thought 0.2 inches would make such a difference :wink:
Metalurgy

FWIW,I was advised by a retailer that the ghosts don’t work that well with the wm08.I’ve tried various different headphones with the nox and have found all of them quiet with a dull tone,maybe it’s my hearing.
I’ve found that wired buds with the wm08 are louder and sharper and I can also wear my Elmer Fudd hat over them when it’s colder.
Blukar from Amazon are cheap and for me,work well.
Pete E

I have tried buds for summer detecting, but never really got on with them...will have to try a different style I think...

Anybody heard of BJ Headphones? The guy has been around a while, and modifies standard ear defenders....
Easylife

I read that the lower the headphone impedance the louder they are. :thumbsup:
D2 - 13"x11" coil - audio only.
Pete E

Cheers Easylife..just been reading up on a detecting headphones, and quite a few wax lyrical about being stereo, but I can't believe detectors produce a true stereo audio out put?

After having a think, I ve dusted off my wireless earbuds, (Aukey Ep-B80) changed the silicon tips to smaller size ones, and will give them another go under some ear defenders...

From a music perspective, the buds sound cracking, and are proper low latency as well so hopefully the smaller tips will make them comfortable enough to wear for a few hours at a time....
Jamesey1981

Beyer Dynamics DT100.

They're not intended for metal detecting, but of you look at the person sitting on the sound desk at any large concert, festival or theatre production there's a very good chance that's what they'll be wearing.

They're not weather resistant so if it's wet you'll need to put your hood up over them, but they shut out pretty much all sound and the audio response is about as true as it's possible to get, they are intended for monitoring so you hear the signal that's put into them, they don't mess with the sound at all, a lot of headphones are very bass heavy these days, DT100s just give you what you put in.

They're expensive, but they are pro audio equipment so expensive goes with the territory, they last forever and they are comfortable to wear for hours on end.

I used to use these when I worked in the theatre industry when I was moonlighting on the sound desk, my natural habitat was on the lighting desk, but we were all multi skilled at my theatre so I can run a sound desk almost as well, and none of us would use anything else when we were on that desk.
That is not dead which can eternal lie,
And with strange aeons even death may die.

I'm a Mortgage Broker, please visit my website for help with your mortgage:
https://denariusmortgages.co.uk/
Pete E

Jamesey1981 wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 9:11 am Beyer Dynamics DT100.

They're not intended for metal detecting, but of you look at the person sitting on the sound desk at any large concert, festival or theatre production there's a very good chance that's what they'll be wearing.

They're not weather resistant so if it's wet you'll need to put your hood up over them, but they shut out pretty much all sound and the audio response is about as true as it's possible to get, they are intended for monitoring so you hear the signal that's put into them, they don't mess with the sound at all, a lot of headphones are very bass heavy these days, DT100s just give you what you put in.

They're expensive, but they are pro audio equipment so expensive goes with the territory, they last forever and they are comfortable to wear for hours on end.

I used to use these when I worked in the theatre industry when I was moonlighting on the sound desk, my natural habitat was on the lighting desk, but we were all multi skilled at my theatre so I can run a sound desk almost as well, and none of us would use anything else when we were on that desk.
I've just had a look at these on eBay...there is a pair listed as 16ohm incidence "suitable for home hifi" with no bids as yet...it looks like the Studio version is 150 ohm...Looking at a big American detector retailer, most of the top end detecting head sets are listed as one or the other of these values too, but I have no idea which suits the Nox....I tried a set of normal headphones I use are home in the Nox, and they don't work at all, although that could be down to the stereo ~v~ mono wiring aspect....

All in all., I know just enough about electronics to know I don't know enough about electronics to mess about rewiring or trying to adapt a set a set for the Nox! :lol:
Jamesey1981

Pete E wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 12:15 pm I've just had a look at these on eBay...there is a pair listed as 16ohm incidence "suitable for home hifi" with no bids as yet...it looks like the Studio version is 150 ohm...Looking at a big American detector retailer, most of the top end detecting head sets are listed as one or the other of these values too, but I have no idea which suits the Nox....I tried a set of normal headphones I use are home in the Nox, and they don't work at all, although that could be down to the stereo ~v~ mono wiring aspect....

All in all., I know just enough about electronics to know I don't know enough about electronics to mess about rewiring or trying to adapt a set a set for the Nox! :lol:
Do the ones you use at home have a microphone on them? Most do these days, and the connector is slightly different. If it has a mic it will be a TRRS jack, ones that don't have a TRS jack for stereo or a TS jack for mono.

TRS or TS should both work on the nox, I have just checked the minelab wired ones that I got with my 600 (as well as the ML80s) and they have a TRS jack.
That is not dead which can eternal lie,
And with strange aeons even death may die.

I'm a Mortgage Broker, please visit my website for help with your mortgage:
https://denariusmortgages.co.uk/
Pete E

Jamesey1981 wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 12:51 pm Do the ones you use at home have a microphone on them? Most do these days, and the connector is slightly different. If it has a mic it will be a TRRS jack, ones that don't have a TRS jack for stereo or a TS jack for mono.

TRS or TS should both work on the nox, I have just checked the minelab wired ones that I got with my 600 (as well as the ML80s) and they have a TRS jack.
I doesn't have a mic and has a three part jack which I believe is TRS...Anyway, I am going to give my ear buds another go, and if I still can't get on with them, will try a pair of those BJ Headphones as the guy makes a set specifically for the Nox and they seem to have good reviews....
Mancaveman

A word of caution. I used to have a pair of Peltor Preditor headphones on one of my older machines but found them a bit tight and therefore uncomfortable. I am reluctant to buy a set from BJ because I understand he uses the Peltor Optime II ear defenders. I have a small bonce and maybe worry too much about them being too tight.
Good luck with your search though.