My First Venetian Soldino

BuriedByTime&Dust

I'd seen a few of these at club meetings (back in pre-covid times!) but until today I'd never found one. It's a bizarre design that looks a bit like an alien at first glance, but is the lion of St Mark. I found a hefty jetton with this design on on a few years back.
Attachments
soldino2.jpg
soldino.jpg
Littleboot

It is always nice to find one of these exotic type coins. Just when things are getting a tad predictable up pops something different. Never found one of these. The design must cause a bit of puzzling when it is first exposed. I'm in France and I got a coin with a very left-field design on. It certainly wasn't one of the usual suspects I dig. Took me ages to realise it was a ship ha'penny. :lol: But I suppose to one of our local froggy detectorists that would be a real interesting anomaly.
But I digress. There is something very romantic and appealing about finding a Venetian coin in home soil. The sort of find that would make me want to break into a rendition of 'Just one Cornetto...' and imagine gondolas on the Grand Canal. A special kind of Time Travel.
"The forest was shrinking, but the trees kept voting for the axe, for the axe was clever and convinced the trees that because his handle was made of wood he was one of them."
BuriedByTime&Dust

The reverse might make you think you'd found a Martian hammered. It's certainly an odd design :lol:
Oxgirl

I’ve had only one pretty whole one of those, but never a full one. Keep getting tiny fragments too, sent to torment me. They are beautiful, tiny coins and yours is a nice one :thumbsup:
Yes I really don’t like Roman coins, I’m not joking
figgis

They do turn up quite regularly, but sadly not on my fields. Had a half real once, but never a soldino.
BuriedByTime&Dust

figgis wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 4:52 am They do turn up quite regularly, but sadly not on my fields. Had a half real once, but never a soldino.
I thought I'd got my first round farthing when it first appeared, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that there's one of those there somewhere!

The risk of rain should be minimal from now until dusk (I hope) so I think I'll have another little go this afternoon and see what else the field has to offer :thumbsup:
JohnDeus

Well done on no longer being a Soldino virgin :)
Allectus

Doge Nicolo Tron ;)
BuriedByTime&Dust

Allectus wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 7:51 pm Doge Nicolo Tron ;)
Thanks Allectus :thumbsup: