What do you do with your lead?

BuriedByTime&Dust

There was a recent article in Treasure Hunting magazine about casting lead soldiers etc. from lead finds and we do get a lot of them. I've just weighed my lead from the last three weekends and it amounts to a little over 1.8kg.

I'll be melting mine down to use as ballast in the wooden fishing lures that I make, but I'd be interested to hear if anyone else makes good use of the lead finds. I don't use musket balls etc. by the way, just the usual non-descript scraps.
Attachments
trout921.jpg
Easylife

In the past I have just scrapped it but may be more creative with it in future? Just not sure what though? :Thinking:
D2 - 13"x11" coil - audio only.
Oxgirl

You made that? Wow it’s beautiful :Star:

I need to weigh mine in soon. I have one bucket I can’t lift and another that I can just move :D guessing there’s 50-69 kilos at least.
Yes I really don’t like Roman coins, I’m not joking
figgis

Cor, that lure's a bit special :thumbsup: Great work, sir.

My musket balls are in one pot (not sure what I'm going to do with them) and lead is in another. Probably weigh it in sometime but would prefer to do something creative like you :thumbsup:
DaveP

On two permissions the owners want to keep the musket balls.
On one permission they like to have the bag seals as part of the farm history - thanks to Stuart Elton for his help.
The rest gets a final check through before going for scrap. I have thought about using it for sea fishing leads but they are cheap enough cf. the process and effort of reworking it.

Nice lure - would be a shame to use it.
Littleboot

I used to weigh mine in, but since being in France I haven't got round to it and I must have a cwt of the stuff. I will have to get round to sorting that out. I keep the bag seals and the musket balls. Though in the case of the latter I am not entirely sure why. :lol:
BUT can we talk about that beautiful piece of art? It is superb! Do you sell them and do you make up displays? Far too nice to use of course.
"The forest was shrinking, but the trees kept voting for the axe, for the axe was clever and convinced the trees that because his handle was made of wood he was one of them."
BuriedByTime&Dust

Littleboot wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 10:57 am I used to weigh mine in, but since being in France I haven't got round to it and I must have a cwt of the stuff. I will have to get round to sorting that out. I keep the bag seals and the musket balls. Though in the case of the latter I am not entirely sure why. :lol:
BUT can we talk about that beautiful piece of art? It is superb! Do you sell them and do you make up displays? Far too nice to use of course.
That's exactly what I do with most of them - chuck them in the water for pike to chew :D I do sell a small number, but they take a long time to make, so small numbers are all I ever have to offer for sale. It's a hobby that sees me through the summer months when all the fields that I have permission to detect on are under crop.

I make most of my lures from western red cedar, which is very very buoyant and needs quite a bit of lead to get the correct sink rate. The one pictured here has at least 5oz of lead in it, some of which will have been laying in the ground for centuries. Proper upcycling :thumbsup:

Thanks everyone for the kind words :)
Dave The Slave

Apart from fishing weights off the beach, which i have given to a colleague who fishes, up until this season have kept the lead, which has not been much.
Cannot bring myself to scrap musket balls, probably less than 20 of those, or the Victorian bullets, apart from the fragments, or lead bag seals.
Rest of the lead i give to my detecting friend, which will go towards fuel or whatever. Also in one of her fields, we dig brass fuze pieces, roughly 3 make a Kg, so we are collecting those, although we can`t get back on that field until after harvest.
I have joked at work, that i would encase the toilets in lead to block the mobile signals of the youngsters, who nip to the loo on numerous occasions, to use their phones. :lol:
Cheers, :thumbsup:
Dave.
Pete E

Did read a bit ago that in the States certain types of old lead sells at a premium...IIRC it's used in certain scientific instruments because it's natural background radiation has decayed to levels lower than is available today...I have no idea if there is any such market in the UK....
Dave The Slave

Pete E wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 2:52 pm Did read a bit ago that in the States certain types of old lead sells at a premium...IIRC it's used in certain scientific instruments because it's natural background radiation has decayed to levels lower than is available today...I have no idea if there is any such market in the UK....
Read this somewhere recently too, believe it is called Alpha lead and is pre Atomic bomb, which is mostly what we find anyway. Not sure if someone was hyping up the price to sell theirs at a premium but they were quoting gold like figures, believe they were also in the US.
Could not find anywhere buying this specific lead.
Dave.
DaveP

Dave The Slave wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 3:27 pm Read this somewhere recently too, believe it is called Alpha lead and is pre Atomic bomb, which is mostly what we find anyway.
I learn something new every day - thank you. Going by this article I think the groups probably have enough and would need more than a jar full of musket balls.

https://www.good.is/articles/the-search ... ound-steel
Metalurgy

Dave The Slave wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 3:27 pm Read this somewhere recently too, believe it is called Alpha lead and is pre Atomic bomb, which is mostly what we find anyway. Not sure if someone was hyping up the price to sell theirs at a premium but they were quoting gold like figures, believe they were also in the US.
Dave.
If that’s the case,then I believe I have a large fortune stashed away,should I insure it and if so how much per kilo? :lol:
Pete E

Dave The Slave wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 3:27 pm Read this somewhere recently too, believe it is called Alpha lead and is pre Atomic bomb, which is mostly what we find anyway. Not sure if someone was hyping up the price to sell theirs at a premium but they were quoting gold like figures, believe they were also in the US.
Dave.
On the article I read, they wanted far older than just pre-atomic and the lead they seemed be going for was the ballast from 17th Century ships wrecks...

That said, I know bronze recovered from WW1 era ship wrecks is prized scientific instruments for it being uncontaminated as well....
mattjb

BuriedByTime&Dust wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 10:58 pm There was a recent article in Treasure Hunting magazine about casting lead soldiers etc. from lead finds and we do get a lot of them. I've just weighed my lead from the last three weekends and it amounts to a little over 1.8kg.

I'll be melting mine down to use as ballast in the wooden fishing lures that I make, but I'd be interested to hear if anyone else makes good use of the lead finds. I don't use musket balls etc. by the way, just the usual non-descript scraps.
Cracking work there, you’ve got the skills!
I’ll probably scrap the detecting lead I’ve got as I sometimes get lead on site work that I keep for melting down for 3oz fishing leads or making pyramid mud weights for the boat.
jcmaloney

I put mine in 40 litre flexi buckets down the back of the shed.

I also sort the Club scrap bins after each dig. Club rule - once its in the bin its mine - best "bin finds" so far ......a Charles 1st shilling, 2 La Tene brooches, 1 ampulla, 1 pilgrims badge and a couple of rose farthings. :D

There are 14 flexi buckets down the back of the shed, soon to be joined by two more once its sorted.

In the near future I will purchase a sack barrow (so I can move them) and the local recycling chap will pick them up and "weigh & pay". :thumbsup:
I`m Marmite me. Opinionated, obstinate and somewhat tenacious.