Equinox 1 : Deus 1

TheFenTiger

So I went out for the first time on Thursday to try out the 600. I knew it would be a learning curve but I was confident that the hammered would be leaping from the ground as I have been promised that it is a game changer and would bring my fields back to life. Left home in the cold but relatively overcast morning, went though a 5 minute blizzard to get to my permission in the sunshine. I thought I would go to my purse loss area as the equinox was sure to come thorough with the goods as here was as good a place as any for those promises to come true.

Set up as the instructions that came with the detector run past with those on what my whatsapp group use. I know the tones are different but they are so much more muted and softer than the positive deus signals I am used to. I was initially using 5 tones as 50 was a bit too much but no matter how hard I tried I could not get a solid 2 way signal, if I could pinpoint one at all. Positive 1 way, negative the other, moving targets. I tried all sorts of sweep speeds, but it was almost as if there was a latency issue with the wireless headphones. In that area the only signals I dug were 2 nails.

A sharp snow shower had me moving to a different field as the one I was in was in crop and I didn't want to do too much damage. I went to the failed OSR with a massive flat patch with no crop in the middle which is also my main hammered field. Again, I thought I should get a couple of hammered as this is the field where they should be if anywhere. I rechecked my settings compared to forums and friends settings and set off again. Still the same issue. No real positive dig me signals but I carried on, slowing right down. I can say that small targets can be found as small pieces of lead, recovery made difficult by the mud, and a couple of airgun pellets gave signals I could dig. I got a nice 14/15 signal which produced a nice York Royal mint Edward I penny which did change my mood a lot but I was still fighting for signals. I guess that realistically the last few times out with the deus there were few signals but I was relying on the hype to pull out what the deus is supposed to be missing.

I did find a spur fragment and then got a real ringer of a signal at 33 which was a large livery button. In total around 4 hours detecting time which I really was trying hard to get on with the machine.

Roll on Saturday and the weather was great for detecting so back out to the same field with a fresh head ready to give the equinox another go. I only managed an hour before I gave up and went and fetched the deus. Again the dig / no dig signals were just not there. I even tried 2 tone to try to give myself the chance for find a digable signal but apart from a few pieces of small lead I was struggling. Again, to be fair the Deus wasn't seeing much more than the equinox in that field so it may be it needs the plough to open it up again. However, I did find a Robert II Scottish penny which is really thin and a bit battered but the deus did still do its job.

I won't give up on it and will try it on another field. I have over 6 years experience with the Deus and I know the tones and sweep speed are different but I was finding I had to use the pinpoint mode on the equinox which I have never used on the Deus. So in 5 hours, equinox 1 hammered, 3 hours deus 1 hammered. So far not a game changer for me that I had hoped it to be.
Dave
BuriedByTime&Dust

The main difference is that the Equinox will pick up really deep signals that the Deus still might, but probably not on settings that most of us would use for general search.

I sold my Equinox, but in the time that I had it (18mths or so) it sniffed out a couple of crotal bells from depths that I doubt the Deus could have reached. If you're not seeking deeper targets though, I doubt that you're going to find anything that you couldn't with the Deus.
TheFenTiger

BuriedByTime&Dust wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 10:53 pm The main difference is that the Equinox will pick up really deep signals that the Deus still might, but probably not on settings that most of us would use for general search.

I sold my Equinox, but in the time that I had it (18mths or so) it sniffed out a couple of crotal bells from depths that I doubt the Deus could have reached. If you're not seeking deeper targets though, I doubt that you're going to find anything that you couldn't with the Deus.
I wonder if that is the lower frequencies doing their job. I would never think to search in 4 or 8 but the multi will be using them all the time
Dave
Easylife

That is to be kind of expected really until you learn to interrpret the deeper non-ferrous Nox responses. It sounds like you have already had all of the hammereds to 6" anyway. I guess that the first few times time out with the Nox many would naturally be missing the very deep targets as the response is often just not a simple 2-way solid beep beep. Unlike the Deus with iron bleed through into the high tones that just doesn't happen on the Nox, it is just a deep non-ferrous target of which the tones are elevated. Both a ferrous and non-ferrous target together (masked) is usually clear enough once you learn how to interrpret those responses, though better using 50 tones. One way responses are fine, usually due to target orientation or next to iron, with of course the exception of say iron with a hole in it or suchlike! Tones are quite different to the Deus but it is a simple enough language. I moved from a Deus using full tones and after a few times out soon gelled with the 50 tones and the very different TID range.
On my pasture permissions the Nox has really been quite a game changer but you can only find what is there. Learn what it is trying to tell you and I'm sure that it will find more.
Settings wise it is hard to go wrong with the Nox, not sure of 600 equivalents, but on 800, Reactivity 5, Sense as high as stable, FE1 0 or FE2 0, horseshoe on with iron vol 1.
But as said just don't simply dismiss any targets that are not a really positive 2 way as some of them are quite likely what you seek but on edge or close to the limits of Nox detection range. :thumbsup:
D2 - 13"x11" coil - audio only.
Pete E

Easylife wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 1:45 am That is to be kind of expected really until you learn to interrpret the deeper non-ferrous Nox responses. It sounds like you have already had all of the hammereds to 6" anyway. I guess that the first few times time out with the Nox many would naturally be missing the very deep targets as the response is often just not a simple 2-way solid beep beep. Unlike the Deus with iron bleed through into the high tones that just doesn't happen on the Nox, it is just a deep non-ferrous target of which the tones are elevated. Both a ferrous and non-ferrous target together (masked) is usually clear enough once you learn how to interrpret those responses, though better using 50 tones. One way responses are fine, usually due to target orientation or next to iron, with of course the exception of say iron with a hole in it or suchlike! Tones are quite different to the Deus but it is a simple enough language. I moved from a Deus using full tones and after a few times out soon gelled with the 50 tones and the very different TID range.
On my pasture permissions the Nox has really been quite a game changer but you can only find what is there. Learn what it is trying to tell you and I'm sure that it will find more.
Settings wise it is hard to go wrong with the Nox, not sure of 600 equivalents, but on 800, Reactivity 5, Sense as high as stable, FE1 0 or FE2 0, horseshoe on with iron vol 0.
But as said just don't simply dismiss any targets that are not a really positive 2 way as some of them are quite likely what you seek but on edge or close to the limits of Nox detection range. :thumbsup:
Hi mate, do you really run with FE Volume at 0 ie off? I tried this a while ago, and felt when iron and non iron were present, it still blanked out the non ferrous signal somewhat??? I have seen others recommend it, and if I am wrong will give it a go again...
Easylife

Pete E wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:21 am Hi mate, do you really run with FE Volume at 0 ie off?
Oops, no that was a typo, I use Iron volume 1. :oops: :thumbsup:
D2 - 13"x11" coil - audio only.
TheFenTiger

On my land it is unlikely that iron is masking targets. I can't believe there will be that many that are sat that close to iron to make them difficult to find.
Dave
BuriedByTime&Dust

TheFenTiger wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 11:13 pm I wonder if that is the lower frequencies doing their job. I would never think to search in 4 or 8 but the multi will be using them all the time
That's exactly what it will be :thumbsup: The danger in using 4kHz on the Deus is that whilst you might well hit a deep milled silver, the sensitivity to small targets is reduced, so you might miss a shallower hammered penny. It's well worth a go on land that you've already covered thoroughly with higher frequencies though.
Pete E

TheFenTiger wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:48 am On my land it is unlikely that iron is masking targets. I can't believe there will be that many that are sat that close to iron to make them difficult to find.
How noisy is the machine when you use it? On empty/clean ground it should be running fairly quietly, if not you would have to ask why not?

Are you running it with the Ground Balance at O? That is a very common recommendation, and works most of the time, but on noisy ground, I find an Auto Ground Balance works better....One thing to check for and avoid at all costs is accidently going into Tracking Ground Balance...

I moved from the Racer to the Nox about three years ago, and hated the Nox the first couple of outings I used it, to the point I thought I had made an expensive mistake...

After I started to get the hang of it, I grew to love it and now the thought of learning a different machine makes me shudder! lol

I would say that you should be able to get 75% to 80% of the capability of the machine quite quickly , but squeezing out that last bit takes a lot longer....I am happy to say I am still learning, but am enjoying it now rather than being a bit intimidated as I was when I first started....
TheFenTiger

The ground is very quiet, some slight buzzing as I am sweeping. I did wonder if it could be auto tracking as that can knock down signals but I have looked at how you would do it and I definitely didn't go to that mode. I did ground balance before starting as well as noise cancel.
Dave
DaveP

TheFenTiger wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 10:22 pm I guess that realistically the last few times out with the deus there were few signals but I was relying on the hype to pull out what the deus is supposed to be missing.
I think that sums it up - lots of hype and no data. I have yet to see any well conducted tests or data to say one machine is better than the other. All you can say for sure is that the Nox, cf. the current Deus, allows all detectorists, wherever it's sold, to buy just one machine with one coil and use either multi or single frequencies on land or beach and do it in the pouring rain and spend less money. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.
Littleboot

I came to the 600 from the GMP. Loved my GMP but the finds on some fields were drying up and though it was excellent on silver I was worried it was missing gold. Which turned out to be correct.
I ditched the idea of using 0 ground fairly early on my permissions. After doing many tests manually it became obvious that it always hovered around 16 on my soil.So that became my default with the occasional tweak.
I tried 50 tones but my ears are not up to the job and I prefer 5. I like to listen to other things beside the actual note it plays. The shape of the tone...hard edged or soft, ringing or mellow. The variability. I get all the info i need from 5 but that is me. I was used to just three on the GMP so it feels more than enough.
I stick in 1 for iron. I don't use the horse shoe habitually as sometimes it just muddies the picture rather than clarifying it. (Although I always run it on horse shoe on new ground) I never try to use the onboard pinpointer when the horseshoe is on as it seems to knock it out of centre.
I am not a person who goes into extraordinary lengths to know what every twiddle does in a scientific way. :lol: I do know when I am set up to get goodies though. That is more often than not about the person on the end of the stick interpreting the info properly. I gradually started digging more one-way signals (I got my ear attuned to which ones were diggers and which were not) and I also dug more low tones and numbers. The more I did that the more I found.
It takes time to transition. I have suffered that trauma countless times over the years. Often having my old machine with me and giving up on the new one half-way through the day. That strategy was always a mistake. I found it was much better to simply surrender to the process. not hark back to the old machine but immerse myself in the new. Just like learning an actual language. My results have been very reasonable and I think it is very early days to be doing a comparison. :Thinking: :)
"The forest was shrinking, but the trees kept voting for the axe, for the axe was clever and convinced the trees that because his handle was made of wood he was one of them."