My first gold coin

mattjb

BuriedByTime&Dust wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 9:24 pm As I said to a mate this evening, fishing potential is pretty much known these days, wherever you go. Detecting potential is never known, no matter where you go! There's no catch and release and pretty much anything can turn up pretty much anywhere and that's a real draw!

By this time of year, my local fields are mostly drilled and out of bounds, but with pasture to go at now, the pike rods might get used a bit less. We'll see...
Yep you are right there, the complete unknown with detecting has the edge over fishing for me at the moment. Had a four day trip to the Lake District last month and been out twice locally but no where near as much I would have before rediscovering detecting.
Less getting up hours before dawn and lugging loads of heavy kit about as well!
BuriedByTime&Dust

mattjb wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 9:40 pm Yep you are right there, the complete unknown with detecting has the edge over fishing for me at the moment. Had a four day trip to the Lake District last month and been out twice locally but no where near as much I would have before rediscovering detecting.
Less getting up hours before dawn and lugging loads of heavy kit about as well!
Very true!

My local farm permission is handy enough that I can be detecting within ten minutes of leaving the house and there's a lot to be said for that! I often go there at the weekend and seldom before 1pm. As you say, it's a more attractive proposition than getting up at 4am on your day off and driving a couple of hours to fish!
BuriedByTime&Dust

Littleboot wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 9:16 pm Oh boy what a great coin! A work of art. many congrats. :Party: :Party: I don't blame you for not wanting to put it down! Close your eyes and imagine who held that last and how that place looked back then. The closest we can get to time travel. I wonder what else is lurking unseen waiting for you to waft your machine over it and save it from oblivion! :Thinking: :thumbsup:
Aren't they just!

You have to wonder what might have been with the coinage, had the Romans not taken over when they did. The early Saxon coinage has a similar abstract beauty, but the Roman ones in the interim are a bit bland in comparison.

Not that I'd turn my nose up at a solidus, if the detecting gods are looking in :D
Oxgirl

I’ve only just recovered enough from seeing this to get up from the floor and comment.

Wonderful find! Sincere congratulations :Star:
Yes I really don’t like Roman coins, I’m not joking
DaveP

I think we all know where you'll be today, tomorrow, the next ........ :D

Superb find and hope you get some more great finds to show.
Dave The Slave

Great find, congratulations. :clapping:
Cheers, :thumbsup:
Dave.
Jamesey1981

Lovely coin that one, I like the design on it, very cool.
That is not dead which can eternal lie,
And with strange aeons even death may die.

I'm a Mortgage Broker, please visit my website for help with your mortgage:
https://denariusmortgages.co.uk/
Reiver

What a belter !!!
Well done that man. :clapping: :clapping:
figgis

Well, you're never going to top that as an introduction to a new field! Nor is anyone else, for that matter.

Nicely done, sir :thumbsup:
figgis

Steve_JT wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 9:26 pm That is a rather special coin :thumbsup: :thumbsup: bet that's under your pillow tonight :lol:
That'll confuse the hell out of the Tooth Fairy :lol:
Roughwood

Splendid! That's something on my wish list! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
BuriedByTime&Dust

Roughwood wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 6:45 pm Splendid! That's something on my wish list! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
One of those was very high up on my wishlist too and I never expected to get one. I thought it was a lead token when it came out of the ground covered in mud, such was the weight. Then a quick wipe revealed the pattern :shock:
BuriedByTime&Dust

Oxgirl wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 12:37 am I’ve only just recovered enough from seeing this to get up from the floor and comment.

Wonderful find! Sincere congratulations :Star:
It's a special one, that's for sure, and one hell of a shock! I don't mind those sort of shocks though :thumbsup:
Jamesey1981

BuriedByTime&Dust wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 4:02 pm It's a special one, that's for sure, and one hell of a shock! I don't mind those sort of shocks though :thumbsup:
It is a shock isn't it. I found one not too long ago, when I broke open the clod it just flew out, must admit I swore quite loudly!
That is not dead which can eternal lie,
And with strange aeons even death may die.

I'm a Mortgage Broker, please visit my website for help with your mortgage:
https://denariusmortgages.co.uk/
BuriedByTime&Dust

Jamesey1981 wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 4:48 pm It is a shock isn't it. I found one not too long ago, when I broke open the clod it just flew out, must admit I swore quite loudly!
I may have uttered an expletive or two myself! :lol: