New permission, pretty fob.

Littleboot

I have a new permission which is bit out of the ordinary way for me. It is a thatched half-timbered house in a clearing in the forest. It was built, using traditional techniques which have been the local building style for centuries. (The bulk of buildings in the countryside are half-timbered.) It was built in the 1920's as a kind of private gin palace for the local cheese baron. (Yes cheese barons are, or were, a thing in Normandy.) Inside the drawing room looks just like one where you'd expect Poirot to seat everyone waiting to give his verdict while Captain Hastings lounged by the fireplace with a pipe in his hand. Anyway, it has kind of been forgotten up on it's wooded clearing and you can only get to it down a long and treacherous driveway. The current owner lives in Dubai and we have the task of doing a report on it each month and reading meters etc as well as trying to get some quotes for re-thatching and maintenance. (Thatched houses are lovely until you have to have them re-thatched. This is due to be 80,000 euros. :shock: )
But I digress. I of course got permission and I suppose I thought I'd find a few trinkets from its gin palace days. :lol: It does have an old concrete plunge pool so I harboured thoughts of lost rings.
The area where the cars parked provided the usual pre and post Euro shrapnel (cheapskates_ :lol: ) The area to the side of the house actually yielded a small silver watch face from a ladies dress watch. Not in great condition but encouraging. Also a Nap III ten cents piece which dates well before the house was there. So that is a bit of an anomaly. Maybe there was a farm building there before the house went up. Or a hunter dropped it.
Then in the lawn between the house and pool I found this fob. Amethyst with a nice 'gold' setting. I suspect it is pretending on the gold front. I gave it a bit of a zap and some crud came off and more shiny stuff appeared but it is either junk gold or plated. I would happily be persuaded otherwise but.....The amethyst has a nice cut to it and I think it is the real thing. Dates to late 1900's I think. So dating earlier than the house but probably belonging to the big cheese, or of his oppos. (cheapskate :lol: ) Still, it encourages me to have another waft about the grounds while Pete talks to various froggy builders....
Attachments
IMG_1156.JPG
100_6453.JPG
100_6452.JPG
"The forest was shrinking, but the trees kept voting for the axe, for the axe was clever and convinced the trees that because his handle was made of wood he was one of them."
Easylife

Now that is a kind of different but interesting permission. Though it's just too easy to miss the good bits anywhere unless you give it a very fair go. But the fob just looks costume to me, not even gold plated, though would be a stunner if it had been the real deal. :o :thumbsup:
D2 - 13"x11" coil - audio only.
Littleboot

It is always a bit of a toss-up over how much time I can spend and when. I have a lot of land available and it is all about timing as you know. Some of my best fields are arable and have to be 'done' pronto or I am completely snookered for a long time crops-wise. A lot of my pasture grows very lush so again, timing. Someone has just given me 600 acres of a mixture of permanent pasture and woodland. (The pasture is problematic most of the time as the bulls are in the field with the cows and calves. So whenever one is vacant I have to bustle around. lol) I have no idea when I will get to do it in any kind of thoroughness. I didn't ask for it but the farmer who delivered our lamb for the freezer said he's seen me wafting and he was curious to know what was on his land. (Well the lamb was on his land and that is grade A :lol: so who could refuse?) As far as this thatched house is concerned, I can only go once a month for a short time as it has to fit in with work there. And that is the biggest limiter of all, of course. I only have so much time to dedicate to detecting. So I have to choose my battles. This survey didn't throw up too many surprises thus far and isn't really my main area of interest (I like older stuff) so a bit of a side project. I will go again over the Christmas period and depending on results, that will probably be it at this stage.
I have concluded that the fob is ormolu, Easy. So both costume and gold plated. :lol: It is/was extremely fashionable when that fob was made. Brass/bronze gilded. I sell a lot of ormolu stuff on my Etsy shop dedicated to selling French tat to Americans. Mainly small detailed cast bronze Louis Quinze style furniture mounts and the like. :lol:
"The forest was shrinking, but the trees kept voting for the axe, for the axe was clever and convinced the trees that because his handle was made of wood he was one of them."
Blackadder43

Lovely building though, i would love to live in a place like that, now wheres me lottery ticket :ugeek:

Hopefully you get to spend some more time there and hunt out the more precious finds that are certainly hiding there :thumbsup:
Dave The Slave

Nice place to live, Jan.
Good to see the fob come up, although i would be a bit worried about digging a manicured lawn.
Cheers, :thumbsup:
Dave.
Littleboot

It is pretty BA, but i would go bonkers if I lived up there for more than a week or so. I very much agree that, at first glance, it seems to tick the 'dream house' 'if I won the lottery' boxes. The youngish person who bought it isn't short of a bob or two and bought it on that impulse. But you are literally enclosed on all sides by woodland and short of a few willing hands with chainsaws there is no view of it or from it. Too much Brothers Grim for my taste. This is the view from inside the house.....
20211206_151833.jpg
....including the only visitor you are likely to get (apart from burglars).

The driveway is long steep and everytime the rain comes the surface washes away and you have to walk down to it and leave the car at the top of the hill. :lol:
The maintenance of these things is eye-watering and has even made our client blink. Thus having to get several more quotes. I know if you have won the lottery that wouldn't be an issue but it is ongoing mither and never simply looks after itself. All those period windows are single glazed and beeping chilly, the fire is a wonderful stone edifice but is open logs and not got anything as crass as functional in it as a woodburner (spoils the period ambience don't you know :roll: ) And that is before we start on the plumbing foibles. :lol: I used to dream of this kind of place but we look after a lot of things of this ilk...right up to Chateaux. Having seen how even very rich people struggle to keep them going and end up viewing these kinds of places like expensive millstones has been an education and affirmation of the old adage 'be careful what you wish for'. I have a very different view on what I'd do if I won the lottery now than i once had. (I suppose we all evolve different wishes at different stages of our cruise through life.) When we came here Pete had a fixation with beams (I find men often do have a hankering for what I think of as country-pub architecture. Open fires, beams, alcoves, etc :lol: ) and anything with a crumbling turret and 'features' would make him drool. Now though, having hit his bonce on numerous implacable chunks of oak in the course of his work he has modified his view.
Attachments
20211206_151833.jpg
Littleboot

Dave The Slave wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 9:44 am Nice place to live, Jan.
Good to see the fob come up, although i would be a bit worried about digging a manicured lawn.
Cheers, :thumbsup:
Dave.
Cheers Dave. The lawn isn't as pristine as it looks...i have added a picture of one of the resident mowers/manicurists. :lol: The owner will not come back till the summer so even my somewhat haphazard clods will be healed by then.
Oxgirl

I drool over old houses but as we already have one I know how blinking annoying/ expensive they can be. Not living in one 24/7 ain’t helpful for it either. Rot soon sets in.

Loving the fob though. Shame it isn’t real gold but very nice anyway. Betting the finds are pretty sparce there though. It’s hardly going to have ever had much traffic I’m guessing.
Yes I really don’t like Roman coins, I’m not joking
Littleboot

Oxgirl wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 12:07 pm I drool over old houses but as we already have one I know how blinking annoying/ expensive they can be. Not living in one 24/7 ain’t helpful for it either. Rot soon sets in.

Loving the fob though. Shame it isn’t real gold but very nice anyway. Betting the finds are pretty sparce there though. It’s hardly going to have ever had much traffic I’m guessing.
Oh boy, Cath. Does it ever (set in. rot) We also have an old cottage and an acre to maintain. Timber framing needs constant monitoring for any problems. When it was a second home we had to come once every 8 weeks maximum. Otherwise I was extremely nervous as to what I'd be faced with. They absolutely have to be lived in and aired. This morning we visited a nice town house on three floors we have sold (to a pair of Americans and they sign on the line tomorrow) for clients who bought it 30 years ago and only visited occasionally. They hadn't been for 3 years as they are now in their 80's. It has really gone backwards in the meantime. Lots of rising damp, lots of damp in the cupboards that are either side the chimney breasts. (The fires haven't been lit in years.) A problem with the old dormer on the top floor meant damp trickled all down through the house. We have had two powerful dehumidifiers on full blast for a month and it still isn't done drying out. It will be nice to see it come back to life as it has lovely 19th century features...Minton style floors, solid marble fireplaces and all kinds of nice door furniture which has been painted over the top of and is now my task to reveal. We are also selling a country property, 400 years old at least. It was a project started with gusto and then the money and enthusiasm burnt out. Been stood there for three years with a gable which has NO infill left between the timbers at all. The bloke doesn't want to sell but doesn't want to come over and do it either. Disgraceful really. His missus has twisted his arm and we have a Dutch couple who want to take it on. It could be beautiful but the estimates so far are around 150,000 to finish the project.
People buy things on impulse and even though we always ask people to think again (especially if we suspect the heart has over-ruled common sense) the lure of these romantic old dwellings is very strong. And once people have fallen in love it is impossible to persuade them that the object of their passion is not for them. :lol: (I know this as I have a son. :problem: )
I am with you all the way on 'probably nowt much there front. I will have another waft. Though down at the bottom of the wood is an old chateau which disappeared off the maps 200 years ago but is on the oldest Cadastral. Hope springs and all that. :lol:
JohnDeus

Nice little fob :thumbsup:
figgis

Lovely find on a site I'm not sure I'd want to live in other than perhaps a weekend getaway due to its remoteness. But no doubting the beauty of the house :blow kiss: