This weekend's finds

BuriedByTime&Dust

This weekend's efforts. Chuffed with the three silver, even though I can only identify one...

The Denarius is Domitian, the long cross is obviously Henry III, but moneyer and mint are a mystery. The sovereign penny I'd love to be Henry VIII, but clipping might mean that I'll never know.

The big bronze coin is a sestertius, I think. The smaller one is the same thickness. Could one of them be a dupondius? I don't know - roman denominations confuse the hell out of me.

The grots are what they are, but there's a really chunky bronze coin there. It's thicker than the big ones and with next to no detail on it. There's also a jetton that may have seen use as a button.

There were other bits. A pair of boy bishop lead tokens (I hadn't found one for a couple of years and now two in a weekend) and no less than five spindle whorls, but all plain and undecorated.

Any thoughts on the coin IDs would be appreciated :thumbsup:
Attachments
finds111121221.jpg
silver121221pic2.jpg
silver121221.jpg
Allectus

Henry VII/Archbishop Thomas Rotherham - York. 5c long x, Gilbert - Canterbury.

A ;)
BuriedByTime&Dust

Allectus wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 8:42 pm Henry VII/Archbishop Thomas Rotherham - York. 5c long x, Gilbert - Canterbury.

A ;)
I thought the sov. would end up being Henry VII, simply because I've already got one of those!

Thanks Allectus :thumbsup:
Blackadder43

Officially jealous there, what a great weekends detecting! :clapping:

I encourage folk to click the first photo and let it enlarge, then click through 2 and 3, absolutely stunning photos there, nice one :thumbsup:
BuriedByTime&Dust

Blackadder43 wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 8:55 pm Officially jealous there, what a great weekends detecting! :clapping:

I encourage folk to click the first photo and let it enlarge, then click through 2 and 3, absolutely stunning photos there, nice one :thumbsup:
Thanks BA.

All of those came from 4hrs yesterday. I went back today for 3hrs and found very little of interest from the same field. It's weird how that happens but they just "weren't biting" today! Same machine, same settings, and continuing the gridding pattern from yesterday, so pretty much the same sort of area of the field, but very different results!
mattjb

Cracking coins there , a good weekends detecting by anyone’s standards!
Blackadder43

BuriedByTime&Dust wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 9:15 pm Thanks BA.

All of those came from 4hrs yesterday. I went back today for 3hrs and found very little of interest from the same field. It's weird how that happens but they just "weren't biting" today! Same machine, same settings, and continuing the gridding pattern from yesterday, so pretty much the same sort of area of the field, but very different results!
You know what that is actually a thing in this hobby, you hear it said lots of times

See, now you have stirred the nerdy geek :ugeek: in me and i'm wondering if weather conditions on the day has an effect, or electro magnetic waves that are present all around us?
We know when it rains the ground comes alive with signals, but i wonder if the natural electro magnetic waves have an added bonus effect too?
Giving the metal objects an extra jolt so our machines can see them too
There is hope for my divining rods yet :ugeek:
Allectus

Could one of them be a dupondius?

========================================

Yep, Domitian. ;)
Easylife

Excellent, well done. :thumbsup:
D2 - 13"x11" coil - audio only.
BuriedByTime&Dust

Allectus wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 8:42 pm Henry VII/Archbishop Thomas Rotherham - York. 5c long x, Gilbert - Canterbury.

A ;)
Aaaah! CAN in the bottom right quadrant :thumbsup:

The ligated lettering really threw me there. I could see ON and thought "right here we go" and then.... :Thinking: :problem: :problem: :pulling hair out: :?
BuriedByTime&Dust

Blackadder43 wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 9:23 pm You know what that is actually a thing in this hobby, you hear it said lots of times

See, now you have stirred the nerdy geek :ugeek: in me and i'm wondering if weather conditions on the day has an effect, or electro magnetic waves that are present all around us?
We know when it rains the ground comes alive with signals, but i wonder if the natural electro magnetic waves have an added bonus effect too?
Giving the metal objects an extra jolt so our machines can see them too
There is hope for my divining rods yet :ugeek:
It's difficult to explain isn't it!. The roman area of this field is well defined now and whilst roman finds do turn up throughout the rest of the field (and to a lesser extent, the rest of the farm) the major concentration is in one corner of one field.

Normally, I only have access to this field in poor conditions for detecting. There's stubble and then a brief window from disking to drilling and that's it. However, next year it's going to be sugar beet, so it's been disked and left until March, which is great for me. Yesterday, I took the CTX and 17" coil and thought I'd see how far I could push the settings in the thoroughly soaked and compacted soil. I was actually able to run it flat out - full sensitivity, full gain and open screen - which opened up a whole new level of depth on that field.

Naturally I thought I'd cracked it, so turned up today with the same machine, same settings, thinking I'd carry on where I left off yesterday. I even set a waypoint on the GPS so that I could continue from exactly where I finished yesterday. However, today was almost a complete bust :problem:
Oxgirl

Wow that’s a cool collection from one day. Well done :thumbsup:
Yes I really don’t like Roman coins, I’m not joking
JohnDeus

Super finds well done :thumbsup:
Dave The Slave

That was a great days detecting. :clapping:
Plenty of Romans and Silvers.
Great photos and the tip from BA on viewing them in all their glory.
Cheers, :thumbsup:
Dave.