Five favourite finds

mattjb

Well I’m currently banished in isolation in the bedroom with the dreaded virus. (Room service hasn’t been great so far, my Yorkshire pudding was half eaten by my daughter by the time my roast dinner made it to the top of the stairs yesterday!)
With plenty of time on my hands I’ve been looking through my finds from this year and decided to pick out my 5 favourites …

Top- a Henry 2nd short cross, my first ever whole short cross ,it came on the 2nd visit to a new small pasture permission

Left- a silver clad, bronze cored Celtic of the dobunnic tribe
, my first ever Celtic and a real surprise.

Right- I’d had bits of fibulas before but this was my first completeish one!

Bottom- a Viking strapend or mount fragment with dragons head design. Came from the same field on the same day as the fibula and another total surprise.

Middle - I’d never had a medieval buckle with both pin and plate before and this one was the 2nd in a week from a field on another small pasture permission .I’ve got a soft spot for medieval buckles!

I’ve really enjoyed my first year back at detecting after a 15 year gap.
If anyone else out there has too much time on their hands and would like to add to this thread I’d love to see your five favourites of 2021!
Attachments
6040BDAB-D5CA-4600-BE05-BDE669A960B1.jpeg
Dave The Slave

Good selection of finds, Matt.
Will add mine later.
Wishing you a speedy recovery. :clapping:
Out of interest have you had the booster, had mine Saturday, no problems from that, although i was expecting to see a large bruise as a few hours later that area felt like it had been punched by Mike Tyson.
Cheers, :thumbsup:
Dave.
Blackadder43

Hope you feel better soon fella :thumbsup:
Not the best excuse to sort ya finds out, but atleast you will keep occupied
Just dont mention that the room needs decorating else your next food delivery will include a roller, brushes and some paint :shock:
TheFenTiger

York mint coin
Dave
mattjb

Dave The Slave wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 3:53 pm Good selection of finds, Matt.
Will add mine later.
Wishing you a speedy recovery. :clapping:
Out of interest have you had the booster, had mine Saturday, no problems from that, although i was expecting to see a large bruise as a few hours later that area felt like it had been punched by Mike Tyson.
Dave.
Cheers,
I had the booster Saturday along with flu jab in the other arm. Was probably a bit late though as I’d obviously already been infected although it didn’t show on the lateral flow I did Saturday morning. I won’t got into the details but there is an antivax person in work who is not popular at the moment!
Just cold type symptoms along with a bit of a cough and loss of taste at the moment so hopefully I’ll be ok if I don’t die of boredom!
Like you,within a few hours of the booster that arm felt like it had been jabbed with a spear not a needle!
mattjb

Blackadder43 wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 4:10 pm Hope you feel better soon fella :thumbsup:
Not the best excuse to sort ya finds out, but atleast you will keep occupied
Just dont mention that the room needs decorating else your next food delivery will include a roller, brushes and some paint :shock:
:thumbsup:
I’m not bored enough yet to think about decorating, I hate the job ,would be the last thing I’d want to do, and if there is any mention of it the coughing and feeling ill will be ramped up somewhat!
mattjb

TheFenTiger wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 4:25 pm York mint coin
Cheers , Mr A IDed it at the time and said the same but well spotted! :thumbsup:
Dave The Slave

Favourite 5 finds, all from this season Matt as the virus banned me from travelling to the permission at the start of the year.
Probably an unusual choice due to being made of lead but fave has to be the Queen Anne post bag seal 1690-1708
Second has to be this gilded bronze ring, have no idea on the date until the FLO sees it but my first inland ring,
Thirdly, the Saxon Saucer brooch
Fourth, this 1893 Sixpence from my friends permission back in the summer and my first legible Victorian silver,
Finally,, but most importantly, my detecting friend who has made life bearable and with whom it has been a joy to share detecting experiences.
Dave.
mattjb

Dave The Slave wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 4:33 pm Favourite 5 finds, all from this season Matt as the virus banned me from travelling to the permission at the start of the year.
Probably an unusual choice due to being made of lead but fave has to be the Queen Anne post bag seal 1690-1708

Second has to be this gilded bronze ring, have no idea on the date until the FLO sees it but my first inland ring,

Thirdly, the Saxon Saucer brooch

Fourth, this 1893 Sixpence from my friends permission back in the summer and my first legible Victorian silver,

Finally,, but most importantly, my detecting friend who has made life bearable and with whom it has been a joy to share detecting experiences.
Dave.
Some crackers there Dave, that Saxon brooch would be my favourite, I’ve only had 3 Saxon bits, two strap ends and a buckle but that brooch would easily top them. Thanks for putting them up. :thumbsup:
mattjb

I see Alexander is online, if you are reading this you are only allowed to post your 5 favourite buttons so you don’t blow the rest of us out of the water!
( only joking, it’s not a competition!) :lol: