Lost earring!

Easylife

I was called upon tonight by a neighbour who had lost an earring. She was parked on a grass verge with the car boot open and when removing her shoulder bag the earring pinged off and she heard it hit the car. So I took the Nox and 11” coil round to look for it.
It was a very small gold and diamond earring and the first thing I did was to scan the remaining one which not surprisingly read a very low 1-2. :o The grass hadn't been cut and as expected was quite noisy with trash. So I blocked everything out on the discrimination apart from 1 to 3 which enabled me to isolate a few possibilities and I even scanned the pavement, gutter and road before finally accepting failure. But it could equally still be hiding somewhere in the boot of her car! :problem:
I explained the difficulty in finding such a small low reading item and she felt much better in knowing that we had at least tried hard to find it. I'm not so sure that even the 6” coil would have even made too much difference with it being a surface target but then the better separation could possibly have? But now back home I'm thinking that Field 2 could have had an edge, but Field 1 should still have got it if it was there as it detected the remaining one. If her car boot hadn't been open when she lost it I would be more inclined to have another go with the 6” coil in Field 2 knowing that it is actually there to be found! :Thinking: :thumbsup:
D2 - 13"x11" coil - audio only.
TerraBritannia

At least you gave it a good go Ian. Perhaps it'll turn up another time?
TerraBritannia [previously known as TerraEnglandia] but Andy is my real name.
https://www.youtube.com/TerraBritannia
Minelab Equinox 800
Blackadder43

The small coil would have helped to isolate that target against all the background noise imo
Field 2 would have been possibly better as its a bit more sprightly

But earings and chains are notoriously difficult to find anyways, just due to the tiny connecting links they have, especially chains
People see it as a lump of gold, when in reality to a metal detector they are almost individual tiny pieces of gold, with a tiny connection to the next link

Well done for trying, and i bet after a sleep tonight your curiosity might make you pop back with the tiddler coil and field 2 :lol:
Bors

Notoriously not easy to find are thin gold earings of the "Sleeper " types ,infact often unless your right over one with the centre of your coil ,your always going to find them very very difficult to find.
A better bet would probably if ones around would be to bring in a Tesoro Silver Sabre U max type detector or a Goldmax Power even for the Job .
Things aint cooking in my kitchen
Pete E

Easylife wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:00 pm I was called upon tonight by a neighbour who had lost an earring. She was parked on a grass verge with the car boot open and when removing her shoulder bag the earring pinged off and she heard it hit the car. So I took the Nox and 11” coil round to look for it.
It was a very small gold and diamond earring and the first thing I did was to scan the remaining one which not surprisingly read a very low 1-2. :o The grass hadn't been cut and as expected was quite noisy with trash. So I blocked everything out on the discrimination apart from 1 to 3 which enabled me to isolate a few possibilities and I even scanned the pavement, gutter and road before finally accepting failure. But it could equally still be hiding somewhere in the boot of her car! :problem:
I explained the difficulty in finding such a small low reading item and she felt much better in knowing that we had at least tried hard to find it. I'm not so sure that even the 6” coil would have even made too much difference with it being a surface target but then the better separation could possibly have? But now back home I'm thinking that Field 2 could have had an edge, but Field 1 should still have got it if it was there as it detected the remaining one. If her car boot hadn't been open when she lost it I would be more inclined to have another go with the 6” coil in Field 2 knowing that it is actually there to be found! :Thinking: :thumbsup:
Just curious, but what about trying one of the Gold functions on the Nox?
Easylife

Pete E wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:02 am
Just curious, but what about trying one of the Gold functions on the Nox?
Well a higher frequency should detect it better. I think that Gold mode is now multi rather than just the combined 20 & 40 khz that it used to be. Maybe the single 40 khz would be the better option?
IF the tiny earring (stud) is there then the biggest problem is that as it has such a low TID that any higher TID will mask it, and being a grass verge it is a bit trashy and noisy. But what it does have going for it is that it will be on the surface. What I might do is have another go using the 6" coil in either Field 2 or 40 khz and perhaps drop the sensitivity? I have a small Georgian gold fob ring that has a TID of 1 (so a similar target) I'll experiment with that to see what settings may work best for this situation. But we don't know for sure that it is actually on that grass verge as it could have gone into the car boot or anywhere! I guess she will likely have another really thorough search in the car boot and hopefully find it. But if not then one very slow and laborious way to almost certainly find it on the grass verge would be to slowly scan the most likely area (a few m2) with the pinpointer (not my job ;) ), but maybe better done when the grass has been cut! :Thinking: :roll:
Ladybird66

Well tried EL. Last resort, the pin pointer :o but on the odd occasion it does work.

Found that out by accident when I was called on to find an Engagement ring. Where ? Either in the mud by the gate, the grass verge or the stable. (In that order). Got covered in mud, ended up with the stable. Reinforced concrete floor, not been cleaned out, shavings and droppings everywhere. NO chance. The detector went crazy.
Only one thing for it. Take it all outside. All swept into the middle, Fourth barrow load sorted, nothing. Then Hubby comes up with the idea that as the pin pointer is less sensitive if HE goes through the pile in the stable it might pick the ring up and not the iron bars underneath.
Took him about 5 mins before he shouted ‘GOT IT’ Now why didn’t I think of that ? :roll: one delighted young lady flung her arms around his neck and cried with relief, My Hero ! Thankyou, Thankyou.

I did take a pic after she’d calmed down. Little twerp ! Fancy wearing a diamond Engagement ring when messing about with horses.!
Easylife

Easylife wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:03 am What I might do is have another go using the 6" coil in either Field 2 or 40 khz and perhaps drop the sensitivity? I have a small Georgian gold fob ring that has a TID of 1 (so a similar target) I'll experiment with that to see what settings may work best for this situation.
So I did experimented using the 6" coil and found that Field/Park 2 was better than single 40 khz. I used Park 2, multi, Reactivity 6 and Sensitivity greatly lowered. My thin gold fob ring is just 10mm x 1mm and gave a TID of 2 in Park 2. Face on with Sensitivity at just 1 it still gave a solid TID at 4cm. Side on it was 2cm at S2 and 3cm at S4 with solid TID's, so that was surprisingly useful to know. Also the Garrett carrot on full power could detect it face on at 2cm but nothing when on edge until slightly tilted.
I had another search for the earring but only found a couple more possible targets than before but am quite sure that I would have found the earring had it actually been there. :angel:

Anyway here is my test piece, a little Georgian gold fob split-ring that I found on pasture. :D
P1050976.JPG