Mondays Metal

Dave The Slave

Good to get a decent 3hr session in this week, after last weeks rain.
Only managed 15 items myself
couple of buttons, including one with a dog,
and what looks like a Dove livery type button,
My friend fared better with 33 items, including the Henry III Penny posted on here yesterday.
Although i have heard the term, finally found out what a pot mend is, as this piece of lead still has the pottery around the channel the lead created when fixed in to repair.
An improvement on last week and next week will be the final trip out until January.
Cheers, :thumbsup:
Dave.
figgis

Dave The Slave wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 3:38 pm
Although i have heard the term, finally found out what a pot mend is, as this piece of lead still has the pottery around the channel the lead created when fixed in to repair.
Are you sure that's pottery, Dave, or could it be rusty iron? Was lead used for ceramic repair? I'd have thought the heat of the molten lead would crack the pot further. Mind you, I'm just guessing :D
Oxgirl

figgis wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 5:51 pm Are you sure that's pottery, Dave, or could it be rusty iron? Was lead used for ceramic repair? I'd have thought the heat of the molten lead would crack the pot further. Mind you, I'm just guessing :D
It does have pottery in many examples. I have had a couple recorded and had another one this week too :thumbsup:

I was also reading this week about how medieval folk had very little evidence of lead poisoning in their bodies despite the high lead content of their pewter spoons and the more general lead use and exposure, including in pots. They think it’s because they used few food items with high acid content. Obviously citrus fruits were very rare. I assume things pickled in vinegar were rare or restricted in cooking? :Thinking:

EDIT: forgot to say a great mix of finds :D
Yes I really don’t like Roman coins, I’m not joking
figgis

Thanks, Cath :thumbsup: I was just thinking aloud, never having found one with anything other than metal in it. Wonder why you wouldn't mend ceramic pots with clay? Or did they?
Oxgirl

figgis wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 7:28 pm Thanks, Cath :thumbsup: I was just thinking aloud, never having found one with anything other than metal in it. Wonder why you wouldn't mend ceramic pots with clay? Or did they?
They’d have to re-fire them if they did and most people don’t have a kiln in their back garden :lol: Lead has a low melting point and is very pliable when it’s fresh lead. Sure the local pot man would have done a quick turn around on mending pottery too.
Yes I really don’t like Roman coins, I’m not joking
Easylife

The 'pot mend' looks about 2" diameter so quite large? :Thinking:
D2 - 13"x11" coil - audio only.