Deus 2 vs Nox?

Easylife

From what I have seen so far it seems that the Deus 2 may have an edge on the Nox regarding target separation. The audio responses may sound better too, but maybe just a different language really? Depthwise it appears at least equal, or possibly to have an edge but the jury is out on that one for now? But either way the Deus 2 seems like a great detector. :thumbsup:
I've seen a few Deus 2 vs Nox depth and target separation videos where they just crank the Nox reactivity to either virtually full up or down and then seem surprised that doesn't work better. I use the 15" coil and personally find that a reactivity of between 4 & 6 is all that you ever need, any more or less is just detrimental. For example, I usually search in reactivity 5 and on several occasions when finding a deep quite iffy non-ferrous target have experimented with reactivity and every time found that 3 or less just doesn't give a diggable response, same at the top end too with masked targets!
It's a shame that in some comparison videos that some testers are not more knowledgeable of programs and settings. For example in the latest one I saw they claimed that Gold mode was unusable in the UK so they just used Beach 2 instead which is maybe not appropriate really?

In my own experience Gold 1 is banging on all targets and takes no prisoners at all with a few tweaks. But still Beach 2 which they used instead quite surprisingly still did rather well!
The only real test for me would be to run the Deus 2 over ground that the Nox doesn't seem to be able to find any more targets in, but then if only a couple it is not at all game changer, but if lots then has a clear advantage. But for now I'm happy to just sit on the sidelines waiting to see the much bigger conclusion! :thumbsup:
D2 - 13"x11" coil - audio only.
Littleboot

I can honestly say that I have witnessed dozens of such head to heads for supposed 'top dog' over the years. A lot of detectorists getting excited about a new toy which is going to be a 'game changer' and give them the 'edge' on the fields. Somehow it is going to be that Heineken moment: 'refreshing the parts other detectors can't reach.' The word 'hoover' usually crops up somewhere. :lol: :roll:
I long since gave up even giving a passing glance to random people posting strange settings and doing comparisons between different models. Most of the time they are completely biased, whether they are fully aware of it or not. Usually they know one detector very well and set it up accordingly- the other not so much. :D All of which helps the dealers shift some more new machines but it rarely if ever helps me. First of all I set up my kit for the land I have. I have little or no interest in squeezing the last morsel of depth in order to 'see' a crappy broken button or a crappy bent hammy before someone else does at a rally. Apart from anything else, it doesn't make sound economic sense. I expect to get a good return on my investment and for my purchase to yield handsomely before I go through the pain of another transition.. I suppose that is simply my choice. (Just as I prefer to buy a good well-tested model of car second hand and run it for a few years. 8-)

Anyway, I am sure the Deus 2 will be a very good machine and an advance in terms of performance.. Though in recent years the advances have been more in terms of ease of use and clarity of signal etc rather than any advance of depth. Which brings us back to the age-old variable: the person on the end of the handle.
I am sure there are many better golf clubs than hubby's. His friends always eagerly buy the 'latest' clubs in the hopes of the longer straighter drive. Hubs, through a massive of amount of misspent youth, always out-drives them anyway because he has a good swing. I have no doubt that better clubs may help him a tad, just that other things come first.

It is of course nice to have a new machine that promises much. After a good few years with the GMP, which was like an old friend, I switched to the Nox and it made things come alive and I loved it. Sooooo easy to get to know, which is important. I can't waste a year getting to know a machine. I don't have the time! A machine I don't know or get along with is going to severely bugger up my finds rate for a season. Which is all a long winded way of saying that some people like to stay ahead of the opposition in terms of machine quality. Nowt wrong with that. But for me, with oodles of land that has never seen another coil anyway, I like a stable relationship with a competent detector. And that is enough for me.
"The forest was shrinking, but the trees kept voting for the axe, for the axe was clever and convinced the trees that because his handle was made of wood he was one of them."
Pete E

I think you are both spot on....it took quite a while and a couple of software updates to get the Deus1 where it is now and it took equally long for knowledgeable owners to really get the best out of the machine. I fully expect a similar development/learning curve with the Deus2 albeit a bit quicker as it's very similar to the Deus 1...

One area that will be interesting will be to see how it performs on loose aerated soil. The Deus1 had a good reputation in this respect and I will be keeping my eye out how the Deus2 in FMF compares...
Oxgirl

I’m intrigued by the clamour for ‘versus’ videos. Are Nox users really likely to switch? The real advantage is going from single to multi frequency and the improvements you get beyond that will be small.

I hate all this hype now. It’s gone from poo pooing the machine before anyone had even seen the spec, to giggles and scepticism when XP did it’s launch video to full on pedestal building and frenzied excitement. I fear this much hype will lead to disappointment for many if they expect to buy one, switch it on and just start finding gold at 12”.

I hope anyone getting one knows they’ll have a long haul to get it to sing for them. I've never made any secret that I was going to get one. I know multi frequency has advantages but I won't compromise on the lightness, balance and full wireless aspects of the Deus so wouldn’t buy another make. This is my dream machine. However I’m expecting to put in a lot of hours, a dose of frustration and a willingness to mess about with it before I can relax into it and get the most from it.

Well that is if I can now get hold of one. I’ve had my name down for one since early November but it's not a guaranteed order and now everyone is clamouring for one. Undoubtedly the ebay price hikers will be in the fray now too, hoping to make a killing from those willing to pay more for early stock too.

It’s incredibly unlikely to be out before Christmas now so we’ll see, when you can buy them, if the general feeling is that it was worth it. I am pretty confident the existing Deus users will think it is, but I fear many Nox users might not be as happy. £1400 for a tiny advantage in depth and a lot of work to learn it could be a recipe for disappointment.
Yes I really don’t like Roman coins, I’m not joking
BuriedByTime&Dust

Those really loud beeps with every button press could get rather irritating! Hopefully that can be switched off.
BuriedByTime&Dust

Regardless of any comparison, that video shows that Deus II is going to hit the deep stuff.
Oxgirl

BuriedByTime&Dust wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 10:16 am Those really loud beeps with every button press could get rather irritating! Hopefully that can be switched off.
I think that’s a side effect of the RC speaker on top volume for the benefit of the video watchers. You get the same if you do similar settings with other detectors.
figgis

Oxgirl wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 10:01 am I hate all this hype now. It’s gone from poo pooing the machine before anyone had even seen the spec, to giggles and scepticism when XP did it’s launch video to full on pedestal building and frenzied excitement. I fear this much hype will lead to disappointment for many if they expect to buy one, switch it on and just start finding gold at 12”.
It was always going to happen - it always does, and the retailers will be rubbing their hands together as they quietly add to the hype. There will be the inept, the impatient, and those whose expectations extend beyond reality and shortly after launch time or lunchtime (whichever comes sooner) there will be D2s up for sale because "they don't work".

'Twas ever thus :D
mattjb

I'm not going to be splashing out any time soon after buying the deus lite but sometime in the future I might be tempted to buy a lite 2 if the mk2 keeps getting good reviews.
I'm guessing a lite version of the 2 will be around £800ish when they come out but they'll no doubt be trying to get everyone to part with their wedge for a full deus 2 and then release a lite 2 further down the line.
Oxgirl

That is the plan :thumbsup: You could save some money and just buy a new coil and headphones and use your existing stem too if you like ;)
BuriedByTime&Dust

Oxgirl wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 11:34 am That is the plan :thumbsup: You could save some money and just buy a new coil and headphones and use your existing stem too if you like ;)
I wonder when they'll start selling the bits separately :Thinking:

I found both metal sections of the Deus stem a bit short, so extended them. I'd be happy to just buy remote, WS6s and coil and use the old modified stem.