Big Roman Bronze

Dave The Slave

This came up yesterday, something totally different for moi on the old Roman front.
Not having found a Cartwheel Penny, this is by far the heaviest coin i have found.
The weight in the hand at 20grams has to be appreciated.
Octagonal shape, a good 3mm thick and approx 28mm x 26mm, one solid chunk of Bronze.
Unfortunately not much detail showing.
added some oil to enhance,
Any thoughts appreciated.
Cheers, :thumbsup:
Dave.
BuriedByTime&Dust

A sestertius by the looks of things. God knows who though!

They're a big ol' lump of brass aren't they! You certainly wouldn't want to be wandering around with a pocketful of them! :shock:
figgis

Great find, Dave :thumbsup:

Perhaps try the old pencil lead rub over to see if that'll yield any more detail.

Sestertii are often square-ish in shape - apparently some were made by cutting them off of long strips :thumbsup:
BuriedByTime&Dust

figgis wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 5:31 pm Great find, Dave :thumbsup:

Perhaps try the old pencil lead rub over to see if that'll yield any more detail.

Sestertii are often square-ish in shape - apparently some were made by cutting them off of long strips :thumbsup:
I didn't know that! :thumbsup:

They are certainly off-round mostly. I've found half a dozen of them since October, but all in pretty shoddy condition. The brass used for these doesn't seem to survive as well as the bronze coins, even in relatively mild soil.
Dave The Slave

figgis wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 5:31 pm Great find, Dave :thumbsup:

Not tried pencil rub before but here are the results,
on the reverse , not even sure which way round it should be, can anyone else see a Dove, wing raised looking left, just above 6 o`clock.
At least i appear to have my first Sestertius.
Thanks for all the replies.
Cheers, :thumbsup:
Dave.
Easylife

It does now look like a bust looking right, not seeing a dove though. :thumbsup:
D2 - 13"x11" coil - audio only.
BuriedByTime&Dust

Dave The Slave wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 6:35 pmNot tried pencil rub before but here are the results,
I think the recommendation was actually to put a piece of paper over the coin and use a pencil on that, rather than using it on the coin itself. Rather like the brass rubbings that we used to do at school :thumbsup:
Easylife

BuriedByTime&Dust wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 8:31 pm I think the recommendation was actually to put a piece of paper over the coin and use a pencil on that, rather than using it on the coin itself.
Both methods can work well. :thumbsup:
D2 - 13"x11" coil - audio only.
Oxgirl

See even the sestertius are so darn frustrating on the detail front. I will say though that finding a big round lump of bronze can give be a little bit satisfying.

Only a little bit mind ;)

Well done :thumbsup:
Yes I really don’t like Roman coins, I’m not joking