pleasant few hours

Kenleyboy

With the last rush of pre Christmas orders out and on their merry way I could finally get myself back out on the land for a well earned break . It was the first time for a long while that I could really relax knowing everything was up to date and even if I found nothing I was still going to enjoy the moment of freedom .
All week we have had thick fog and today was no exception and with the surrounding landscape shrouded in grey there came with it a cold quietness where nothing stirred , just total and utter eerie silence . With it being chilly this time I was better prepared with a new pair of boots and some glove warmers , I was determined that nothing was going to hanker my well earned time out today .
We have had little rain so the land wasnt slopping wet although a little sticky here and there so it was time to christen my new footwear and get going and hope for the best .
My first port of call was to head up to the area where I had found the flint spear head and have a good scan and see if I could spot any more in amongst the scattering of flint . Couple of signals on the way up but nothing of note , just bits of scrap but once near the flint area I had a neat little buckle which was first good find of the day . Sadly after much wandering there was no sign of any flint artifacts that caught my eye , no doubt I walked over a few but as much as I scanned the ground I could see nothing of note but it was worth a look .
With a few hours ahead of me I decided again to walk the long line where I had managed a few hammered coins recently and I would stay in this area as its a fair walk and in three or four lines I would be about done for my time out .
Surprisingly there werent that many signals for a while other than the tell tale iron and a few I dug to settle my curiosity as they had a slight squeak for want of a better word . All proved to be iron except one random button that lay close by and had that dig me tone .
Finally a good solid pitch and at last another hammered coin was extracted from its centuries old hiding place .
20211222_131117_resized[40816]hammered bust.jpg
20211222_131036_resized[40817]hammered rear.jpg
That find boosted my confidence and cheered me up no end and if I found nothing else I would have been happy with just that one coin .
Next up was a rather dark looking sixpence which at first glance I thought was a modern one pence but these are always nice to find with such bold decoration .
Surprisingly I wasnt picking up much trash , I only had two ring pulls and four buttons one being nicely decorated and a couple of shards of silver foil with two shotgun shells which were rather corroded . It was quiet but on my third and almost last line before it was time to leave I had another neat signal and with it came a tidy cut half . A little worn but again always welcome .
20211222_152601_resized[40818]cut half 1.jpg
20211222_152618_resized[40821]cut half 2.jpg
Once again this area is playing ball although it is very open and I tend not to go there too often especially as the adjoining fields of the neighbouring farm has had some recent nighthawking activity !! I have seen no evidence of that behaviour on this land but you never know but with the fog cover it was helping to a degree .
A good few hours pre Christmas .
Merry Christmas to one and all :thumbsup:
20211222_181210_resized[40822]finds cleaned .jpg
Easylife

Despite few targets a great result there. :thumbsup:
D2 - 13"x11" coil - audio only.
Blackadder43

Oooooh a good result fella :clapping:
I rarely get cut anythings round here, mind our pockets were double lined and stitched so we didnt lose our cut halves
Baler twine held it all together :lol:

What is your tally now for hammereds in that area?
Definately good traffic through there through the ages for sure
JohnDeus

A great few hours out :thumbsup:
Kenleyboy

Blackadder43 wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 9:42 pm Oooooh a good result fella :clapping:
I rarely get cut anythings round here, mind our pockets were double lined and stitched so we didnt lose our cut halves
Baler twine held it all together :lol:

What is your tally now for hammereds in that area?
Definately good traffic through there through the ages for sure
9 hammered coins so far from one particular area . Definitely a trade route :thumbsup:
Oxgirl

I am starting to hate seeing your posts as you are magnetically attracted to silver whilst I am the opposite :lol:

That cut half is interesting though - I can’t see a long or short cross on the reverse, unless I’m being blind :thumbsup:

Keep up the good work Paul. It’s really nice to see you being rewarded for all the hard work you put in.
Yes I really don’t like Roman coins, I’m not joking
Easylife

Oxgirl wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 11:20 pm That cut half is interesting though - I can’t see a long or short cross on the reverse, unless I’m being blind :thumbsup:
It looks to have obverse on both sides and one side has been double struck too, well that's a bit different! :Thinking:
D2 - 13"x11" coil - audio only.
Oxgirl

Easylife wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 11:40 pm It looks to have obverse on both sides and one side has been double struck too, well that's a bit different! :Thinking:
Actually that makes sense. Whatever is going on it isn’t a standard one :thumbsup:
Yes I really don’t like Roman coins, I’m not joking
Blackadder43

Maybe one for seperate photos and a new ID topic? :thumbsup: