Milled Silver

BuriedByTime&Dust

Just wondering how many you find?

Circulation numbers must have far exceeded those of hammered coins, yet I find more hammered than milled silver every year. Even the post 1920 debased ones seem to be pretty scarce :?
Kenleyboy

I find the odd few but not as many as you would think considering the circulation . Out of the milled coins I would say I find mostly post silver sixpences .
Blackadder43

Milled

Milled coins are those that have been produced using a mechanical press, or mill. The earliest British coins made by this method were the milled shillings et infra of Elizabeth I produced by the Frenchman Eloye Mestrelle from 1560 onwards. There were further experiments with milled coinage during the reign of Charles I by Nicholas Briot and later by Pierre Blondeau during the Commonwealth period in 1651. The coins depicting Cromwell were also struck by this method, but it wasn't until 1662 that they finally ceased to make hammered coins. All coins made since then have been struck using presses.
I suppose if we were allowed to detect all the old parks in the country then the milled tally would go up, as would beach finds if the sand wasnt so easy to be shifted, finds and all

As time goes then Hammered have lived longer, and were about in more uncertain times, so maybe easily lost from swinging purses on someone riding his horse to trade at the markets

Interesting question though :thumbsup:
Possibly its also likely that many detectorists have plenty of milled silver, but don't give it the same prestige as they do a hammered coin and only show those on forums and faceache?
Littleboot

I don't find many either. And silver was in circulation here a lot longer than in the UK. (They made large silver 50 franc pieces as late as the 70's.)
I find at least 10 times as many silver hammereds (and that is allowing for the fact that France didn't really do much small denomination silver since the mid 16th century). I think the reason is that milled coins were from an era when more people used banks. That was a limiter to how much silver coinage was actually 'out and about at any one time. Plus of course smaller denominations were no longer silver. And also banks were more efficient at bringing in the silver and replacing it. I knew a bank clerk who made a nice little side earner out of checking the siixpences for early real silver ones and swapping in nickel ones.
"The forest was shrinking, but the trees kept voting for the axe, for the axe was clever and convinced the trees that because his handle was made of wood he was one of them."
mattjb

I guess a silver milled is far less likely to be lost than a hammered when you think about it. If you drop a silver milled into grass you’ll probably find it but a cut half would be much harder to find.
My ratio this year seems to be just over 3:1 hammered silver to milled silver
Easylife

Good timing of your post as I was just doing a finds update. In the last 2 months on my pasture I have found five milled silvers, three milled silver forgeries and no hammereds. The forgeries are George III shillings and a half crown but I did find a hammered on some other land. It really just depends upon when the most activity was on the land and the above fits my pasture well though very occasionally a hammered also shows up. :thumbsup:
IMG_20211223_113218.jpg
D2 - 13"x11" coil - audio only.
Jamesey1981

I find more hammered than milled certainly.

I do wonder if a lot of them got found already, they're thicker, heavier coins than hammered ones and I know my ancient c scope would have been more likely to find those at greater depth than a hammered coin, so maybe they got found in large numbers in the 70s by people that didn't think much of it as they weren't that old.

I'd be surprised if there's much land left that's never seen a detector so we are finding what was missed, that's probably more likely to be a hammy.

Just a guess, but my c scope was a half decent machine back in the 70s and I know it wouldn't have come close to the performance of even budget machines today, and I could only swing it for a few hours without my arm feeling like it was going to fall off.
That is not dead which can eternal lie,
And with strange aeons even death may die.

I'm a Mortgage Broker, please visit my website for help with your mortgage:
https://denariusmortgages.co.uk/
figgis

Yep, milled silver is a rarity for me too.

I suppose another factor to consider is that machinery has played an increasing role in farming, meaning fewer people needed on the fields. Fewer people - fewer losses. These days one person in a tractor can do the work of what would have been dozens way back.
Easylife

The pasture gives up a few milled silvers. :D
IMG_20211223_153414.jpg
D2 - 13"x11" coil - audio only.
mattjb

Easylife wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 3:37 pm The pasture gives up a few milled silvers. :D
IMG_20211223_153414.jpg
Nice selection there! I can see a few that I’d like to find that would be firsts for me, a gothic florin and a bullhead.
Dave The Slave

Silver seems to elude me.
Only 2 Hammered over the years, 2 Denarii and around 6 Pre Decimal, only one of which is a 2 Shilling.
Massive gap between 1590 and 1890 bar a Frenchy from 1690`s.
One thing i would like is a milled with a regional mintmark.
Cheers, :thumbsup:
Dave.
Kenleyboy

These are the only milled " silver " which have come off the same field . I have had two Bullheads but kept one back and gave those and doubles of others to the Farmer . In total I think I have had about 15 milled coins over the seasons, the majority being sixpences and most of these are from one very large field . I very rarely find Vikky pennies or halfpennies from that era .
milled silver .jpg
20211223_211205[40856]milled silver .jpg
stanslad

Here’s some of the milled found over the years, most of the good ones from pasture, around a picnic area by a water mill & river
My favourites are the three William 3rd with the Y ,N & E under the bust & I like the small ones which stay in good condition.
Clint.
Attachments
7DB254C5-C41D-418E-908B-28C0798AC62A.jpeg
3370E270-17E5-4399-9459-D00CCF162C7F.jpeg
BuriedByTime&Dust

Blackadder43 wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 11:41 amI suppose if we were allowed to detect all the old parks in the country then the milled tally would go up, as would beach finds if the sand wasnt so easy to be shifted, finds and all
I found a fair number on a local park, when they first opened it up on a permit, so I suspect that you're right :thumbsup:

Even there though, the hammered coins outnumbered the milled :?
Littleboot

Jamesey1981 wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 11:50 am I find more hammered than milled certainly.

I do wonder if a lot of them got found already, they're thicker, heavier coins than hammered ones and I know my ancient c scope would have been more likely to find those at greater depth than a hammered coin, so maybe they got found in large numbers in the 70s by people that didn't think much of it as they weren't that old.

I'd be surprised if there's much land left that's never seen a detector so we are finding what was missed, that's probably more likely to be a hammy.

Just a guess, but my c scope was a half decent machine back in the 70s and I know it wouldn't have come close to the performance of even budget machines today, and I could only swing it for a few hours without my arm feeling like it was going to fall off.
I suppose that is true in many places but the fact is that all my land here is completely undetected and I still find more hammereds than milled.
"The forest was shrinking, but the trees kept voting for the axe, for the axe was clever and convinced the trees that because his handle was made of wood he was one of them."