What 3 words

Steve_JT

A must have for people detecting, if you are in the middle of a field and need emergency medical attention, or help in an emergency the What3words app is useful, and free
All the emergency services use this now and can locate you down to a 3 metre square
Only the other day a guy broke his leg out on the downs in the south, he used the app and the air ambulance was there in a very quick time.
Also if your teaming up with a buddy you can give them the what3words location and he will be able to find you if unsure of the location, the 3 words are searchable too
https://what3words.com/daring.lion.race?redirect=true

Where am I from the 3 words below? ( I’m not detecting by the way as it’s protected!)

juror.opts.legroom

Regards Steve
A foolish faith in authority, is the worst enemy of truth." Albert Einstein
Ladybird66

Can’t remember how but I know I had the 3 words for my home location ages ago.
Must admit I thought it was just a gimmick and didn’t take much notice at the time. Sounds useful, I’ll have another look :thumbsup:
Easylife

I used to have that app on my phone but it disappeared as some other apps did after several system updates. I've just re-installed it now that you have reminded me. Location needs to be enabled for it to work and it will only be as accurate as your device's GPS. It's likely the easiest way to quickly give a location. :thumbsup:
D2 - 13"x11" coil - audio only.
Blackadder43

I have never used this but can see how important it could be if detecting alone
Thanks for the heads up on this Steve.... :thumbsup:
Easylife

Blackadder43 wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:58 pm I have never used this but can see how important it could be if detecting alone.
///bull.got.me ? :rollinglaughing:
Bors

Always handy ,so I downloaded it. Thankyou :thumbsup:
Things aint cooking in my kitchen
Steve_JT

Here’s the story of the man with a broken leg I referred to
https://www.itv.com/news/meridian/2020- ... saving-app

Regards Steve
A foolish faith in authority, is the worst enemy of truth." Albert Einstein
Bors

I`m still unsure how to give my position to emergency servies if need be though. Its marking my position on my phone but what I do next If I needed to activate it I`m unclear about doing. :shock:
Easylife

Bors wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:52 pm I`m still unsure how to give my position to emergency services if need be though. Its marking my position on my phone but what I do next If I needed to activate it I`m unclear about doing. :shock:
Just tap your location on the map and it should give the three words? :Thinking:
Bors

I hope its not anything like the greeting Chubby Brown gets with three words :lol: But If I tap my location doesn`t that send anything to the E services or do I have to then do something else then. Its always a bit daunting with these things because if your not sure of proceedure you could end up with an Ambulance outside your door next minute ,. :D
DaveP

Bors, you still have to call the E service and tell them the three words.

Our motorbike club advocates it but there is always a situation where it doesn't work - if you can't communicate. We've tried all sorts of tech and ideas how to get round this point but nothing really works. There is still a lot to be said for telling someone where you are going and when you expect to be back.
Bors

Yes m8 I always do .👍
Mucky

I would just use one word... HELP! :D :Party:
Fisher 1266 X

We had issues with PAS as they published the what-three-words location attached to finds. After pressure, the W3W feature was removed from public view.
It is indeed a great British invention and in time it may become the 'norm' when trying to locate an address/location.
Grid Reference Finder converts NGR co=ordinates to W3W locations.
Mucky

Fisher 1266 X wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:32 pm We had issues with PAS as they published the what-three-words location attached to finds. After pressure, the W3W feature was removed from public view.
It is indeed a great British invention and in time it may become the 'norm' when trying to locate an address/location.
Grid Reference Finder converts NGR co=ordinates to W3W locations.
I understand what you are saying completely. The trouble is that the norm will be dependent entirely on the technology people are carrying with them, ie smartphone. I don't think many detectorists would be searching in so isolated a place as to not be able to give a six figure grid reference. A normal phone and an OS map would be adequate. If you have a handheld GPS device even better.
If I have a phone on me I switch it off. It interferes sometimes finding it's signals etc. :thumbsup: