The Great British Dig: History in Your Back Garden- Series 2.

Metalurgy

figgis wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 4:05 pm Ok, any finds you make might be out of context but surely they could be invaluable in seeing the bigger picture? I just don't see how you can dismiss them
Unfortunately I’ve noticed a certain amount of unwarranted self inflated egos among the archaeology tribes and they also tend to bitch an awful lot amongst themselves too.
It’s a noble profession but there’s too much baggage and drama.
Well I suppose there would be,given the circumstances :lol:
Easylife

I'm watching series 1 on catch up. :D
D2 - 13"x11" coil - audio only.
Oxgirl

DaveP wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 4:54 pm

However, I was able to mark the doorway to the roundhouse by using the background mineralisation noise - a reverse of normal detecting. They are there for another week or two in January and I hope to build the relationship and show what else can be achieved.
I like that - great bit of logic being used. Out of interest which direction was the entrance facing? We know by Medieval times in was SE but it isn’t in hotter European countries so be interested to know if climate change has shifted the orientation here too.
Yes I really don’t like Roman coins, I’m not joking
DaveP

This one faces South West and is considered locally typical. However, they vary a lot and there has been chapter and verse on orientation for the period yet none of it conclusive. Many face South or South East. This one is on clay with a stream about 50m away to the West. The North Weald was heavily wooded in this period so they may have had extensive shelter all around them. All a bit of a guess.
I also think the site has more than one roundhouse but the archaeologists are limited in the area they can excavate. For all we know the doorways could face each other. Looking at a few articles it seems all orientation is from an arc East to South West with a range in between My guess is that you could only really consider orientation to be precise after considering all the other local features.

Do you have a reference to the Medieval SE orientation?
Mancaveman

Watched it last night. I have to say that I throw better bits of Roman pottery away. To me it's just a poor mans Time Team. Will stick with it though, just in case they find something nice.
figgis

Mancaveman wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 2:43 pm I have to say that I throw better bits of Roman pottery away.
:o

*finger hovers over the BAN button* :lol:
bob79

figgis wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 4:54 pm :o

*finger hovers over the BAN button* :lol:
I've never been a fan of pottery, Figgis. While on a dig a few years ago with Kevin(I-Rutus) and Emily I came across a complete Victorian pork pie ink pot, gave it to Kevin.