GPS tracking anyone?

Easylife

I personally find using GPS tracking really useful especially on pasture as nothing much ever changes there, though no doubt also useful on cultivated ground to know just where you have already searched between ploughing rather than guesswork.
Here's an example of a 80m x 80m section of a pasture field which I had some great finds on. I random searched it before I thought about using GPS tracking, but I had a Garmin Etrex H in a draw doing nothing so used that to track the Deus (in orange). The Etrex H is okay for plotting tracks on Google Earth but the tracking is not so smooth. I then upgraded to the Garmin Etrex 20x which is a far better allround tool and easy to home in on any preloaded point or track. The Deus was replaced by a Nox and a lot of the same ground covered (in blue).
3.png
It is easy to spot where further finds were made, though going slow and steady with both detectors we are not comparing detectors here, ground conditions were also variable at different times.
GPS here may show that this field has been pretty well covered overall, yet it is proving that there are still a fair few more targets to be had from certain parts of it and even a few from unexpected places really. Using GPS makes it so easy to target certain areas and even fill in any missed small blanks.
I would be far more likely to grid an area with many reasonable targets than one with very few but it just depends on a few factors. Sometimes I grid, sometimes I random wander, and sometimes I do a bit of both! But over time it all just adds to the bigger picture of where I have actually searched. I only wish that I had used GPS tracking on this permission from day 1 several years ago to now highlight ground which I have never covered at all, but no worries as it will likely all still get covered eventually. Just some food for thought? :thumbsup:
D2 - 13"x11" coil - audio only.
Pete E

I have not tried it although I do have a suitable Garmin I could use...The bit I am unsure of is down loading the track (and subsequent tracks) on to a suitable map on my laptop....Also, how you would store a map for each location and then add tracks to them in the future...
Easylife

Pete E wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 12:57 am I have not tried it although I do have a suitable Garmin I could use...The bit I am unsure of is down loading the track (and subsequent tracks) on to a suitable map on my laptop....Also, how you would store a map for each location and then add tracks to them in the future...
It's quite easy, use Garmin Basecamp to accumulate GPS data on a Windows PC, it also acts as a back up too. Just connect your GPS and click 'Recieve from GPS' then you have all of your tracks and any find spots etc saved and viewable together which can then easily be edited if you wish. Though I personally then transfer them to Google Earth for better viewing, and it also gives you a better choice of how to manage them, like in folders for each permission if you wish.
That is pretty much it, but some people choose to load data for say a particular permission each time as a device can get bogged down with too many tracks but I just create an image overlay file of them all every so often and install that as it is much more data efficient and performs much faster by comparison especially when you have a few years worth of tracks! The image file is also customisable for colours of tracks, field boudaries, features, finds, etc. But you won't need to worry about that for a while.
Which Garmin GPS unit do you have? Normally after each search session save the current track, then clear the current track data when starting the next search session. Otherwise they all join together including your journey back home when you forget to switch it off! :lol:
If anybody wants a more detailed walkthrough of any of this then feel free to ask. :thumbsup:
figgis

I have a tracking app but never use it. I can see where it's useful in seeing where you've been but even if the entire field has been covered it doesn't mean you've "done" it because you could have walked over some great finds and missed them due to poor technique/ground conditions etc.

I only use gps for getting precise find spots for recordable finds these days.
Oxgirl

I used to track myself but it became a pain so I stopped. I wish I had tracked myself on my favourite field though as I’m sure I’ve missed some areas!

Interesting post :thumbsup:
Yes I really don’t like Roman coins, I’m not joking
Easylife

Oxgirl wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 12:49 am I used to track myself but it became a pain so I stopped. I wish I had tracked myself on my favourite field though as I’m sure I’ve missed some areas!

Interesting post :thumbsup:
It will be well worth using tracking when you go over it all again with the Deus 2 as there no doubt will be a lot more to find. :thumbsup: