When imagination gets the better of you

DaveP

I've been in the house long enough. I've ordered new valves for the kitchen tap after working out which of the 57 varieties I need. I've sorted out some other bits and yet I still press my nose on the window looking out at the rain. Remember as a kid those wet Sunday afternoons with only 3 TV channels and nothing to do.
"I'm off to get some tyres for the front of the Shogun....won't be long".
"Are you sure they're open"
"Why wouldn't they be?"
"it's another bank holiday - a double one."
"BUGGER!" ..... hmmm..looks like the rain has stopped, let's check the forecast.....I can be on the permission by 2pm..."see you later, heading over to the Manor for a mooch about. Won't be long" and I'm out the door like a scolded cat.

I get to the permission and end up talking to a couple of the game keepers. I park up in the field and then as I'm getting my gear on a couple of walkers stop to chat. Turns out they were originally from our village and knew one of the neighbours. Time just flies by and I'm conscious of the light.

Now imagine the field. It's about 30 acres of pasture. It has a flat top area which slopes gently down to a line of trees. On the other side of the trees is the field where I've been detecting the Iron Age roundhouse site. With about an hour and a half before it's too dark I try the high, flat area. Signals are few and far between except for my favourite find buttons! As the light drops I set a line for a route that will take me back to the car. Almost at the end I get a one-way 23 on the Nox. The absence of a 2 way is troubling but the one-way won't let me walk on by. "Let's take the top off and have another scan" I say to myself. 8" deep plug and the 23 is still there and now the 2-way has started in. Check in all metal and no obvious iron tone or numbers. Dig a bit deeper, ~12", and the signal just gets better. Now it's either a case of too many home made, booze laden mince pies or the button gods are getting their own back, but logic goes out of the window.
"Suppose this flat area, which convincingly overlooks the roundhouse site, was used for something else...perhaps a site of worship. Or maybe it's a bronze axe or....or.." The hole gets deeper and, the Garrett pinpointer starts playing up. "Bugger, I really need it now". Back to the car for a battery and all is well.

The hole gets deeper and the pinpointer signal stronger. A re-check with the Nox and it's still 23. And then ..............the tell-tale scrape of iron. "@£$%$".
"But wait, maybe there's something inside the iron. Maybe something's been hidden ...it won't hurt to find out" .. I dig a little deeper to expose part of the iron. It has a curved surface and I think it's a pipe but it's the wrong place in the field. It's certainly round and elongated.

"Hmmm...." imagination time number 2. The adjacent field is called "Searchlight" as it had a searchlight and mock canvas buildings to direct enemy bombers away from the local airfield and train line.

Now I think, "it's probably only a galvanised water pipe but do I really need to know". "`Doesn't look like ordnance but it is getting dark and ...maybe..... it's time to fill in the hole"

And there you have it. From Iron Age votive offering to BA axe to WWII best left alone and all nothing of the sort :lol: :lol: I think

And this was at the bottom just over 2' down:
IMG_3684.jpg
figgis

:lol: Cracking write up and I'm sure we've all been there in one way or another :thumbsup:
Blackadder43

That made me laugh, probably wrong to laugh but i can relate to the tap scenario (and i'm an ex plumber, ended up just buying new taps :lol: )
And i have had to check the calendar twice today to see what day it is :ugeek:

Thats some deep hole though :shock:

As for whats down there?
To me it looks like an iron age person made a tubular storage thingy for his familys riches :ugeek:
Best left where it is fella :thumbsup:
DaveP

Blackadder43 wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 6:13 pm That made me laugh, probably wrong to laugh but i can relate to the tap scenario (and i'm an ex plumber, ended up just buying new taps :lol: )
I did that last time.
I'm hoping what I ordered fits but this lot https://www.tapmagician.co.uk seem to have it sorted. But you will need digital callipers to get the right part as they can differ by just one millimetre.

And no worries about laughing as looking back on it made me chuckle.
Oxgirl

I will never find a big hoard I fear as I can’t be bothered to go that deep. It could have been something good though. Maybe it still is? :D

P.S. great write up :Star:
Yes I really don’t like Roman coins, I’m not joking
DaveP

Oxgirl wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 6:49 pm I will never find a big hoard I fear as I can’t be bothered to go that deep.
Deus II .... just saying :lol:
Littleboot

Lol. Yes I think we can relate. Its the voice in your head which tells you that maybe it is 'something' and then of course you have to dig it. And after a while you have dug so far you feel you may as well carry on. In my neck of the woods (Normandy) I have to be careful with digging if it looks like yours. Banging signals can easily turn out to be...well. banging. :lol:
"The forest was shrinking, but the trees kept voting for the axe, for the axe was clever and convinced the trees that because his handle was made of wood he was one of them."
JohnDeus

WOW that is deep i cannot be bothered to dig anything more than 10 inches deep :lol:
Easylife

If something is that deep in the ground then it was most likely put there by man rather than sinking. So you cannot fill the hole in until you know what it is. Then there is the question to ponder of why it is that deep? :D
I found an iron sheet at 20" yesterday with an old roof tile next to it. Maybe sometimes a bit of a pit was dug to put rubble and stuff into and then backfilled so that it was below the ploughline? :Thinking:
D2 - 13"x11" coil - audio only.
DaveP

Easylife wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 9:11 pm If something is that deep in the ground then it was most likely put there by man rather than sinking. So you cannot fill the hole in until you know what it is. Then there is the question to ponder of why it is that deep? :D
In the back of my mind was whether it fell from a great height. At that point I thought, perhaps I really don't want to know! :D

It's probably part of an old mole or scaffold pipe but I won't be making a point of finding out.
Easylife

DaveP wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 9:20 pm It's probably part of an old mole or scaffold pipe but I won't be making a point of finding out.
Yeah, probably just an old chariot spindle anyway! :lol:
D2 - 13"x11" coil - audio only.
Reiver

Great write up !
Yep ! been there many a time.
:thumbsup:
DaveP

Imagination now meets reality. Nearly 100 years ago the Manor had no mains water and they put in a new galvanised water pipe right across the farm and over this raised section of land - must be close to a half mile. What's left of the pipe, as it has been hit by subsoilers a few times and is now a mix of the the original pipe and blue pipe, is said to be heavily galvanised and good quality. That probably accounts for the Nox seeing 23 all the time no matter how far I dug.

Oh well, one day it will be a BA axe :D