Bronze Age sword fragment??

Dave The Slave

Well done on your Bronze Age finds.
Part of a sword would be brilliant.
If you have 3 or more B/A from the same area, FLO will report it as potential Treasure, Pre Historic metal.
I had 3 pieces inc casting waste from 60m x 30m, which is now going thru the process , Coroner next stage.
Well Found :thumbsup:
Dave.
shaggybfc

Steve_JT wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:45 pm I wonder if you may have come across a founders hoard, or part of it, hopefully you may find some more pieces

Regards Steve
Thanks Steve. :thumbsup: They were separated by about 400m, so it’d have to be a well scattered hoard :lol:
Always carefully proof-read what you've typed to see if you've any words out.
Deus with 11" X35 and 9" HF coils. MI 6 pinpointer.
Dave The Slave

shaggybfc wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:23 am Thanks Steve. :thumbsup: They were separated by about 400m, so it’d have to be a well scattered hoard :lol:
My FLO classed a scattered hoard as 3 from an area of 100m x 100m.
Dave. :thumbsup:
Pete E

Dave The Slave wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:22 am Well done on your Bronze Age finds.
Part of a sword would be brilliant.
If you have 3 or more B/A from the same area, FLO will report it as potential Treasure, Pre Historic metal.
I had 3 pieces inc casting waste from 60m x 30m, which is now going thru the process , Coroner next stage.
Well Found :thumbsup:
Dave.
Doesn't any BA metal end up going through the Treasure process as pre historic metal or does it have to be more than one piece ie a "hoard"?
TerraBritannia

It doesn't seem to be the case Peter.

When I found two parts of the same BA Rapier, my FLO was more interested in when it was broken, as that would have a bearing on the possibility of it being classed as treasure.

Received in an email.
Do you have any images of the breaks to the ends of each fragment? The wear on the breaks would help us to determine if the object was broken as a result of being in the ground or prior to its deposition. If the latter there is a chance the object may fall under the remit of the Treasure Act 1996: https://finds.org.uk/treasure.
TerraBritannia [previously known as TerraEnglandia] but Andy is my real name.
https://www.youtube.com/TerraBritannia
Minelab Equinox 800
Pete E

TerraEnglandia wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 2:32 pm It doesn't seem to be the case Peter.

When I found two parts of the same BA Rapier, my FLO was more interested in when it was broken, as that would have a bearing on the possibility of it being classed as treasure.

Received in an email.
Cheers Andy,

I wasn't sure and I confess I find some of the detail of the Treasure Act a bit confusing..

As I report anything I suspect over 300 years to my FLO, my intension is to rely on her to advise if the items falls under the Treasure Act....
Regards

Peter
Oxgirl

shaggybfc wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:06 pm And another bronze item. To me it looks like it could be a fragment of a spear. It has the raise ‘bump’ running down the centre and is tapered with a cutting edge on both sides.
What threw me on this was it seems to have a void in the middle like it was hollow. There looks to be another fragment pushed into the void, but it’s tight and I’ve not put any pressure on to remove it.can be seen on the last picture (it’s not the back of the item)
Any thoughts on this one?
Thanks
Think this might be a scabbard chape like this one https://finds.org.uk/database/artefacts ... /id/648676

There are others too - check these other bronze age examples too... https://finds.org.uk/database/search/re ... BRONZE+AGE
Yes I really don’t like Roman coins, I’m not joking