PAS Self recording

figgis

Anyone else doing this? Or thought about doing it? Personally I find it so rewarding and having to describe your item accurately makes you look at it harder and invariably see detail you might otherwise have missed. And you learn so much about all sorts of finds and the periods they came from.

PAS funding faces an uncertain future and at the moment there are no courses available for volunteers to go on as they've been cut, but if anyone here needs a leg up on any aspect of self recording which would have been covered on a course that some of us might have been on then perhaps we can pool resources and sort it out for you here.

I'm far from being an expert but have recorded a fair few and might have an answer or two. The more of us the better, so speak up :D :thumbsup:
Oxgirl

I missed the explorers training programme but can self record. A training day was set up and then cancelled because of that darn pandemic. I will start this year though, looking forward to it :thumbsup:
Yes I really don’t like Roman coins, I’m not joking
Easylife

I think I'll end up self recording, was asked a few times by my FLO if I wanted to. :Thinking:
So when you submit it, does your FLO need to approve it before it is published on PAS?
D2 - 13"x11" coil - audio only.
Mucky

There is always the UKDFD as well. :thumbsup:
figgis

Yes, Ian. You do the record, press a few buttons and it's sent to your FLO who will look it over. At this stage it's under review. They may make some changes, for instance if they want to edit something or add a reference, or email you for clarification on something, and then if happy will promote it from a red flag (under review) to an amber flag (awaiting validation). To get to the "published" (green flag) status it has to be agreed by one of the Finds Advisors at the BM.
figgis

Oxgirl wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:59 pm I missed the explorers training programme but can self record. A training day was set up and then cancelled because of that darn pandemic. I will start this year though, looking forward to it :thumbsup:
Hopefully the course will still be available, Cath, but the last I heard the cutbacks included training courses :thumbdown: I was invited onto one recently but it was only for FLOs and "prolific" self-recorders. They really are trimming things down, it seems, though hopefully that will change.
figgis

Mucky wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:19 pm There is always the UKDFD as well. :thumbsup:
True, Mucky :thumbsup: But you have to have a subscription to access/record. I've often wondered - what (if any) is the relationship between UKDFD and the PAS? Or are they mutually exclusive?
TerraBritannia

Some info here regarding the PAS. https://finds.org.uk/documents/guide.pdf
TerraBritannia [previously known as TerraEnglandia] but Andy is my real name.
https://www.youtube.com/TerraBritannia
Minelab Equinox 800
Steve_JT

You can upload the info, pictures and view Under the heading as
“Finds recorded by Me”
You can edit them too, even delete.

Once they have seen them, edited to add any details they may be available once they see them in the flesh, most are viewable in the public domain
They can tell a lot from good images so you will often see experts add there name identified by, if you have ID spot on add your name to identified by

What you see (find spot) is only exact location to you
I give all details and elect to just show “Parish” where found, or withhold all, details are then only viewable by the museum

I try to use the descriptions from finds recorded to get the same terms
You will get the hang of it

I think there’s a sort of probationary period to see if your doing ok, you have to promise to be a good boy! That was I was asked

I thinks that’s how I remember it

You’ll soon get into the swing of it :thumbsup:

Regards Steve
A foolish faith in authority, is the worst enemy of truth." Albert Einstein
figgis

TerraEnglandia wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:29 pm Some info here regarding the PAS. https://finds.org.uk/documents/guide.pdf
The bible, Andy :thumbsup: (well, one of them :D )
Steve_JT wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:29 pm
They can tell a lot from good images so you will often see experts add there name identified by, if you have ID spot on add your name to identified byRegards Steve
And don't that give you one hell of a buzz, Steve?
Steve_JT wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:29 pm I try to use the descriptions from finds recorded to get the same terms
Spot on, and a further tip is to narrow your search down to the recording institute (your FLO's county) so you can word things as they like. You can always copy an entire record and paste it into your own but you have to be careful!
Steve_JT wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:29 pm You’ll soon get into the swing of it :thumbsup:
Yes, you will. Navigating the database can seem daunting at first (especially the numismatic data :shock: ) but it's all common sense and all you have to do is get into the swing of the way they like things done and it soon becomes second nature. :thumbsup:
TerraBritannia

I just tried clicking the + Add Artifact button, but I'm not worthy. :Thinking:
Precondition Failed: 412
You cannot record objects
TerraBritannia [previously known as TerraEnglandia] but Andy is my real name.
https://www.youtube.com/TerraBritannia
Minelab Equinox 800
figgis

Andy, your PAS account has to be altered by your FLO to enable recording, so if you'd like to start doing it you need to have speaks with them :thumbsup:
Steve_JT

If I remember correctly the FLO asked for your login info, they send that to PAS head office, they then send an authentication key
by email with info how to proceed

Regards Steve
A foolish faith in authority, is the worst enemy of truth." Albert Einstein
Oxgirl

figgis wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:25 pm Hopefully the course will still be available, Cath, but the last I heard the cutbacks included training courses :thumbdown: I was invited onto one recently but it was only for FLOs and "prolific" self-recorders. They really are trimming things down, it seems, though hopefully that will change.
It was being done by the FLO when he was going to train me and a few interns from Oxford Uni. In return I had to promise to volunteer to research and help out with recording of other people’s items :D
Yes I really don’t like Roman coins, I’m not joking
figgis

If it's still on, Cath, grab it with both hands as it's not (for now at least) generally available :thumbsup: