First impressions?

Easylife

Ain't it funny how you can first detect on a field and at the end of the day feel that you never ever want to go back there again. But the the next day, after sleeping on it and thinking about it, your outlook often warms more to it. And the day after you are quite up for it again? I think that is just your feeling and mood at the time which can often be quite changeable? First impressions of a field can often be quite misleading and later realized that you should have maybe given it a fair go rather than just make hasty assumptions based on the small fraction of it that you have initially searched. :Thinking:
Gee, that sounds like a proverb out of a Chinese cracker! :lol:
D2 - 13"x11" coil - audio only.
Paint

Just had a first impression on 85 acres of fields and have been put off already and only done a hour it looks like they are covered in green waste :thumbdown: should I go back and give them another chance?
Daz2110

Paint wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 6:25 am Just had a first impression on 85 acres of fields and have been put off already and only done a hour it looks like they are covered in green waste :thumbdown: should I go back and give them another chance?
🤔 This is a difficult one. I'd probably say yes, try different areas of the permission. You've got nothing to lose.
HolzHammer

i often get that feeling as I rarely have success on a field the first time i hit it... funnily enough i don't think my first impressions of people are that good either!!!!
Oxgirl

On fields I make myself always go back, even on contaminated green waste ones (in case it’s not everywhere). The best fields rarely reveal themselves straight away in my experience :thumbsup:
Yes I really don’t like Roman coins, I’m not joking
Bors

I usually find fields which I detect on and find next to nothing ,and go again soon after and still find nothing . Thats the Norm up this way. :lol:
The detectorists down South don`t know their born when they can go onto fields on a sort of reasonable regular basis and pull out Staters sceats, Anular brooches ,or Saxon brooches . They just arn`t up this way to find. So when you pull out your next Stater or Sceat ,etc etc ,and think "oh! its ANOTHER stater or sceat or brooch", just try not to get too bored about it . :D
Things aint cooking in my kitchen
Rah7265

There’s a farm I keep going back too (probably about 50 hours over 10 trips) telling myself it’s there somewhere I’ve just got to find it. There is a Bronze Age site on the farm, the farm dates back to the Doomsday book the owner tells me it once belonged to Fountains Abbey so everything looks good, right, No so far I’ve found nothing older than Victorian.
I’m not giving up yet but I am getting a bit despondent with this area.
Littleboot

Fields are like places in general...sometimes you go on them and just don't like their vibe. I have fields that don't appear to have much on them but I quite enjoy doing anyway.....sooner or later something really good turns up and I know why I was called back to it. Other fields don't appeal at all and/or I feel uncomfortable. It may be the way they catch the wind, or the way they have some brooding feeling over them or whatever. Thing is, the fields that are sheltered, catch the sunshine, are also ones that would have appealed to other people too.
If I find myself in a spot which has a cold edge to it, which seems windswept or bleak then I know it is likely to have no occupation. If I don't want to linger then its a reasonable assumption that people back in the day wouldn't either. And of course, the higher status buildings etc...the ones with the better finds....would be built in the prime locations.

That said, I never discount a field after one or two visits. It could just be my mood, if I am tired or hassled. It could also be the ground conditions. I can think of two fields very local to me which I ended up doing again because it was the only land available without crops....and both turned up really special finds.

Green-waste....oh yes there is green-waste here as well. I know there are finds in the field as well as trash...the real finds haven't gone away because the GW has joined them. But I have to establish what the strike-rate is. In other words...how often I dig holes and how many of them end up genuine targets. I have one or two areas where I know there is good stuff and it is worth the effort. Others are big old fields where less than one in 50 holes dug with produce anything whatsoever. So even though there might be a Merovingian ring/ roman seal-box/ brooch etc etc in there somewhere. :) ...it really isn't the best use of the time when fields are available with better returns. Plus, I really really do need to be in the mood and greenwaste is something which is best done in small doses. (It can actually be quite bad for your detecting 'ears' and knock off your judgement when you get back on clean fields.)
Live long and prosper.
Easylife

Paint wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 6:25 am Just had a first impression on 85 acres of fields and have been put off already and only done a hour it looks like they are covered in green waste :thumbdown: should I go back and give them another chance?
I have a 30 acre field that is pretty bad with gw, but usually find that towards the field edges it is not so bad at all, so maybe an idea to search there first. :Thinking:
D2 - 13"x11" coil - audio only.