Turned out nice

figgis

What ho,

Found in one of the attics (not the one where mad cousin Pitchblighter rants and dribbles his time away) this case was in a sorry state with peeling varnish over tasteless woodstain, scratched and broken perspex ,and a knackered, threadbare green baize base. Like Great Aunt, someone must have loved it once but it was now much in need of smartening up.

So, with a bit of sandpaper, batten for shelving, replacement perspex, new red felt and some spray glue, Jenks transformed it into this:
cab 1.jpg
Cab 2.jpg
This is the "after" pic. The confounded idiot neglected to take one "before" but it's not a bad effort, I feel. So, the finds can come out of their drawers (as cousin Sophie is also prone to do on a regrettably regular basis, so I'm told) and into the light where they can be appreciated.

Pip pip
Bigtim1973

That looks great
I am surprised this thread hasn't taken off.

Great topic!!
I use the XP ORX and XP Deus Metal Detectors.
Blackadder43

Wait, this thread was started way back in 2020 and had no replies?
Did you shower that week John?

Great transformation and love it when folk revitalise old things they find and make good use of them

Bet there are a few more finds in there by now though :ugeek:
Metalurgy

I like the simple design,so much so that I may attempt a copy or two. 👍
Roughwood

This has given me some inspiration - thank you!
Oxgirl

If I try and grind my rusty old brain into gear I think this topic wouldn’t have had many replies because many of us had already commented on another forum on a topic there on this very beautiful display cabinet. I remember only because a lot of us got distracted by the lovely wooden chest below it and were planning to go round and steal it (or was that just me on the stealing bit? ;) ). Obviously many of you new(er) members weren’t party to that and the oldies may have forgotten :lol:

It does appear very rude now though. Glad the topic has been revived :thumbsup: . John is a very clever wood man and, when not making and/ or consuming gin, produces beautiful work, wether it’s a big roof, a historic barn renovation or something smaller. There’s a topic somewhere on his glass topped coffee table display too that’s worth a look :D
Yes I really don’t like Roman coins, I’m not joking
figgis

:oops: Many thanks, all :thumbsup:

Cath's probably right - this was featured in another place not long before we started this one so will have been old hat. But no worries - I got over the trauma of being ignored and am due off the meds soon :lol:
Blackadder43 wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 9:26 am Wait, this thread was started way back in 2020 and had no replies?
Did you shower that week John?
I think I had one sometime in late summer, but I'll have to check my records :thumbsup:
figgis

Blackadder43 wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 9:26 am Bet there are a few more finds in there by now though :ugeek:
I've split the displays up into Saxon/medieval in the cabinet and Roman in the coffee table tray, though I need to make another couple for the coins and pottery as I've run out of room and there's loads more stuff to go in.
Attachments
Roman.jpg
Saxon & Medieval.jpg
Dave The Slave

Could not figure out , why i had not seen or replied back to this and then saw the date. Must have been one of the inaugral posts and i joined 6 days later.
Looks good John and no doubt you have added a few more recently found artifacts to display in there.
Cheers, :thumbsup:
Dave.