Back on the Beach

Dave The Slave

Since reacquainting ourselves on here, yesterday morning was the first time out detecting.
Hit the beach at 5am,virtually light, the tide was out but I stay on the dry sand.
Already another detectorist where I had planned to start, so walked up to the next groyne, which was going to be an amble up to my 2nd choice location.
Sea was dead calm, couple of paddle boarders, had come from the harbour up the coast,. Still 3 liners anchored in the bay.
First coin after 5 mins, 20p that had been there for some time, they come in at 77 on the 400i, which was set to my inland settings of Custom Mode, Discrim below 60 and 2 off Max sensitivity. After detecting my way to the destination had managed 5 coins in the 1st hour but that was only 82p. Gridded the area I wanted to, just rubbish.
Has been rubbish the past few occasions but until a couple of years back, had always been a good spot. The sand had lots of barbecue coals on it which you could still smell.
The Council beach cleaning tractor was making its way towards me, groyne by groyne. For some reason I would feel guilty about trapesing over an area they had just prepared, although that`s what the holiday makers would be doing in a couple of hours.
Made my way into the next section, which has been good in the past, couple of coins but now the tractor has caught up. He does a circuit or 2, I know I will have to move on shortly. He stops at the other end of the section facing me, is he on the phone or watching me , perhaps having a cuppa. Starting to feel like Dennis Weaver in Duel. Strangely enough Weaver had starred in one of my favourite films, also containing duel, Duel at Diablo, what a great and diversified cast.. Tractor starts moving and it`s time to relocate.
Just another amble up towards another 2 sections, after all I`ve got to walk back, already a mile from the car and the temperatures will be rising even at 7.30am.
Find a very slim junk ring, came in with an 82, just silvery over copper when checked.
Decide to head back to car and then I score a hat trick, 3 pound coins in 3 signals, pocket spill. Happy with that, few meters away, another triple although this time just the 2 pound coins plus a 20p. Quick grid of those areas nothing else but a new area for future searches, although quite a trek.
On doing the sums 7 pound 20p, best this year.
virtually every beach trip, you find a zip puller.
Cheers all, :thumbsup:
Dave.
Chrisb

Nice little haul! That’ll help pay for a couple of spare batteries. I’ve never detected on a beach, I’m guessing it’s pretty easy to dig?
Dave The Slave

Chrisb wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 3:05 pm Nice little haul! That’ll help pay for a couple of spare batteries. I’ve never detected on a beach, I’m guessing it’s pretty easy to dig?
Very easy in this location. Sand is like that in a timer. Just use a plastic spade, waft the detector over the spade of sand, when object is out.
Cheers,
Funny enough batteries had gone as low as 50%. If I get a couple of quid , covers petrol.
Dave.
Blackadder43

I really must make an effort on the beach as i'm 5 minutes walk from it
Problem is our beach is mainly dangerous mud, which has a decieving covering of sand in places
Only yesterday another car sank into the mud and the extremely fast tide swallowed it up
We must get a dozen cars lost per year, despite signs everywhere warning folk....

We have 1 part as a slipway that in the victorian times had the steamers pull up too

In my younger days i searched the beach a lot and had plenty of thrupenny bits, plus the silver coins of the era
Never found any gold though on the beach :roll:

Nice haul though Dave and a :Star: for dragging yourself out of bed at that unearthly hour of the day :lol:
figgis

Nothing like an early start is there, Dave? So calm, quiet and peaceful :thumbsup:

A few bob to put in the sky rocket, too - what more could you ask?
Littleboot

That sounds like a fun day! Its always fun to dig up spendable. When me and Pete used to do the beach regularly we would have a little competition to find the most loose change. Strange to say the 'winner' always ended up buying the drinks. :lol: That was also a beach with dry sand and we did the old waft over the plastic spade routine. We got out of the habit when we have the GMP's as they were dreadful/ unusable on the sand. Now we have more beach-friendly kit again we must make an effort to get back out there because it is great fun. The beaches in my part of Normandy are not landing beaches and they have the added bonus of having very little rubbish.
I love how you collect the bottle caps....are you planning to do anything with them, creative-wise?
"The forest was shrinking, but the trees kept voting for the axe, for the axe was clever and convinced the trees that because his handle was made of wood he was one of them."
Littleboot

https://www.countryliving.com/diy-craft ... s/?slide=1

I enjoyed scrolling across this gallery of bottle-cap ideas from the USA. I love the wind-chime idea and the map of the USA was great as well....I suppose a similar one could be created for the UK, with the caps places in suitable locations (Newcastle Brown) , Lots of options. I have seen Dave post up the bottle caps as he is it is important to him to show the true reflection of his dig....and I have been struck by how attractive and eye-catching the bottle caps were and the sheer variety of colours and brands. :idea: :thumbsup:
"The forest was shrinking, but the trees kept voting for the axe, for the axe was clever and convinced the trees that because his handle was made of wood he was one of them."
Dave The Slave

Littleboot wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 8:53 am https://www.countryliving.com/diy-craft ... s/?slide=1

I enjoyed scrolling across this gallery of bottle-cap ideas from the USA. I love the wind-chime idea and the map of the USA was great as well....I suppose a similar one could be created for the UK, with the caps places in suitable locations (Newcastle Brown) , Lots of options. I have seen Dave post up the bottle caps as he is it is important to him to show the true reflection of his dig....and I have been struck by how attractive and eye-catching the bottle caps were and the sheer variety of colours and brands. :idea: :thumbsup:
That is a very interesting link, Jan.
Paricularly like the Geometric wall art, very 70`s but back in.
Don`t actually collect the tops, although I probably should, Carlsberg `75. Must have had over a 100 designs and I do find several hundred over a season They do all go in the recycling bin. Just my way of clearing up and showing the realities. This may open some possibilities.
Perhaps a detecting shop , could launch a recycling initiative. Send in 1000 bottle tops and get a free Nox, would settle for a 600. Bit of publicity for the shop, Brand and also some Education on the unseen litter of the throwaway society..
Cheers, ( bottle top in recycling bin) :thumbsup:
Dave.