Electrolysis - Vespasian Fouree

figgis

The FLO thought this coin may have been fire damaged and as you can see from the "before" pics it was in a right sorry state. Figuring I had nothing to lose (even though it is a "denarius") I decided to try to get rid of the gunk stuck fast to it and got Jenkins to give it a zap (well, I wasn't going to take the blame if it all went pear-shaped).
vesp uncleaned obverse.jpg
vesp uncleaned reverse.jpg
A couple of two-minute sessions didn't do much so it was given several five-minute blasts and the muck at last started to come off.

Good decision to zap it, I think: the obverse now shows the bust and some legend while the reverse, which had been recorded as "completely illegible", now clearly shows a captive Jewess seated beneath what's left of a trophy of arms and with a portion of IUDAEA discernable in exergue.
vesp cleaned obverse.gif
vesp cleaned reverse.jpg
There's a degree of understandable reluctance to apply this sort of treatment to finds but in this case it's worked well and Jenks avoided a(nother) sound thrashing. Ok, it's still in a sorry state but at least we've pinpointed exactly what it is that's in such a sorry state.

Pip pip :thumbsup:
Pete E

Sorry to be a bit thick, but is the coin silver?

Also what do you use as an electrolyte?

I zapped a recent William 4th three pence and I added a touch of washing up liquid to the salt water I was using as electrolyte and the coin really came up a treat...In fact it came up so good the farmer wanted it! :roll:
Easylife

Well with nothing to lose it's now identifiable. :thumbsup:
D2 - 13"x11" coil - audio only.
figgis

Pete E wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:32 pm Sorry to be a bit thick, but is the coin silver?

Also what do you use as an electrolyte?

I zapped a recent William 4th three pence and I added a touch of washing up liquid to the salt water I was using as electrolyte and the coin really came up a treat...In fact it came up so good the farmer wanted it! :roll:
Although it's barely worthy of the name, yes Pete - it has a silver plating over base metal core.

I used salt as an electrolyte. I know it chucks up nasty gasses but I've tried bicarb of soda and that didn't work as well. In fact it turned the coin blue :shock:

Washing up liquid in the mix, eh? Interesting and maybe worth a shot. What effect does it have, Pete?
Bors

Things aint cooking in my kitchen
Pete E

figgis wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:36 am Washing up liquid in the mix, eh? Interesting and maybe worth a shot. What effect does it have, Pete?
Thanks fo that...

Re the washing up liquid, it seemed to help remove some of the crude but as I say I have only tried it once, so might be imagining it. It certainly did no harm and did stop that thick layer of scum forming on the surface of the water if nothing else...
Pete E

Bors wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 7:28 am Best info on Electrolysis>>> https://www.metaldetectingworld.com/cle ... ysis.shtml
Cheers Pete, will have a read of that when I get a minute... :thumbsup: