Not Just Equinox, Understanding Gold...

I-Rutus

As the Detecting Hub attracts new members, amongst them will be a scattering of new detectorists, new to detecting, or new to the Nox. But one thing we all have in common is the hope of maybe finding gold.

Gold is an intriguing metal, and may not behave like you think it should, so watch this video, then watch it again, and look at what the machine is telling you, and ignor low numbers at your peril, I can assure you others on the field won't!

Blackadder43

This message in this video actually extends to a lot more machines than just the nox

There are loads of machines on the market that have the "Notch" feature
This is a setting where you can notch out certain "finds"

Some of the things you can "Notch" out are:
Foil
Pulltabs

This video shows you exactly why you should never "Notch" anything out, ever
I know the Nox doesnt have the notch feature, but people do try to set their machine up to only find certain items, but by notching out unwelcome items you wont actually find any of your wanted items either

Thanks for posting this Kevin, and its refreshing to find one of our cousins across the pond that sees that you should not hunt by numbers alone, more so in the UK... :thumbsup:
Oxgirl

I had the pleasure of holding the tiniest gold celtic unit on a dig a couple of years ago. The guy had used a Deus and told me it came in mid 40s on the Deus but with a lovely ‘dig me’ signal. Mid 40s is usually tin foil or rubbish but it certainly wasn’t in this case!
I took note, I hope others take your advice too Kevin because it’s an important point rarely discussed :thumbsup:
Yes I really don’t like Roman coins, I’m not joking
Saffron

Unsurprisingly I have not found gold with the Nox :thumbdown:

However, I was asked to try and find a gold ring when I was using the Makro / Nokta Racer 2 and another user kindly did some testing and found that gold rings came in at about 38.
Yet while on a rally a bit after I was talking to a very experienced user that had been involved in the testing of the machine and he warned me that it could come in as low as single figures :o

So it just shows that on any machine gold can come in at surprisingly low numbers. A perfect reason to dig all positive numbers in the vast bulk of cases, (accepting that with experience and knowing your permission there are some cases where you might risk ignoring low positive numbers).

Going by the TID numbers and only digging selected numbers is an excellent way to "coin shoot" if you are only looking for modern coins, but for all other types of detecting is not a good option.

Evan
Easylife

Blackadder43 wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:50 pm This video shows you exactly why you should never "Notch" anything out, ever,......but by notching out unwelcome items you won't actually find some of your wanted items either.
I never notch anything out but it is also as easy to just ignore certain numbers if you chose to. But it kind of depends on the ground as to which targets you ignore. On say a real trashy field many would likely be a bit picky, but on a real quiet field with few targets then you may as well dig everything that is not definitely iron. I found a tiny Georgian gold fob ring that has a TID of just 1 on the Nox. Also I had a Tudor gold pin head that gave a similar very low reading and that was amongst iron. It is a seemingly odd phenomena how a gold linked bracelet can read so low but then detector sees the link size.
Blackadder43 wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:50 pm I know the Nox doesn't have the notch feature.
Not specifically as such, but you can still knock out any segments if you wish, though usually better to add than remove.
D2 - 13"x11" coil - audio only.
Littleboot

Good topic. I think the ease in finding silver...which is sweet on any machine....is part of what can lead people to assume that gold will be a similar situation but just a bit lower tone etc.
Any notching is always going to be an extremely risky business anywhere...but particularly in the Old World. So don't. No matter how many pull tabs and bottle foil or shotties you encounter.....don't notch them out. Dig them, or if you feel you must then make individual judgements on each target (risky) but don't leave the decision to the machine by notching such things out.
I have done quite well for gold over the years...especially considering I have never done much on the beach. I put that success down to being open to digging and keeping my machines as open as possible and not making assumptions.
I have been lucky enough to find several gold hammies over the years, though only one gold/electrum stater. But each was a signal which was liable to be ignored because the differences to iron/trash were subtle at best. And, as a couple of these coins were found on previously well-searched trashy areas of occupation, clearly they were ignored or masked previously.
The stater, by dint of it being gold with a high silver content, was a fluctuating tone between high and medium (on the GMP) and sounded extremely similar to bullet casings I had dug nearby. Just a slight variation in character of the tones, plus the fact that I was sheltering under the hedge from the rain :lol: , made me dig it.
The most recent gold hammy I found was found with the Nox. It was a gruff mid-tone. It rang in at 13. (I had tested my other ones already and they rang in at 13 as well.) These are full Noble size and above so you have to think that smaller goldies will be lower than that. Also, bear in mind that gold hammered coins are liable to be bent a lot so the signal in that case will fluctuate a good deal more than for a coin that is in near-perfect shape.
Anyway, the moral of the story is that gold hammered coins come in on the Nox exactly where foil bottle caps come in. If I get a mid-tone and it is reasonably steady and it rings up as 13 it is most likely a bottle foil or similar.....but would you assume it was? Especially if your know there is any sort of possibility it could be a hammy? If you have found 13th/14th century and later silver hammies then there is always a possibility there is a gold one knocking around from the same vintage.
"The forest was shrinking, but the trees kept voting for the axe, for the axe was clever and convinced the trees that because his handle was made of wood he was one of them."
I-Rutus

Although I posted this in the Nox, section, it is of course useful for owners of other detectors :thumbsup:
Flossyrockstar

I-Rutus wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:33 pm As the Detecting Hub attracts new members, amongst them will be a scattering of new detectorists, new to detecting, or new to the Nox. But one thing we all have in common is the hope of maybe finding gold.

Gold is an intriguing metal, and may not behave like you think it should, so watch this video, then watch it again, and look at what the machine is telling you, and ignor low numbers at your peril, I can assure you others on the field won't!

In the UK and Europe you have to dig all positive numbers otherwise you will lose some really good targets :thumbsup:
Flossyrockstar

wrote:Blackadder43 post_id=3684 time=1596664217 user_id=2
I know the Nox doesnt have the notch feature,
Actually it does, it’s under accept/reject :thumbsup:
Mancaveman

I found a (Roman) gold ear ring that came in at a very poor 5 on the Equinox 800. Same as foil. Beware and ignore those low numbers at your peril. :thumbdown:
DaveP

Flossyrockstar wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 9:46 am In the UK and Europe you have to dig all positive numbers otherwise you will lose some really good targets :thumbsup:
Good advice. I recently re-checked an area where I had what was laughably called a hammy-hoard. Searching in Field 2 I got a really sharp (clear edges to the tone) 2 on the screen. Came up as a tiny broken piece, about an 1/8th, of an Eddy penny.

And yesterday a worn 1605 farthing at 13. In fact most older worn copper coins seem to ring 11-13 on my grounds.
The only problem I have with numbers from 9 and below with dull tones is apart from the one hammy fragment it's always tiny bits of foil or tiny bits of very thin silver-coloured metal and it can get a little tedious. But, as you say, there can be some important stuff at the bottom end of the scale.
Easylife

It is just so easy to dismiss targets especially in the small foil range. I suppose it just depends on where you are hunting, how many targets are about, and your mood? Though having first hand experience of finding a small gold fob split ring at just 1 on the Nox really brings home just what those low numbers might be? :thumbsup:
shaggybfc

I agree. We discussed this at a club meet. That’s why newbies seem to find the great finds when they start out - they dig everything and don’t discriminate. Al la the young lady that found the hoard of axe heads. You could have walked away from that thinking it was deep / big iron or a beer can.
I dig anything above 35 that isn’t obviously iron or coke - you just know when it’s coke.
Always carefully proof-read what you've typed to see if you've any words out.
Deus with 11" X35 and 9" HF coils. MI 6 pinpointer.
Jamesey1981

My quarter stater came up at 40 on the deus, scratchy and sounded like canslaw.

I always dig those targets, 99% of the time it's rubbish, but I don't want to miss the 1% that isn't.
That is not dead which can eternal lie,
And with strange aeons even death may die.

I'm a Mortgage Broker, please visit my website for help with your mortgage:
https://denariusmortgages.co.uk/
Easylife

Jamesey1981 wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 11:39 am My quarter stater came up at 40 on the deus, scratchy and sounded like canslaw.
That would be about 4 on the Nox.