Composite boots.

Easylife

I've wrecked a few pairs of boots through digging causing even a spade with foot plates to eventually puncture the mid-soles and even bend a steel shank in one pair. So I decided to buy a pair that were hopefully more up to the job. My minimum criteria was that they had to be sturdy, composite (metal free) and waterproof. An internet search narrowed it right down so about 2 years ago I bought a pair of Amblers Skomer A440 boots for about £65.
Skomer.jpg
They were good boots but I think that they forgot to install the waterproof liners as my feet soon got soaked just walking through some wet grass. So I returned them and got a replacement pair which did keep my feet dry. Being insulated my feet were toasty detecting in the cold winter and even on snow covered ground. But my spade eventually punctured the sole of those also.
(It may sound like my spade is to blame but it is not.)

So recently I had another internet search to see if I could find a similar spec pair that actually had a specific digging plate built in and today a pair of Rockfall Titanium boots arrived for £65.
Titanium.jpg
They are a good fit and I have been wearing them around the house this afternoon to break them in but they don't really need it. There is even less flex in the soles compared to the other pair, so that is beneficial for when walking on lumpy ground. I think they will serve me well for years to come. I'll see how they compare in the field. :thumbsup:

The other composite Rockfall boots look good value too.
D2 - 13"x11" coil - audio only.
Pete E

Thanks for the info, very interesting indeed..

I am currently using a pair of Hoggs of Fife Jason boots..These are sort of a traditional leather work boot and they seem to be holding up fine, but I am expecting the sole to go eventually, but I have had my wear from them..

The one down side of these boots is that they are insulated so can be very warm in summer.. What I would really like to find is an uninsulated low boot with a good strong sole for warm weather use, but I ve not had any luck so far..
Easylife

Pete E wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:57 pm What I would really like to find is an uninsulated low boot with a good strong sole for warm weather use, but I've not had any luck so far.
This boot may interest you then, check out the features.
https://www.rockfall.com/products/denver/
Steve_JT

These are the boots I wear, waterproof, warm in winter and are not hot in the summer. Diem All Terrain Mens Fishing Boots

I have used these for two seasons now and find them comfy with good ankle support and can wear them all day without issue, feet aren't sweaty when I take them off and feet never wet
They are £40 from Sports direct

Regards Steve
A foolish faith in authority, is the worst enemy of truth." Albert Einstein
Berryman

For the past 6 years I have used yard boots you can get them from Mole Valley Farmers they are around about £45 fleeced lined very warm in winter
HolzHammer

Wellies fer me..... nice ones mind! :D
Oxgirl

Wellies for me too
Yes I really don’t like Roman coins, I’m not joking
Easylife

HolzHammer wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 8:26 pm Wellies fer me..... nice ones mind! :D
I think I have seen them? :rollinglaughing:
75-717866-PNK_BLU-1000_2400x.jpg
Easylife

Oxgirl wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 9:44 am Wellies for me too.
All well and good if your feet don't complain. :thumbsup:
HolzHammer

Easylife wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 11:57 pm I think I have seen them? :rollinglaughing:

75-717866-PNK_BLU-1000_2400x.jpg
Those are the ones!!! Actually they are rather cool!
shaggybfc

And as it happens, out in my el-cheapo walking / detecting boots - from Karrrimor, and noticed I’d got a wet foot. Looking at the sole, it appears I have holed them with the spade, so I’m in the market for some replacements now...
Timely thread :thumbsup:
Always carefully proof-read what you've typed to see if you've any words out.
Deus with 11" X35 and 9" HF coils. MI 6 pinpointer.
Easylife

shaggybfc wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 12:32 pm And as it happens, out in my el-cheapo walking / detecting boots - from Karrimor, and noticed I’d got a wet foot. Looking at the sole, it appears I have holed them with the spade, so I’m in the market for some replacements now...
Timely thread :thumbsup:
I'd say go for a pair with solid sole and digging plate as many boots just have soles made of hollow cells that are not designed for digging, that's why they puncture. :thumbsup:

Karrimor used to be good quality but the name was sold and is applied to just low quality gear now.
Pete E

Easylife wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 1:25 pm
Karrimor used to be good quality but the name was sold and is applied to just low quality gear now.
Yes, I think the name was bought by Sports Direct and alot of the Karrimor branded stuff is not a patch on what it used to be...
Easylife

Easylife wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:39 pm
So recently I had another internet search to see if I could find a similar spec pair that actually had a specific digging plate built in and today a pair of Rockfall Titanium boots arrived for £65.
Titanium.jpg

The other composite Rockfall boots look good value too.
Six months on they have had a fair bit of use now and I am most impressed by the quality. They are comfortable, warm and really tough. They have been through sea water and boggy fields and not leaked at all. I recently hosed them off for the first time and found that the upper and sole are not even marked at all. They have laces but I just use the side zips for convenience. Far better than my previous Amblers. :thumbsup: