Any metal detecting superstitions?

figgis

Now me, I'll happily walk under a ladder, leave a trail of fish oil so that a black cat does follow me, smash a mirror if I've made a hash of me makeup, put any spilled salt back into the cellar, and take huge risks on Friday 13th. However...

I always greet the field, talk to it, and thank it at the end of the day before giving a votive offering of the last of my coffee :oops: Now, I've done it for so long I daren't not do it, as I've found some cracking stuff.

One which always seems to work is, on a particularly bad day, to ask fo rone more decent signal before calling it a day. Did that this morning and, after a few hours'-worth of nothing, a William III tanner turned up, literally within seconds. But I can only do that once per session otherwise I'll cods things up for the next outing.

There must be more out there who do similar if not more extreme? Please? :D
Steve_JT

I speak to the god of being allowed out, only if I get the nod or OK do I go...….....
(only when she who must be obeyed is not at work on the weekend)

Regards steve
A foolish faith in authority, is the worst enemy of truth." Albert Einstein
DaveP

That's weird as I was only thinking about this the other day and wondered whether to post the topic. The reason is that when we go sea fishing nobody, and I mean nobody, is allowed to have a banana on the boat - it's bad luck and is well known amongst sea fishermen. So I started to wonder about detecting good and bad luck.
All I know is that some of my better finds have come as I'm leaving the fields - I just wish I'd known to start there first!
Easylife

Err no, I'm not at all superstitious, religious or nothing, finds are just where they are and you can't change that at all. You just need to walk in the right place as anything can be anywhere! :thumbsup:
D2 - 13"x11" coil - audio only.
Dave The Slave

Routine ,always say, Thank You, when i find a coin or something interesting.
Items that are good by my lowly standards, get some water added to the hole to replenish the land.
On the beach, always look at watch for first coin..
Good Luck everyone, :thumbsup:
Dave.
figgis

Glad to see I'm not the only one then, Dave :D :thumbsup:

These things have become part of my field routine nowadays. Actually, they are my field routine. Everything else just happens as it happens - I don't insist on putting the right boot on first or anything like that.
Easylife

Dave The Slave wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 9:25 am Routine ,always say, Thank You, when i find a coin or something interesting.
Items that are good by my lowly standards, get some water added to the hole to replenish the land.
Surely you don't carry an ampulla of holy water? :o
Easylife

figgis wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 10:10 am I don't insist on putting the right boot on first or anything like that.
Better than putting the wrong boot on first! :lol:
Oxgirl

Have to have the same finds box. Not that it’s done me much good recently. I found and carried a four leaf clover for ages but then I gave it to someone and things have gone down hill since. Won’t be doing that with the next one I find :roll:
Yes I really don’t like Roman coins, I’m not joking
Pete E

Not a superstition as such, but I have noticed that an early find often sets the tone for the outing..

Take this evening, although I had other finds, I found a bird ring, and over the course of about 3 hours I found another 4...these were on different fields/pasture on the same hill farm..

Last week it was buckles...I found one early on, and then went on to find 3 or 4 more; none were anything special, but it's strange how things come up in groups...