Not A Coin I Would Expect....

Pete E

While out yesterday with the Nox, a strong 17 moo tube type signal turned out to be the French coin below...

It’s not a coin I would except to come across on a hill farm in North Wales. That said I have found Irish, Italian, Russian, and German coins of a similar age near by so I guess I shouldn’t be too surprised.

Although its not particularly old, it made I nice change to the usual Viccy and toasted George coppers that are my normal bread and butter. Also these foreign coins always make wonder what their story was and just how they ended up in a field in North Wales.
Attachments
AB7984AD-FD90-4996-A9D4-F95FFB26EE7E.jpeg
AB7984AD-FD90-4996-A9D4-F95FFB26EE7E.jpeg (48.24 KiB) Viewed 1285 times
57AAA1DF-0F0C-4EB8-98B3-1A61DD75BAB5.jpeg
57AAA1DF-0F0C-4EB8-98B3-1A61DD75BAB5.jpeg (46.53 KiB) Viewed 1285 times
Dave The Slave

Having found only ever 3 Victorian coins.
Nice to see one from the same era, albi a different country.
Has plenty of detail left on it.
Different find, thanks for showing. :thumbsup:
Dave.
Pete E

Dave The Slave wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 1:16 pm Having found only ever 3 Victorian coins.
Nice to see one from the same era, albi a different country.
Has plenty of detail left on it.
Different find, thanks for showing. :thumbsup:
Dave.
What part of the country are you in Dave? I have always thought Victorian coins were common place everywhere?
Oxgirl

Those French coins are remarkably common considering how few people travelled then. I've had a couple too :thumbsup:
Yes I really don’t like Roman coins, I’m not joking
Dave The Slave

Pete E wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 1:33 pm What part of the country are you in Dave? I have always thought Victorian coins were common place everywhere?
Bournemouth, although i detect in Hants.
One of the 3 Viccys was actually a 3d off the beach, after some groyne replacement work.
No shortage of Georgian Halfpennies though.
Dave. :thumbsup:
Bors

I`ve had a few of those Pete . My guess is they were brought back by Soldiers during the Napoleonic times as say,possible souvenirs from France .
I can`t see many package Holidays in those days being the reason. :lol:
Things aint cooking in my kitchen
figgis

Yep, I've had one of those too. No idea why there should be so many of them but there are. First French president (1848-52) and the last French monarch (1852-70) Yours is dated 1855 and mine's 1856. Wonder if there's a correlation in the dates of the coins as to why they are here?
Littleboot

No surprise to me to see these coming up. They were accepted as legal tender in the UK for a while due to copper shortages. (5 cents + ha'penny 10 = penny. pretty much the same size and metal content too. ) There was a kind of early version of the Euro where the European currencies converged in the mid to late 19th century and coins of similar value were identical size and metal value. Britain wasn't officially part of that monetary system but the coinage was close enough for associate membership. (Sixpence more or less identical size to 50 cents. I franc piece the same size as a shilling etc)
Here is France the reverse happens and I find ship ha'pennies and vicky pennies which are often counterstamped. Found two perfect vicky bunheads in the field next to our meadow. Total back of beyond as well. Plus an Argentinian coin which was late 19th century and imported to France by the ship load to act as emergency 10 cents pieces during a copper shortage.
Live long and prosper.
Easylife

I've found a few of these and my understanding is that as the were the same size and metal composition as a penny they were accepted and used as equal currency, which seems to make sense. :thumbsup:
D2 - 13"x11" coil - audio only.
Pete E

Littleboot wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 2:47 pm No surprise to me to see these coming up. They were accepted as legal tender in the UK for a while due to copper shortages. (5 cents + ha'penny 10 = penny. pretty much the same size and metal content too. ) There was a kind of early version of the Euro where the European currencies converged in the mid to late 19th century and coins of similar value were identical size and metal value. Britain wasn't officially part of that monetary system but the coinage was close enough for associate membership. (Sixpence more or less identical size to 50 cents. I franc piece the same size as a shilling etc)
Here is France the reverse happens and I find ship ha'pennies and vicky pennies which are often counterstamped. Found two perfect vicky bunheads in the field next to our meadow. Total back of beyond as well. Plus an Argentinian coin which was late 19th century and imported to France by the ship load to act as emergency 10 cents pieces during a copper shortage.
Thanks for that Jan, I never knew that...very interesting bit of history...just shows how long the French have been trying to get us in the Euro! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Pete E

Dave The Slave wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 1:59 pm Bournemouth, although i detect in Hants.
One of the 3 Viccys was actually a 3d off the beach, after some groyne replacement work.
No shortage of Georgian Halfpennies though.
Dave. :thumbsup:
Strange how things work out...I wonder if it's just your luck so to speak, or whether for some reason they were a bit more scarce in that part of the country?
TerraBritannia

A nice find Peter. :thumbsup:

I have a Cinq Centemes from 1854 and it has a hole drilled through one edge, it must have meant something to the owner to wear it as a pendant. :thumbsup:
TerraBritannia [previously known as TerraEnglandia] but Andy is my real name.
https://www.youtube.com/TerraBritannia
Minelab Equinox 800
Pete E

TerraEnglandia wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 8:59 pm A nice find Peter. :thumbsup:

I have a Cinq Centemes from 1854 and it has a hole drilled through one edge, it must have meant something to the owner to wear it as a pendant. :thumbsup:
Too late to be a keepsake from the Napoleonic Wars...It's the sort of thing that makes you wonder???
Saffron

You never know what you will turn up in this game.

I am sure that most of us "old hands" have found a foreign coin in "the middle of nowhere" and wondered how its got there and the story behind it, sadly normally we will never know. But they make a very pleasant change from the norm.

Some could be brought back as souvenirs, especially by soldiers in the time of wars. But I suspect most are due to commercial adventures and as Littleboot said by the 1850s most European countries were producing coins of a similar size and value so they were often accepted in other countries.

Evan
Saffron

This is NOT the item I was looking for to give background on the relationship between the size of different coins in Europe (pre the Euro) but it gives some suggestions for more recent times, such as the same machinery being able to produce coins for various counteis by only changing the dies, and so vending machines do not need adapting for each country. However, this relationship predates those ideas, but you can see how they would also benefit from it.

https://www.theguardian.com/notesandque ... 06,00.html

But of the reasons given this is the one I believe to be correct from what I had seen previously -
"It's a hangover from the days when a coin's value was in its metal. Thus, say, a silver crown had a known value in all countries, irrespective of where it was minted provided that the mint's assay system was recognised. "

Evan