yesterdays birthday dig

Kenleyboy

First time out for me metal detecting wise for ages and all in the good cause to celebrate a 75th Birthday . 100 acres for 30 people so plenty to go round and a big fat barbecue and beers after for the hardy souls bracing the heat . The fields were in stubble so not my favourite conditions and the ground was dry but surprisingly not too hard to dig in most places . The heat though was something else , not as unbearable as Friday just gone but hot enough which warranted short searches and then long cooling off periods in the shade . the landscape was wonderful as usual for Norfolk and the company was good fun couple of faces I had not seen for awhile and these situations allow time for a catch up and chat etc , all part of the days fun .
Had a short lesson in the merits of the Deus after one lovely Lady has loaned me a spare to play about with but thats another story , in the meantime my brain was hot enough as it was without adding to the heat so I opted for what I know best for now and that is the Q40 .
The finds were few and far between and no surprise due to the conditions but a few faired with a couple of hammered coins and a neat 13th centre silver ring with internal engraving that was not readable but gave an initial date line , lovely find .
My finds were less impressive but that is the stark reality of the hobby but we wouldn't participate if we didn't have any hope and despite the hunt hard going it was enjoyable all the same . I reckon if the field had been ploughed and rolled and a week of rain it would come alive , it certainly has the potential .
scrap bits.jpg
couple of pennies and bits.jpg
figgis

Kenleyboy wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 2:19 pm to celebrate a 75th Birthday
Who's?

All power to you for braving them conditions, Paul :thumbsup: I was off the field by 09.30 and headed for either a cold shower or the pub, can't remember which. Both, probably :D :thumbsup:
Dave The Slave

Not that many finds, Paul but as you say not really detecting marathon conditions but short sprints.
Got yourself a couple of coins, 1917 Penny.
Can`t quite make out the other or what it is ? Think i can see 1820 or 1830.
Cheers, :thumbsup:
Dave.
Easylife

Dave The Slave wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 2:54 pm Can`t quite make out the other or what it is ? Think i can see 1820 or 1830.
I see 1890. :thumbsup:
D2 - 13"x11" coil - audio only.
Easylife

It's just the luck of the draw which targets you happen to walk over and you were not so lucky there. But no doubt the good company and banter made up for it. :thumbsup:
D2 - 13"x11" coil - audio only.
Oxgirl

Happy birthday Paul :Party:

I was at a ‘thing’ yesterday where there were detectorists doing 8 hours detecting in 33 degree heat with no shade. I was wilting in the shade watching them and decided they were positively mad. Good luck to anyone detecting in these conditions as the ground is too hard and dry for my liking.

I’m waiting for the promised rain this week. One of my permissions was harvested yesterday and another field has just been fully cleared of beans and looks very inviting. Once we get a bit of the wet stuff my detector will be out :D
Yes I really don’t like Roman coins, I’m not joking
Kenleyboy

Oxgirl wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 3:56 pm Happy birthday Paul :Party:

I was at a ‘thing’ yesterday where there were detectorists doing 8 hours detecting in 33 degree heat with no shade. I was wilting in the shade watching them and decided they were positively mad. Good luck to anyone detecting in these conditions as the ground is too hard and dry for my liking.

I’m waiting for the promised rain this week. One of my permissions was harvested yesterday and another field has just been fully cleared of beans and looks very inviting. Once we get a bit of the wet stuff my detector will be out :D
Not my Birthday I might add , it was a friends but I may feel 75 after a big bottle dig , I am a fair way off that magical age :D

It was a little too hot and I don't like the heat much anyway so plenty of sitting in the shade and my mind boggles at those way off in the distance under the glare of the sun swinging merrily away .
figgis

Kenleyboy wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 5:20 pm I may feel 75 after a big bottle dig , I am a fair way off that magical age
In which direction?

Sorry, did I just say that out loud?
Oxgirl

figgis wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 5:40 pm In which direction?

Run John, run. He may seem mild mannered but he’s got muscles from all that bottle digging ;)
Yes I really don’t like Roman coins, I’m not joking
figgis

...and plenty of large holes in which to dispose of the body :shock:

Good idea :thumbsup:
Kenleyboy

figgis wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 5:40 pm In which direction?

I just knew it , I was trying to word it in such a way but there is always one :lol: